My Top Ten Albums...

artists such as Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Euphoria, have created some really good music.
Cheers

Fully agree venkat. All three are very good musicians. Like them a lot.

For example, listen to a song such as 'Pappu Can't Dance Saala' from Jaane Tu with a youngster, and you will get energy flowing into you. There are many such good songs.

However, "Pappu..." leaves me cold. I thot the title song was much better. Sorry:sad:

My point was not that we dont have good musicians today. What I was trying to say was that if you did a head-to-head comparison between the (lets say) top 5 musicians then and now, we all know which group would win hands down !!! There may be an all time great in ARR today but are there any more who would remain relevant even in 2050 ? Whereas, we can all reel off 10 names which were first head of 40 years ago and are still the rage today ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by moserw
I find mostly you prefer rock groups that are from the 1970s or before. How about some of the newer ones like Bon Jovi, GNR, Def Leppard, Aerosmith? You should (if you have not) give Van Halen a try. Amazing rock group and great guitar work. Another rock group with great music and guitar work is The Scorpions. Love them.

Quite correct moser - I do prefer 70s rock. I also have the greatest hits packs of Bon Jovi, GNR, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Scorpions and Van Halen and do listen to them as well. Its just that I dont like them as much as the ones on my earlier list. I dont mean to say that these guys are not good - its just a question of prioritising.

Speaking of Van Halen, does anyone know that the searing guitar riff in the middle of the Beat It song (Michael Jackson) was by Eddie Van Halen ?

'Old Is Gold' theory is not true of all vintage rock bands. I could never find the music of so called Cult bands like 'Rolling Stones','Beatles ' impressive if not inspiring. In fact I used to wonder why people are crazy about their music. To my ears bands like BeeGees, America, Bread, Simon & Garf ,Smokies , MLTR etc produced beautiful music compared to Beatles ; Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Scorpion, Eagles were Real rockers compared to band like Rolling Stones. You agree ?

Regards,
vjc

'Old Is Gold' theory is not true of all vintage rock bands. I could never find the music of so called Cult bands like 'Rolling Stones','Beatles ' impressive if not inspiring. In fact I used to wonder why people are crazy about their music. To my ears bands like BeeGees, America, Bread, Simon & Garf ,Smokies , MLTR etc produced beautiful music compared to Beatles ; Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Scorpion, Eagles were Real rockers compared to band like Rolling Stones. You agree ?

Regards,
vjc

I agree when it comes to The Rolling Stones. Never liked them and always wondered how come they were so popular. I do like The Beatles though.

I like a few beatles songs myself, but I like the cover versions by others even more :)
For example, all the songs in the movie "Across the Universe" are great. So is it the "Helen Merrill Sings The Beatles - XRCD24" album.

BTW, we missed "Vishal Bhardwaj" all together (got the cue from Nishant in the other thread). "Machis" and "Ishqa Ishqa" are master pieces.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi Suhas,

Jazz at Pawnshop
By Arne Domnerus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Ersrand, George Riedel, and Egil Johansen, XRCD, Label:FIM

Must have album, Period. But try to get XRCD version or atleast SACD one.

You are right, I have the HDCD that is great too. I plan to buy the LP soon. It is pretty expensive though!

Thanks,
Sharad

Mars bro, waiting for your list.

Hey moserw, This is an excellent thought from your end. Big Thank you for this. Thats the easy part.

For the hard part, this has been a hard one to come up as I have varioed taste and thats why my procrastination shows through. This is one time I wish I was picky! Anyway here goes by genre and in no particular order (warning - its a rather long note...):

BLUES :
* Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers
* B B King - Live In Cook County Jail
* Taj Mahal - Senor Blues
* Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea
* Eric Clapton - The Blues
* Koko Taylor - South Side Lady
* Etta James - At Last
* Albert King - In Session
* Stevie R Vaughan - Double Trouble
* Freddie King - Ultimate Collection
* T-Bone Walker - Complete Capitol Recordings
* Derek & Dominoes - Live At Fillmore

Classic Rock :

* Chuck Berry - The Great 28
* Allman Brothers Band - An Evening with the ABB
* CCR - Chronicle Vol. 1 & 2
* CSNY - Deja Vu
* Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
* Grateful Dead - Without a Net
* Deep Purple - Live in Japan
* Whitesnake (I know they were a passing fad but...) - Greatest Hits
* The Who - Who's Next
* Pink Floyd (I like waters and Gilmour individually) - Wish You Were Here
* Uriah Heep - Magician's Birthday
* Jethro Tull - Aqualung
* The Doors - LA Woman
* Steely Dan - Gaucho
* Humble Pie - Definitive Collection

HARD ROCK / METAL :

* AC DC - Back In Black
* Black Sabbath - Paranoid
* Iron Maiden - Power Slave
* Metallica - Master of Puppets
* GNR - Use Your Illusion 1/2

POP :

* Michael Jackson - Thriller
* Donna Summer - 4 seasons of Love
* Madonna - Like a Prayer
* Giorgio Moroder - e=mc^2

R&B / SOUL :

* Ray Charles - Genius & Soul
* Aretha Franklin - I never loved a Man Like I Loved YOu
* Isley Brothres - Love Songs
* Alicia Keys - Songs in A Minor
* Mary J Blige - No More Drama
* Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott
* Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On
* Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind
* Fourplay - Elixir
* Grover Washington - Winelight
* Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

FUSION :

* Shakti, Remember Shakti
* Zakir & Kunnakudi - Colours
* Ry Cooder w/ V M Bhatt - Meeting By The River
* Ry Cooder w/ Ali Toure - Talking Timbuktu
* L SUbramaniam & Stephan Grapelli - Coversations
* Ashwin Batish - Sitar Power
* Kadri Gopalnath, James Newton & Srinivasan - Southern Brothers
* Pavarotti & Friends

JAZZ :

* Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong - Complete Sessions
* Ella Fitzgerald - Portrait of Ella Fitzgerald
* John Coltrane - Love Supreme
* Thelonius Monk - Monk's Dream
* Shirley Horn - Here's To Life
* Miles Davis - 58 Sessions
* Michael Buble (have heard only 1 album so far but I like him) - Call me Irresponsible
* Herbie Hancock - Possibilities
* Wynton Marsalis - Jazz At Lincoln Center
* Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
* Afro Cuban All Stars - A Toda Cuba Le Gusta

REGGAE :

* Peter Tosh - Captured Live
* Burning Spear - Hail HIM
* Marley - Babylon By Bus
* Bunny Wailer - Liberation
* Culture - Baldhead Bridge

CLASSICAL/DEVOTIONAL (artists) :
* Balamurali
* Bombay Sisters
* Subbulakshmi
* Jasraj
* Hariprasad
* Zakir
* shivkumar Sharma
* Gundecha Brothers
* TN Krishnan
* Lalgudi Jayaraman
* Kunnakudi
* Srinivas
* Priya Sisters

MOVIES & OTHERS (artists):

* Lata
* Rafi
* Ghulam Ali
* Nusrat
* Manna Dey
* Kishore
* Udit Narayan
* Anuradha Paudwal
* Jagjit
* SP Balasubramaniam
* Shailaja

Last edited:
I love Chitra Subramanian's voice too, but don't get to hear that enough. Any recommendations?

Tanks,
Sharad

Thanks Murali bhai for mentioning some of these songs. I was thinking of mentioning some of my favorite songs instead of albums/artists but that would take ages and also be a never ending list I suppose. I really love Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas even the remixed version of it. Too bad I could never procure a complete CD of Carl Douglas' work to see his other work. Footloose too is great. Coming to Doctor Zhivago, not just the theme or the music, the entire movie if just too good, the visuals of Russia are so amazing. David Lean was a magician with the camera. I've not heard Hey Fattie BomBom thought but its available on YouTube so I will listen to it online.

Hai Venkat,

Good to see your list,
Paloma Blanca & Save all your kisses for me, is my favourite too.
I hope you would have heard the following songs,
KungFu-Fighting,
Hey Fattie BomBom,
Thats the way I like it,
Foot loose,
Laura's Theme from Dr.Zhivago,
Coffee Song- Osibisa,
You sexy thing,
Pop corn at the movies,
Boogie Nights
One way ticket.

Thanks,

N Murali

Thanks Pradski for sharing. Yeah, it's becoming quite an exhaustive but yet informative thread. Even I've picked up a lot of albums/artists and recommendations from so many wonderful people here.

Joe Cocker is amazing though probably did not realize his full potential. I love his gravelly voice and the very easy listening mode he sings in. Among others I have The Best Of Joe Cocker album and I would recommend it, but his Greatest Hits and 20th Century Masters compilations have better selections.

Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music are great, do check out the album Avalon from Roxy Music, a great album. Also Slave To Love: Best of the Ballads by Bryan Ferry is another great album.

J.J. Cale is another great performer. His rendition of Cocaine is probably the best.

Bread is another favorite of mine though very few have heard of them or hear them. I find them missing along with The Byrds (another favorite of mine) the most among rock groups mentioned (well at least these two come to mind right now, but probably there are lots of others missing too).

Ditto for Traffic and ZZ Top. ZZ Top is really fun too. Coming to Traffic I have almost all of their albums.

Dio, I've never heard much, but I am not really a fan of Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne.

David Gray, I've not heard.

Matchbox Twenty is great, but I'm more a fan of Rob Thomas and love his album Something To Be. The song Lonely No More introduced me to Rob Thomas and then to Matchbox Twenty. A lovely track... do check it out on YouTube that is if you have not already.

Not too much into Nickelback, Verve or Coldplay though I do hear them but not an ardent fan of them.

Even I'm discovering the usefulness of YouTube in discovering/checking out new artists. Like you said there is so much more, but cannot even begin to list them all down. Anyways thanks so much for sharing...

hi,

it was an exhaustive thread. Anyway since i could not go through in detailed way. Though I do have lot of the collections of the said above.
I would like to add some of the good ones from my side.
Joe cocker
Roxy music
(I knew only jealous guy since twenty years after that movie flashbacks of a fool I got their debut album. It is really fantastic. )

Bread ( I love these people and david gates)
Dio ( You should own their best)
J J cale ( His best is worth )
Traffic ( it is beautiful)
ZZ top.

Like venkat mentioned I listen to lot of new age also.
I buy all the years best, like modern rock 2004,5,6 like that and and try them downloading then if i like I will buy their best. Like that I have leart lot of bands.

David gray He is good
Match box twenty,
Nickelback
Verve
cold play and so on.
Ofcourse difficult to listen to albums. We could do it in our college days we had time and cassetes were available from Rs20.
Now buying original CD s is an expensive affair.
So I buy all the best and gold albums.

Learning from you tube it is really great.
I do this. On top of it we can see the guys first time. Having heard them and appreciating for over 20 years many of us do not know how our favourite musicians look. ( Atleast many of them)

Jazz I have bought from reviews from AV Max.
Western Classical I have bought many of the the 25 greatest works

Indian classical I have by thier reputation. Now I have lot to acquire after having seen so many recommendations by many of you.
Thanks

Fully agree venkat. All three are very good musicians. Like them a lot.

However, "Pappu..." leaves me cold. I thot the title song was much better. Sorry:sad:

My point was not that we dont have good musicians today. What I was trying to say was that if you did a head-to-head comparison between the (lets say) top 5 musicians then and now, we all know which group would win hands down !!! There may be an all time great in ARR today but are there any more who would remain relevant even in 2050 ? Whereas, we can all reel off 10 names which were first head of 40 years ago and are still the rage today ......

look at this way. . . There are more genres and more talents and more avenues in music today than ever. . . . Then how come the older are better?. . . Its not only in english but be it regional or hindi people tell older is better than new. . . Thats too many variables to think this is true
the reason is that brain tends to register those music as good whose sound modulations are registered as music from previous experience. . . Anything that is new is difficult to enjoy. . Lets take the rock scene as an example. . . critically acclaimed bands now include radiohead, tool, whitestripes. . . There wont be many here who love all 3. . But most love their yesteryear counterparts.
Again, many rocks bands werent loved in their time as ht is now(the doors). Then there are less creative newer ones who exploit familiar sound to make chart busters(linkin park). . But they are written off as talentless
it isnt that there arent any good songs now. . Its this effect plus nostalgic and psycological (old is gold bragging)reasons that makes old better. Heard melodies are sweet but unheard melodies are sweeter:)

I have to mention Michael Learns To Rock is such a favorite with me. Another favorite band was Roxette and their songs like Joyride, Fading Like A Flower were a blast. Both seem to be MIA at least where chart topping action is concerned. But love them both very much, some great music from both of them.

Regards,
vjc

BTW, we missed "Vishal Bhardwaj" all together (got the cue from Nishant in the other thread). "Machis" and "Ishqa Ishqa" are master pieces.

Thanks,
Sharad

I've not heard Ishqa Ishqa (will check it out), but in total agreement about Maachis.

Some of my Favourate albhums composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy

Rockford
Song--aasman ke baad shayad

Dilchahtha hai
Title Song and Kaisi hai ye ruth ki jaise

Kal hona ho
the title song

Taare zameen par
The title song / Meri maaa

Don

Aaj ki raath---Rahman used this song in Slum Dog.

lakshya
Main Aisa Kyun Hoon/kitini batein

Kyun! Ho Gaya Na
Aaa o naaa

Salaam-e-Ishq
Sayyaa re Sayyaa

Don't know i missed any songs...

Last edited:
Another band I wanted to add is

Bad company.

they are great. Paul Rodgers voice is great. Infact he sang with new Queen.

Their old albums had many good numbers.
YOu can find best in the album called 10 from 6.
After that their last albums were - Holy water and - Here comes trouble.
Here comes trouble is an excellent album.

sanjay khanna, thanks and I have all those you mentioned.

Last edited:
Hi marsilians and the rest of the wonderful people following and even more so contributing to this thread. This was truly a huge list and one I did not want to reply as I was traveling. Now I'm back home let's see...

To begin with mars buddy thanks for sharing. Lots of great albums here. Some I've heard and own and then there are others I have not, but hopefully now I will...

Well to begin with the blues list - Have heard and love B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Etta James, & T-Bone Walker. I love Eric Clapton and Derek & The Dominoes but mainly for their rock music. I wanted to add Muddy Waters - Folk Singer as a must have album in the blues category but I see you've listed that in the R&B and Jazz section. Another must have album (though probably not critically acclaimed or in the league mentioned above, but still a personal favorite) is Gary Moore's Ballads & Blues, the guitar has a voice of its own! I've never heard Robert Johnson, but after reading the reviews have ordered this album on Amazon.

Classic Rock - Chuck Berry's guitaring is amazing and I've quite a few of his albums, ditto for Allman Brothers, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (have almost all of their albums), Led Zeppelin (have all their albums), Deep Purple (have most of their albums), Pink Floyd (again have all their albums), Jethro Tull (more for Ian Anderson), The Doors (have all their albums but personal favorite is Jim Morrison's An American Prayer), and Steely Dan (limited to only their best of compilation album). I used to listen to The Grateful Dead but most of their albums are on tape. I somehow lost out on them or something because I never bothered to acquire any of their albums on CD and now really don't even listen to them. Guess I need to rediscover them. Whitesnake was only on MTV and I never really heard them other than on TV, but another band from that era that I used to listen a lot was Europe, their track The Final Countdown was popular everywhere. Never followed The Who, Uriah Heep much. Never heard of Humble Pie, guess no one in my circle heard of them so no intro to them.

Hard Rock/Metal - Not a genre I listen to much these days, but used to listen a lot when I was younger. Don't know if Black Sabbath can be categorized here, but used to hear them along with Metallica and GNR. AC/DC well they were even harsher and harder than metal or at least I thought but Highway to Hell and Back in Black are must have albums even now I would say. Iron Maiden I have a couple of their albums but never got in too deep into them, I suppose my hard metal days were more or less over by the time I got introduced to Iron Maiden.

Pop - Was a genre I was crazy about/probably still am but mainly music from the 1980s. Sometimes I feel the best music came from the 80s. Michael Jackson, well I have all his albums and even the ones from Jackson 5. Donna Summer is a personal favorite, She Works Hard for the Money was played so much on MTV. Madonna well was in heavy rotation at one time and I do have all her albums, but not so much these days. Giorgio Moroder I've heard of only recently and that too from this forum, I've ordered a couple of his CDs on Amazon but they've not yet arrived.

R&B & Soul - Marvin Gaye is someone I listen to a lot and have most of his albums, started with Isaac Hayes recently. Alicia Keys is a must and I have all her albums, Mary J. Blige some of her older albums, but none recently, ditto for Stevie Wonder. I have the best of/greatest hits compilations of Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin but not much in terms of individual studio albums. I've heard the Isley Brothers but not much. Never heard Jill Scott, Fourplay and Grover Washington though. One more artist apart from Marvin Gaye I listen to in this genre is Al Green, amazing voice, do check out his greatest hits compilation.

Fusion - Not a genre I've heard much, but I do have the album Pavarotti & Friends. Will start with the album Remember Shakti since a lot of people have recommended it to me.

Jazz - Have the best of/greatest hits compilations of Louis Armstrong but not Duke Ellington. Have quite a few albums of Ella Fitzgerald and have most of the albums of Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and Wynton Marsalis. I have Afro Cuban All Stars - A Toda Cuba Le Gusta too and its a great collection. Never heard John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Shirley Horn, or Oscar Peterson Trio. Coming to Michael Bubl I have 2 of his albums Call Me Irresponsible & Come Fly With Me both of which my cousin got for me, but I did not like him all that much.

Reggae - I guess one cannot look beyond Bob Marley in this genre and ditto for me too. I've not heard Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Bunny Wailer and Culture. My favorites in reggae apart from the legend Bob Marley are UB40 and Inner Circle (guess too much of MTV) but yeah I grew up on them at least in reggae.

Classical - Well not too much into this genre either. Have heard Beethoven a few times along with Mozart and Bach, but not too much.

Movies & Others - Well I've heard most of the artists you've mentioned but mainly cause my mom is majorly into classic/old hindi film music, ghazals, etc.

There are a lot of groups/artists in fact way too many that I cannot even remember/recall to mention all of them... but what I can remember off the top of my head... Do check them out at least greatest hits compilations, but I'm quite sure you already have most of their works.

Simply Red, Annie Lennox/Eurythmics, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, KLF, Jimi Hendrix, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, Lionel Richie & The Commodores, Journey, Styx, Traffic, Tom Petty (Full Moon Fever album is a must have), Johnny Hates Jazz, A-Ha, Air Supply, Scorpions, The Police, Shaggy, Bachman-Turner Overdrive... oh well I give up. Way too many to remember and list and I'm sure it will take days or weeks or maybe even months and yet I would end up forgetting a few so I better leave it at this now and add later as and when I remember/recall.

Thanks so much for sharing buddy!!!

Hey moserw, This is an excellent thought from your end. Big Thank you for this. Thats the easy part.

For the hard part, this has been a hard one to come up as I have varioed taste and thats why my procrastination shows through. This is one time I wish I was picky! Anyway here goes by genre and in no particular order (warning - its a rather long note...):

BLUES :
* Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers
* B B King - Live In Cook County Jail
* Taj Mahal - Senor Blues
* Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea
* Eric Clapton - The Blues
* Koko Taylor - South Side Lady
* Etta James - At Last
* Albert King - In Session
* Stevie R Vaughan - Double Trouble
* Freddie King - Ultimate Collection
* T-Bone Walker - Complete Capitol Recordings
* Derek & Dominoes - Live At Fillmore

Classic Rock :

* Chuck Berry - The Great 28
* Allman Brothers Band - An Evening with the ABB
* CCR - Chronicle Vol. 1 & 2
* CSNY - Deja Vu
* Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
* Grateful Dead - Without a Net
* Deep Purple - Live in Japan
* Whitesnake (I know they were a passing fad but...) - Greatest Hits
* The Who - Who's Next
* Pink Floyd (I like waters and Gilmour individually) - Wish You Were Here
* Uriah Heep - Magician's Birthday
* Jethro Tull - Aqualung
* The Doors - LA Woman
* Steely Dan - Gaucho
* Humble Pie - Definitive Collection

HARD ROCK / METAL :

* AC DC - Back In Black
* Black Sabbath - Paranoid
* Iron Maiden - Power Slave
* Metallica - Master of Puppets
* GNR - Use Your Illusion 1/2

POP :

* Michael Jackson - Thriller
* Donna Summer - 4 seasons of Love
* Madonna - Like a Prayer
* Giorgio Moroder - e=mc^2

R&B / SOUL :

* Ray Charles - Genius & Soul
* Aretha Franklin - I never loved a Man Like I Loved YOu
* Isley Brothres - Love Songs
* Alicia Keys - Songs in A Minor
* Mary J Blige - No More Drama
* Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott
* Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On
* Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind
* Fourplay - Elixir
* Grover Washington - Winelight
* Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

FUSION :

* Shakti, Remember Shakti
* Zakir & Kunnakudi - Colours
* Ry Cooder w/ V M Bhatt - Meeting By The River
* Ry Cooder w/ Ali Toure - Talking Timbuktu
* L SUbramaniam & Stephan Grapelli - Coversations
* Ashwin Batish - Sitar Power
* Kadri Gopalnath, James Newton & Srinivasan - Southern Brothers
* Pavarotti & Friends

JAZZ :

* Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong - Complete Sessions
* Ella Fitzgerald - Portrait of Ella Fitzgerald
* John Coltrane - Love Supreme
* Thelonius Monk - Monk's Dream
* Shirley Horn - Here's To Life
* Miles Davis - 58 Sessions
* Michael Buble (have heard only 1 album so far but I like him) - Call me Irresponsible
* Herbie Hancock - Possibilities
* Wynton Marsalis - Jazz At Lincoln Center
* Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
* Afro Cuban All Stars - A Toda Cuba Le Gusta

REGGAE :

* Peter Tosh - Captured Live
* Burning Spear - Hail HIM
* Marley - Babylon By Bus
* Bunny Wailer - Liberation
* Culture - Baldhead Bridge

CLASSICAL/DEVOTIONAL (artists) :
* Balamurali
* Bombay Sisters
* Subbulakshmi
* Jasraj
* Hariprasad
* Zakir
* shivkumar Sharma
* Gundecha Brothers
* TN Krishnan
* Lalgudi Jayaraman
* Kunnakudi
* Srinivas
* Priya Sisters

MOVIES & OTHERS (artists):

* Lata
* Rafi
* Ghulam Ali
* Nusrat
* Manna Dey
* Kishore
* Udit Narayan
* Anuradha Paudwal
* Jagjit
* SP Balasubramaniam
* Shailaja

I have a couple of their albums. Their earlier work/albums were pretty good, but not the latter ones. I guess way too many changes in the line up.

Another band I wanted to add is

Bad company.

they are great. Paul Rodgers voice is great. Infact he sang with new Queen.

Their old albums had many good numbers.
YOu can find best in the album called 10 from 6.
After that their last albums were - Holy water and - Here comes trouble.
Here comes trouble is an excellent album.

sanjay khanna, thanks and I have all those you mentioned.

james blunt - back to bedlam , one of the best albums, even it was banned for 2 years by some radio station for asking the same album songs repeatedly...

Ronojoy, though I agree with you that today's music is a little tough for us to understand, it may not be true to say that they cannot produce good music today. Leaving aside film music, artists such as Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Euphoria, have created some really good music. Even in film music there have been some really good numbers that, at least, I want to listen to again and again. What we must do is to listen to these numbers with a slightly open mind.

For example, listen to a song such as 'Pappu Can't Dance Saala' from Jaane Tu with a youngster, and you will get energy flowing into you. There are many such good songs.

In Tamil, I have recently fallen in love with what are called 'Tappangootu Songs'. These are actually based on fast folks songs, or rather songs that rickshaw wallahs sings after they get totally drunk. There is a little vulgarity to the songs, and the lyrics are downright silly. But if you can take that with a pinch of salt, I find a beauty to the rhythm and the way the songs are sung.

Cheers

This is a very nice thread - thanks for Moserw!

And Venkat - very few people are able to take in Carnatic music as well as Dappankuthu songs. So, enjoy it while you may!:)

And Venkat - very few people are able to take in Carnatic music as well as Dappankuthu songs. So, enjoy it while you may!:)

This may not make sense to people who don't understand Tamil or Tamil film songs, but recently, I got a CD made of the following songs:

(01) WHERE IS THE PARTY. Singers: Mukesh, Priyadarshani. Film: SILAMBATTAM
(02) NAAKA MUKA. Singers: Vijay Anthony. Film: KAADHALIL VIZHUNDHEN
(03) MADURAIKKU POGATHADEE. Singers: Benny Dhayal, Archit, Darshana. Film: AZHAGIYA TAMILMAGAN
(04) DADDY MUMMY. Singers: Mamta Mohandas, Naveen. Film: VILLU
(05) TAXI TAXI. Singers: Benny Dhayal, Blaaze, Javed Ali, Viviane Chaix. Film: SAKKARAKATTI
(06) VAADA MAPILLEY. Singers: Tipu, Rita. Film: VILLU
(07) GEMINI GEMINI. Singers: SPB, Anuradha. Film: GEMINI
(08) KOKKARAKKO. Singers: Udit Narayan, Sujatha. Film: GILLI
(09) APPADI PODU. Singers: Kay Kay, Anuradha Sriram. Film: GILLI
(10) KANNUM KANNUM. Singers: Jakki, Leela. Film: VANJIKOTTAI VAALIBAN
(11) APPAN PANNA. Singers: Pushpavanam Kuppusamy, Anuradha Sriram. Film: THIRUPACHI
(12) ANDANQKKA. Singers: Jassie Gift, Kay Kay, Shreya Ghoshal, Saindhavi. Film: ANNIYAN
(13) VAADIYAMMA. Singer: Udit Narayan. Film: THIRUPACHI
(14) ARUVA MEESAI. Singers: Manicka Vinayagam, Vithu Prabhakar. Film: DHOOL
(15) KALYANAMTHAN. Singers: Yugendran, Kay Kay, Srilekha Paratahsarathy. Film: SAMY

I must confess :)o) that I am thoroughly enjoying all the songs, listening to them at least once a day. These songs really make me feel alive.

But, TheVortex, as you say, I am not sure how many days I will enjoy these songs. Let us see.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back