NAD 20 Series 3020 models

i have worked on and listened to a few 3020s over the years, all the models including silver, Champaign gold and so on. After looking inside and studying the circuitry (and even repaired some), I can confirm for sure that the difference between the silver/champaign gold versions and their grey coloured counterpart (of the same model/version) is purely the body paint. Yes, although audiophiles debate about this and collectors talk about that brilliant sound that these painted models supposedly produce. However if you want to know the secret behind which 3020 model to choose, here goes. The first edition of 3020 has a PSU board bolted to the back panel. This is the model of 3020 which apparently benefited from cross-talk which created an out of the world experience. However NAD made some layout and circuitry refinements and released the second edition of the 3020, also numbered as 3020 (not 3020A). The 3020s with serial number greater than A32005011 labelled 3020 are the best ones. The 3020A and 3020B are also good but not like the 2nd edition of pure 3020. Avoid the 3020e and i, they are good but not as good :). The new amp pictured above, is in this 'best ever 3020 category'

Last edited:
I’m a new member here and also a new owner of the 3020A and 4020A. Just waiting for the units to arrive. Great information in this thread. One thing that has struck me, and it’s not exclusive to the 3020, is how much prices have increased for vintage audio in the last 10 years. However, it’s for a good reason as people are rediscovering the rich sound of analog audio. Most telling is the interest that has developed from the younger generation. Hopefully, the future of quality audio has become brighter as a result.

I’m a new member here and also a new owner of the 3020A and 4020A. Just waiting for the units to arrive. Great information in this thread. One thing that has struck me, and it’s not exclusive to the 3020, is how much prices have increased for vintage audio in the last 10 years. However, it’s for a good reason as people are rediscovering the rich sound of analog audio. Most telling is the interest that has developed from the younger generation. Hopefully, the future of quality audio has become brighter as a result.
Welcome to the forum and yes the NAD 3020s are legendary. There is something about these vintage amps and their dynamics really. Collectors items these days !

Cheers !

Welcome and great choice, the 3020A and 4020A. Yes the prices have gone up. NAD also had a matching cassette deck, 6020 so if you find that sometime, you'll have all matching components. The great aspect about the 3020 amplifier is that it is not just a great sounding amp, it has a very simple circuit design and can be easily repaired or serviced (with all commonly available components).

i have worked on and listened to a few 3020s over the years, all the models including silver, Champaign gold and so on. After looking inside and studying the circuitry (and even repaired some), I can confirm for sure that the difference between the silver/champaign gold versions and their grey coloured counterpart (of the same model/version) is purely the body paint. Yes, although audiophiles debate about this and collectors talk about that brilliant sound that these painted models supposedly produce. However if you want to know the secret behind which 3020 model to choose, here goes. The first edition of 3020 has a PSU board bolted to the back panel. This is the model of 3020 which apparently benefited from cross-talk which created an out of the world experience. However NAD made some layout and circuitry refinements and released the second edition of the 3020, also numbered as 3020 (not 3020A). The 3020s with serial number greater than A32005011 labelled 3020 are the best ones. The 3020A and 3020B are also good but not like the 2nd edition of pure 3020. Avoid the 3020e and i, they are good but not as good :). The new amp pictured above, is in this 'best ever 3020 category'
Hi @reubensm

wanna know what is wrong or not so good about 3020e? compared to other models

The 3020e and i versions have some mods over the original design. These differences are essentially noticeable mostly when using a phono source. Otherwise they sound essentially the same to the normal ear. The phono stages of the 3020e and i are different from the older versions. By the time the e and i came out, cassette decks had started to dominate and CDs were slowly taking over while turntable use was on the way out. This can be noticed in the simplified phono stage design of the e and i versions. Also the myth of the 3020 sound is strongly attributed to the component layout on the PCB, of the original version. The 3020 series-1, series-2, A, and B maintained the basic layout except for some basic changes between series-1 and series-2, which were retained in the A and B versions. The e and i had a revamped layout (which purists believe, caused the e and i to loose the original 3020 charm). These are all myths and opinions. To me it sounded quite the same. There is another myth, the silver paneled 3020 sounded better than the grey panel one. Anyone who knows the inside will tell you that the silver 3020 was essentially the grey 3020 series-2 with a painted faceplate, knobs and buttons :)

Personally, I have owned or repaired all 3020s versions that have been made, and i found the original 3020 series-2 to be the best sounding of the lot. Again, this is a very subjective statement as all the amplifiers that i experienced were not in the same condition, some had been repaired, some had been recapped, etc and hence even my opinion is up for debate.

Just in case you were wondering what is this series-1 and series-2 and how different is this from the A, B, e and I - well the original 3020 (without any alphabet suffixes) debuted around 1977 and this is considered series-1. This version had an additional powersupply PCB (for the preamp and pre-driver stages of the poweramp) bolted to the back panel and the power transformer was bolted to the bottom frame of the amplifier chassis. Around 1980, NAD redesigned the 3020 and released series-2 which did away with the additional powersupply PCB and had the power transformer bolted to the back panel. This is the highly sort after version (and the same version which was released with a silver face plate). For those who are into the serial number classification stuff, the amplifiers that have serial numbers before A3205011 are considered to be series-1 and those with serial number A3205011 onwards, are series-2 models, running up to the next generation which was the 3020A. There were may iterations of the 3020s, especially the original series-2 and can be found in the form of American versions, European versions, Asian (far-east) versions, etc. All these are essentially the same with different power transformers, switched AC outlets, etc :)

Hope this helps.

The 3020e and i versions have some mods over the original design. These differences are essentially noticeable mostly when using a phono source. Otherwise they sound essentially the same to the normal ear. The phono stages of the 3020e and i are different from the older versions. By the time the e and i came out, cassette decks had started to dominate and CDs were slowly taking over while turntable use was on the way out. This can be noticed in the simplified phono stage design of the e and i versions. Also the myth of the 3020 sound is strongly attributed to the component layout on the PCB, of the original version. The 3020 series-1, series-2, A, and B maintained the basic layout except for some basic changes between series-1 and series-2, which were retained in the A and B versions. The e and i had a revamped layout (which purists believe, caused the e and i to loose the original 3020 charm). These are all myths and opinions. To me it sounded quite the same. There is another myth, the silver paneled 3020 sounded better than the grey panel one. Anyone who knows the inside will tell you that the silver 3020 was essentially the grey 3020 series-2 with a painted faceplate, knobs and buttons :)

Personally, I have owned or repaired all 3020s versions that have been made, and i found the original 3020 series-2 to be the best sounding of the lot. Again, this is a very subjective statement as all the amplifiers that i experienced were not in the same condition, some had been repaired, some had been recapped, etc and hence even my opinion is up for debate.

Just in case you were wondering what is this series-1 and series-2 and how different is this from the A, B, e and I - well the original 3020 (without any alphabet suffixes) debuted around 1977 and this is considered series-1. This version had an additional powersupply PCB (for the preamp and pre-driver stages of the poweramp) bolted to the back panel and the power transformer was bolted to the bottom frame of the amplifier chassis. Around 1980, NAD redesigned the 3020 and released series-2 which did away with the additional powersupply PCB and had the power transformer bolted to the back panel. This is the highly sort after version (and the same version which was released with a silver face plate). For those who are into the serial number classification stuff, the amplifiers that have serial numbers before A3205011 are considered to be series-1 and those with serial number A3205011 onwards, are series-2 models, running up to the next generation which was the 3020A. There were may iterations of the 3020s, especially the original series-2 and can be found in the form of American versions, European versions, Asian (far-east) versions, etc. All these are essentially the same with different power transformers, switched AC outlets, etc :)

Hope this helps.

Hi Reuben, thanks for the great info.

My 3020 Series 20 has Serial Number: 3227655. No "A" before it (and I don't see any photos of unit having an "A" before their SN).

Also, my NAD has its power transformer bolted to the bottom plate, not the back plate (not sure about the additional powersupply PCB, will have to open her up again!).

Could you clarify if you think mine is the "sought after" later model, or the series-1? It sure sounds fanastic, even though it is only my bedroom amp.

The more desirable 3020s, that are usually called out by most 3020 users, are the grey or silver ones with serial number A3205011 onwards. These are essentially the updated version of the first series of 3020 released in 1977. While the design philosophy used, was essentially the same as the first version, it featured a more efficient layout thus eliminating the preamp and pre-driver PSU board. It also eliminated some of the reliability issues of the first version by the use of better wiring and quality components. The improved version was later improved further with the release of the 3020A and 3020B.

Stock Pics - 3020 initial version (left) and the improved version (right)
3020-1.jpg3020-2.jpg

After years of wondering how it actually is, and worrying about rolled off highs (Google Google) I gifted myself a NAD 3020 (an audiophile is a pest for friends overseas).

What strikes me most is the immediacy. Amazing with voices. Jazz sounds great. Perhaps it’s a bit dark sounding but it does not seem to matter one bit!!!

1709312705190.png

After years of wondering how it actually is, and worrying about rolled off highs (Google Google) I gifted myself a NAD 3020 (an audiophile is a pest for friends overseas).

What strikes me most is the immediacy. Amazing with voices. Jazz sounds great. Perhaps it’s a bit dark sounding but it does not seem to matter one bit!!!

View attachment 83153
Congratulations @vivek_r you have a beauty and it looks to be in beautiful pristine condition. You paring it with your spendors? The audiophile being pest bit hahahah..:)

The Grahams Sushant. Thank you. I have been such a good boy I needed this indulgence.

I would say further that the sound is probably not as refined as my Norma, but it is so fun!

welcome to the family - the highs rolled off situation usually happens when running on old caps or just after recapping. If a 3020 is properly recapped with good quality electrolytic capacitors, it will initially sound slightly bassy, but if allowed to burn in properly, with about a year's usage, the magic returns.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back