NAD PP2 or Azur 640P

arindamcc

I am planing to buy a phono preamp please suggest me which are better NAD PP2 or Azur 640P

i'd second that recommendation. have the lyrita solid state phonostage and its good! if you have the money try the tube phono though.

A few months back I was also trying to decide between NAD PP2 and Azur 640P. I could not get an audition. I had heard the NAD phono-TT at ARN, so that gave me an idea on how it would sound. I also have a CA 640A amp, so I can compare that too. I read up a lot of user reviews and bought NAD PP2.
It did not disappoint me at all. I love the sound.

Thanks,
Sharad Medhavi
My Setup:
- Sources: Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray, NAD C542, C521 CD players, Project Debut III TT+NAD PP2, Denon DRW-585 Cassette Deck
- Amps: Denon AVR 2809, NAD C372, Cambridge Audio 640
- Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6, Definitive Technology Supercube II subwoofer, Acoustic Energy Aesprit 309
- Projector: Plus U5-111 (Next on the line for upgrade), Samsung LCD LA46A550P1

Honestly, I did look at the Lyrita website myself (for a valve preamp), and even exchanged a few emails with Mr. Viren Bakshi. He said that he could ship it to Bangalore in four weeks time, but there was no way for me to check it out.

I eventually chickened out as I was not sure of the quality. I had recently tried out a Norge tuner based on recommendations on this forum, and it is resting somewhere in the store room. If I knew that others in Bangalore are already using Lyrita products I could have requested for an audition :)

Thanks,
Sharad

Honestly, I did look at the Lyrita website myself (for a valve preamp), and even exchanged a few emails with Mr. Viren Bakshi. He said that he could ship it to Bangalore in four weeks time, but there was no way for me to check it out.

I eventually chickened out as I was not sure of the quality. I had recently tried out a Norge tuner based on recommendations on this forum, and it is resting somewhere in the store room. If I knew that others in Bangalore are already using Lyrita products I could have requested for an audition :)

Thanks,
Sharad

Mr Bakshi shipped it to me without any payment and gave me the option of returning the equipment if I didn't like it. I'm glad to say it has stayed with me since then. He's a gem of a gentleman and his products are superb value for money.

Get the Lyrita. Its significantly superior to the mass market stuff.

Hi,

The Lyrita Phono is better than some highend stuff too.

The Lyrita replaced the Naim phono stage(Stageline) in my system.
I have listened to and compared it(stock) with the EAR834P and a Dynavector P75 phonostages .

The Lyrita(stock) in my opinion is better than all the above mentioned phono stages.

I replaced the Brimar 5Z4G rectifier with a Phillips GZ32 and the 5751 tubes with Telefunken smooth plate ECC83's.
These changes take the Lyrita phonostage to a an even higher level of performance.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I have listened to and compared it(stock) with the EAR834P and a Dynavector P75 phonostages .

The Lyrita(stock) in my opinion is better than all the above mentioned phono stages.

I replaced the Brimar 5Z4G rectifier with a Phillips GZ32 and the 5751 tubes with Telefunken smooth plate ECC83's.
These changes take the Lyrita phonostage to a an even higher level of performance.

Regards
Rajiv

Wow I did not know I was sitting on such a gem of a phono stage :clapping:. Thank you for the update.

Hi,

I am also sailing in the same boat as that of 'arindamcc' and was considering NAD PP2. But now as I am seeing here , Lyrita being higly recommended on this forum (in this thread and elsewhere also) I am getting interestsed.

Can 'Rajiv' and/or 'reignofchaos' update me regarding budgetary pricing of Lyrita Valve based Phono stage?

Last edited:
Hi,

I am also sailing in the same boat as that of 'arindamcc' and was considering NAD PP2. But now as I am seeing here , Lyrita being higly recommended on this forum (in this thread and elsewhere also) I am getting interestsed.

Can 'Rajiv' and/or 'reignofchaos' update me regarding budgetary pricing of Lyrita Valve based Phono stage?

I'm not sure what the current pricing is as I purchased two years ago. Why don't you shoot a mail to Viren? His address is [email protected]. For details about his product, visit lyrita-audio.in.

hi buba,

bout 20 for the tube and under 5 or so for the solid state. if you have the money would recommend the tube. am basing this recommendation based on the tube SET amp i have. will post a review of the tube phonostage once i get it. if someone wants to listen to the tube phono i'm getting it next weekend welcome to drop in after that.

smedhavi, i think you really lost out on a good product by chickening out :sad: if you're in bangalore you can bring your nad over and compare if you want to upgrade though :)

regards

Hi,

Regards
Rajiv

hi rajiv,

on his site and when i talked to him he mentioned two tubes only the 5687 and the 5751. is yours a different version with the brimar 5Z4G?

regards

stevieboy,

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately I am already booked for the weekend. The HiFiVision-Bangalore get together is surely long over due.

I have no plans to upgrade the phono-stage. For now, I am satisfied with what I have. The NAD is working well with the C372 amp and MA RS6 speakers. There are other things in my setup which are demanding more for an upgrade.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi ,

Steven, the 5Z4G is the rectifier.

I think the price Steven mentioned is for the MC/MM version .In the MC version I understand that Viren uses the Cinemag SUT's.

I have the MM version slightly less expensive,and use a Fidelity Research FRT4 step up transformer.

Viren,uses top quality parts,Black Gate capacitors,Kiwame/Allen Bradley resistors and PIO caps. Parts you will find only in products costing thousands of $.

Regards
Rajiv

hi rajiv,

so basically you dont have the 5687 tubes am i right? instead you have the 5Z4G?

the one in which he uses the cinemag is a higher price point than the standard mm and mc. but still extremely competitive compared to the foreign options available online. the ballpark cost i've mentioned is for mm and mc. only mm would be cheaper i guess like the one you have.

Hi Steven,

The phono stage is the same as yours.

It uses two 5751/ECC83 valves and one 5687 valve.

The 5Z4G is the valve rectifier in the HT power supply.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Regards
Rajiv

hi rajiv,

i checked online and a substitute for the 5Z4G is the GZ30. you've used the philips GZ32. can you elaborate on the plate voltages or whatever it is that makes the 32 a fit? i've ordered a philips gz32 myself so want to know more.

incidentally i love the mullard ecc803s. absolutely seductive sound. i never did understand what 'liquid' meant till i heard this. the sound literally pours like smooth silk and caresses your ears gently. the valvo is more clean, not as much magic, does bass better though.

on average i'm running the amp at around 9 o'clock level compared to 11 or so earlier. noise issue sorted for good :licklips:

regards

Hi Steven,

Glad the noise problem is sorted out.

The ECC83 has a higher gain than the 5751 that is why you are running the amp at the lower volume setting.

The GZ32 is the European version of the 5V4g .The GZ32 is rated for higher voltages.In Virens phono stage even the 5Z4G is not stressed at all,the current draw is very low the rectifiers are just coasting along.Both types will last a lifetime.

I like the tonality of the phono stage with the GZ32 and Telefunken ECC83's. I would like to hear your impressions of the GZ32 in the phono stage.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back