My Top Ten Albums...

moserw

Please list your favorite or top ten albums of all time. Anything goes, any artist, any genre, whether available or not, does not matter. Just a way to share your favorite albums and artists and a way for the rest to discover new albums and artists. Hope everybody chips in and does not let this thread die. I for one will seriously/religiously follow it and also go about trying to procure the listed albums for my personal use.

1. ABBA- Greatest Hits-I&II, The Arrival.
2. Boney-M - Take the heat off me, Night Flight to Venus, Oceans of Fantasy.
3. The Beegees - Greatest Hits.
4. Giorgio Moroder - From Here to Eternity, E=MC2.
5. Donna Summers - Bad Girls,
6. Michael Jackson - Thriller , Bad
7. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.
8. AlanParsons Project- Vulture Culture
9. Police - Zenyatta Mondatta, Synchronocity
10 Huey Lewis- Small world.

The albums quoted are all from Western Pop.
In Indian Film Music my fav is Ilaiyaraaja( all songs)

N Murali.

Thanks Murali,

We have similar tastes. I have the following albums from your list: ABBA-Greatest Hits, Boney-M - Night Flight to Venus, Oceans of Fantasy, The Bee Gees - Greatest Hits, Donna Summers - Bad Girls, Michael Jackson - Thriller, Bad, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Police - Synchronocity.

Now I need to get the others. Love Ilayaraja too.

Thanks for sharing!

ouch!!! thats going to take some effort! some are easy to list, some require thinking...

1. pink floyd - animals
2. the doors - strange days
3. jimmy hendrix - band of gypsys
4. megadeth - countdown to extinction
5. led zeppelin - zoso
6. iron maiden - power slave
7. remember shakti - a handful of beauty
8. pink floyd - pipers at the gates of dawn
9. ac/dc - high voltage
10 indian ocean - kandisa

Hai Moserw,

Thanks for ur thread . I hope u would have heard GIORGIO MORODER. He is "Mr.Disco". Both of his albums are a must have.

Thanks,

Murali.N

Unfortunately, I have not. But now I will with your recommendation. This is a great way to discover new artists.

moserw,

great thread, it is difficult to grade the albums. But definitely i will put in the groups and their best

black sabbath,

Led zep

deep purple

Guns n roses

dire straits

Santana

Scorpions

Bon jovi

the last one will be Rainbow, whitesnake, U2 and Journey so on.

Hello,

Here are my favorites:
Wham/Faith - George Michael
Serious Hits Live/But Seriously - Phil Collins
Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
Best of Me - Bryam Adams
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Thriller/BAD - Michael Jackson
Now and Forever - Richard Marx
Instrumentals - Kenny G, Richard Clayderman
Most albums from groups like MLTR/Backstreet Boys/Boyzone/Savage Garden
Also Groups like Chicago, REM, UB40

And the favorites list just goes on ...

Thanks Moserw for starting this posting.

Cheers

moserw,

great thread, it is difficult to grade the albums. But definitely i will put in the groups and their best

black sabbath,

Led zep

deep purple

Guns n roses

dire straits

Santana

Scorpions

Bon jovi

the last one will be Rainbow, whitesnake, U2 and Journey so on.

Thanks Pradski,

I note that we have many, many favorite artists in common like Led Zeppelin (have all their albums), Deep Purple (have most of their albums), Guns'N'Roses, Dire Straits (have all their albums and solo albums of Mark Knopfler too), Santana, Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Rainbow, U2 and Journey. Have not heard much of Whitesnake, but will start with a Greatest Hist/Best Of compilation.

Others I would add in the genre you've mentioned would be Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Eagles, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Nirvana, Eric Clapton/Cream, Pink Floyd to name a very few.

Hello,

Here are my favorites:
Wham/Faith - George Michael
Serious Hits Live/But Seriously - Phil Collins
Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
Best of Me - Bryam Adams
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Thriller/BAD - Michael Jackson
Now and Forever - Richard Marx
Instrumentals - Kenny G, Richard Clayderman
Most albums from groups like MLTR/Backstreet Boys/Boyzone/Savage Garden
Also Groups like Chicago, REM, UB40

And the favorites list just goes on ...

Thanks Moserw for starting this posting.

Cheers

Nphutane,

Thanks so much for sharing. I note again that we have lots in common and I have most of the albums you've mentioned like Wham/Faith - George Michael, Serious Hits Live/But Seriously - Phil Collins, Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen, Best of Me - Bryam Adams, Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits, Thriller/BAD - Michael Jackson, Now and Forever - Richard Marx, Instrumentals - Kenny G, Richard Clayderman, Most albums from groups like MLTR/Backstreet Boys/Boyzone/Savage Garden.

I too love Chicago, REM, & UB40. It seems like we are a perfect match at least in our musical tastes.

To the instrumental I would add Vangelis and Yanni, especially Vangelis (he's has a streak of genius in him that the others just don't have, though with no offense as all are accomplished musicians).

I do love Richard Marx so much. He is really an underrated artist. His ballads are so romantic and I can listen to Right Here Waiting, Now and Forever, Hazard among others for hours on end.

Do check out Gary Moore - Ballads & Blues album if you have not. Great guitar riffs with ballads. Seeing you like UB40 you should check out Inner Circle too. Love Bob Marley the most though.

Hi moserw
you have started a good thread.
These are all I can remember "QUICKLY" so they must be my favourite ???

1) UB40 - Labour of love - I
2) Elvis - greatest hits
3) George Michael - Listen without prejudice
4) Yaz or Yazoo - upstairs at eric's
5) ZZ Top - eliminator
6) Kraftwerk - Man Machine
7) Isaac Hayes - Theme from Shaft ***
8) Wham - Make it big
9) Dire straits - Communique
10) The Police - Synchronicity

Music is an ocean I love all types of music (Indian/Western Classical (I hardly understand them but if it feels good to ear I listen), POP, Rock, jazz I even have M.S. Subbalaxmi "Vishnusahasranam" vinyl Though I dont understand south Indian language - great voice

***Issac Hayes theme from TV Series shaft is I believe greatest theme of all time if I had audiophile hifi setup I would love to hear that theme on it

thanks everyone

Hi moserw
you have started a good thread.
These are all I can remember "QUICKLY" so they must be my favourite ???

1) UB40 - Labour of love - I
2) Elvis - greatest hits
3) George Michael - Listen without prejudice
4) Yaz or Yazoo - upstairs at eric's
5) ZZ Top - eliminator
6) Kraftwerk - Man Machine
7) Isaac Hayes - Theme from Shaft ***
8) Wham - Make it big
9) Dire straits - Communique
10) The Police - Synchronicity

Music is an ocean I love all types of music (Indian/Western Classical (I hardly understand them but if it feels good to ear I listen), POP, Rock, jazz I even have M.S. Subbalaxmi "Vishnusahasranam" vinyl Though I dont understand south Indian language - great voice

***Issac Hayes theme from TV Series shaft is I believe greatest theme of all time if I had audiophile hifi setup I would love to hear that theme on it

thanks everyone

Hitensitapara,

Thanks so much for sharing. At the outset thanks for mentioning the Theme from Shaft by Isaac Hayes. I cannot say I remember it though I have seen the movie a long time ago, but have not seen the TV series. I will definitely look to getting it now that you've mentioned it. Coming to themes my favorite ones are probably the most popular one of all the James Bond theme music, Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer from the Beverly Hills Cop series, Mission Impossible to name a few. Not sure if they count as theme music but I love the background score from the movie The Last of the Mohicans (a great movie too), the song (Everything I Do) I Do It for You by Bryan Adams from the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and most recently Extreme Ways by Moby from the Bourne series.

I do have all of the albums mentioned by you except Upstairs at Eric's by Yazoo and will get that one too seeing our taste in music is so similar.

Albums apart from ones mentioned.
1. Oasis- Definitely maybe, stop the clocks(compilation)
2. Trainspotting 1 & 2 (soundtrack)
3. Vanesse mae- Classical album
4. Gustavo santaollala-ron rocco(instrumental . Highly recommended)

My top albums/groups
Rock & Reggae
The Doors
AC/DC Back in black
Pink Floyd The Wall
Dire Straits Dire Straits
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses
Chris Daughtry
Bob Marley
UB40
Pop
ABBA
James Blunt
Leo Sayer
Blues
BB King
Muddy Waters Gold
John Mayer Where the light is
Eric Clapton
Ray Charles - Friends
Opera
The Best of Andrew Lloyd Webber
Indian Classical
Sanjeev Abhyankar
Pandit Jasraj
Bhimsen Joshi
Veena Sahasrabuddhe
Malini Rajurkar
Kishori Amonkar
Fusion
Shakti Saturday Night in Mumbai
Bikram Ghosh - Rhythmscapes

and plenty more :D

Nphutane,

Thanks so much for sharing. I note again that we have lots in common and I have most of the albums you've mentioned like Wham/Faith - George Michael, Serious Hits Live/But Seriously - Phil Collins, Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen, Best of Me - Bryam Adams, Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits, Thriller/BAD - Michael Jackson, Now and Forever - Richard Marx, Instrumentals - Kenny G, Richard Clayderman, Most albums from groups like MLTR/Backstreet Boys/Boyzone/Savage Garden.

I too love Chicago, REM, & UB40. It seems like we are a perfect match at least in our musical tastes.

To the instrumental I would add Vangelis and Yanni, especially Vangelis (he's has a streak of genius in him that the others just don't have, though with no offense as all are accomplished musicians).

I do love Richard Marx so much. He is really an underrated artist. His ballads are so romantic and I can listen to Right Here Waiting, Now and Forever, Hazard among others for hours on end.

Do check out Gary Moore - Ballads & Blues album if you have not. Great guitar riffs with ballads. Seeing you like UB40 you should check out Inner Circle too. Love Bob Marley the most though.

Good to know MoserW that thee are a lot of common interest in the type of music that we listen too.
Music is a convenient way for me to relax when ever I need to, so generally I stick to anything that is soft on ears, well mostly.
Thanks for the suggestions .. Gary Moore, Inner Circle ... Vangelis Yanni ...
Also off late I have been listening to "Yoga Chill Vol.1" and love it when I play it in the night ..
Surely will continue to keep adding to this thread and taking inputs from others...

Cheers

moserw
I have mp3 version of shaft theme which I can email you. my email is [email protected] There are different version of the theme. Issac hayes received two grammy and one academy award for it.

And Hi RahulH
No Kumar Gandharv in your list ???
Thanks everyone

Albums apart from ones mentioned.
1. Oasis- Definitely maybe, stop the clocks(compilation)
2. Trainspotting 1 & 2 (soundtrack)
3. Vanesse mae- Classical album
4. Gustavo santaollala-ron rocco(instrumental . Highly recommended)

Hi Jith,

I have Oasis What's the Story Morning Glory and love it, but never followed their work/albums after that, guess I need to now. Love the movie Trainspotting, but never heard the OST. Love Vanessa Mae and have most of her work, do check out the group Bond, 4 women performing in a similar setting/vein. I've never heard Gustavo Santaollala, but will definitely check him out now that you recommend him so highly. Thanks for sharing.

Impossible to restrict myself to Top 10 - a Top 50 would be more like it. Anyway, here goes :-

1. Pink Floyd - According to me, the Badshahs [Dark Side..., Wall, Animals, Final Cut, Wish You .., Meddle, Atom Heart...]
2. Simon & Garfunkel - I'm surprised no one mentioned them [Bridge Over...., Parsley Sage ...., Sounds of Silence, Bookends]
3. Bob Dylan - Simply cant exclude him [Greatest Hits (single CD) and Biograph (3 CD set) would be a good starting point]
4. Led Zeppelin - Plant & Page would walk into any hall of fame [Remasters double CD set]
5. Jethro Tull [Aqualung, Thick as a Brick (single song of 45 mins !!!), Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses]
6. Grateful Dead [American Beauty, Terrapin Station]
7. Dire Straits [Love Over Gold, Making Movies, Brothers in Arms]
8. The Who [Tommy, Quadrophenia]
9. Deep Purple [Greatest Hits]
10. Uriah Heep [Greatest Hits]
11. Beatles [1]
Whew !! I could go on and on.....

Wow Rahul,

Great putting them in categories. We do SHARE A LOT in common in some categories. We also DON'T SHARE A LOT in common in some categories. Most notably my favorites too are The Doors (Love Jim Morrison) and you have to get Jim Morrison's An American Prayer that is if you don't have it already!!! I'm not much into AC/CD but have the album Back In Black, have all the albums of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, and Bob Marley. Jethro Tull I have the Aqualung album that was my introduction to them, I'm looking to collect more works of Ian Anderson. I also have selected works of UB40 and really love their old songs. I have not heard Chris Daughtry, guess that's next on the agenda.

Coming to pop, have all of ABBA and Leo Sayer, but James Blunt only Back To Bedlam and have not followed him after that.

In blues, love BB King, Muddy Waters, and Eric Clapton (though love his guitar more so I guess I would say rock where Clapton is concerned), but not much exposure to John Mayer and Ray Charles (except for the popular Hit The Road Jack).

Now coming to the final list, well have not heard any of them for any great length of time. Not much into opera, though have heard a bit of Luciano Pavarotti on occasion and not much exposure to Indian classical either.

Thanks for sharing so much. I will try my best to catch up on some of the music that I don't have much exposure to. I will probably start with fusion music before venturing into classical I guess.

My top albums/groups
Rock & Reggae
The Doors
AC/DC Back in black
Pink Floyd The Wall
Dire Straits Dire Straits
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses
Chris Daughtry
Bob Marley
UB40
Pop
ABBA