My Windows based NAS using Flexraid - haisaikat

Hi,
Went through your thread and I was planning to build my own nas. I want to purchase flexraid but there are 2 types - t-RAID and RAID-f .
Which one is suitable for the nas with backup and media streaming?

do read about UNRAID, OVM, FreeNAS, NAS4Free as well, before you make any final decission ...and oh yes AMAHI for a simple no complex storage solution

Time to try something new, I had been planning to get a new NAS solution on the same box. This is because with Windows 7 upgrades and also with Windows 10 suddenly the flexraid shares had been unaccessible over the network. My primary criteria had been that files will be accessible by default if I take out a drive and plug in to a Windows PC.

One popular solution I am evaluating is Stablebit Drive Pool combined with SnapRAID for parity. The last time I built the NAS was back in 2012, situation was different. Now we have tons of cloud storage accounts too and DrivePool can combine them along with my on-premise drive into a try hybrid storage pool.

Also Flexraid paid support is not scaling up to expectations.

Successfully using Stablebit Drivepool as a plug and play solution on top of Windows for almost last 3 years. Recently formatted the OS drive and upgraded to Windows 11. As soon as I installed Stablebit it automatically detected the previously created pool from the individual drives and automatically showed the Pool Drive. Best part of this setup is like Old days Flexraid, the drives keep NTFS file system and the files are readable outside the Pool too. Also entire drive need not be locked in pool like Flexraid and regular drives also remain visible and separate non pooled folders can also be created on them to the total storage limit of the drive. Yet to setup Snapraid for parity.

Dear All,
Need some advice, after 10+ years of successfully using this DIY NAS the motherboard seems to be malfunctioning, tried changing HDD, RAM, OS but the problem of system freezing after some time continues. So presently I am hunting for a new motherboard-processor combo and open to consider AMD or Intel. However I do not see 6 SATA port motherboards easily, almost all are coming with 4 and if there are M2 ports on board there are extension cards to expand that M2 into more SATA ports. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Saikat

Dear All,
Need some advice, after 10+ years of successfully using this DIY NAS the motherboard seems to be malfunctioning, tried changing HDD, RAM, OS but the problem of system freezing after some time continues. So presently I am hunting for a new motherboard-processor combo and open to consider AMD or Intel. However I do not see 6 SATA port motherboards easily, almost all are coming with 4 and if there are M2 ports on board there are extension cards to expand that M2 into more SATA ports. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Saikat
ASUS Prime B450M-A II has 5 usable SATA ports + 1 M.2 port. If you're not using the M.2 you can use all the 6 SATA ports. Not much expensive either, Rs. 6K~

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back