NAD pre-out + Adcom power amp

Hi Sono and others, how much diff in SQ (%)will a pre power combo bring out when replacing an integrated amp and will a budget speaker like wharf 9.2 really benefit from the upgrade? and which sound characteristic will see a dramatic improvement? Sorry for the noob question.

Regards.

Hi Squarewave,
I had the integ in mind earlier, but i doubt if I can get a "High-current" type within 40k even in used market. The thing is I want to avoid another upgrade cycle from a non-high current amp to high-current amp in future. I would rather drive the considered Adcom 545 type Power-amp with a variable volume DVDP or HTPC connected directly, till the time I have money for a decent pre.

BTW is there no hope for a good used pre within 15k?

Regds,

At these price points, try and look for a 40k used integrated amp. A 320 bee preamp section with an adcom will work technically but it will not make much music !

Hi Gobble, sorry for late response...
Thanks for the frank comment reg NAD pre-out. I am not inclined to use NAD as power amp, since it wont't be a dramatic change from my present setup (see my signature). As things stand now, I need a good used pre within (a ridiculous) price of 10-15k. See below for why?

I have my 45k budget for this yr upgrade-plan as follows: high-currrent power amp(25k) + best pre for 15k + best IC's for 5k (tentative breakup). So 15k approx is all I have left for a pre. (Yes my remaining items in chain will be woefully under-matched... but those upgrades will have to wait for 2 yrs)

So pls suggest me a pre within 10-15k

(BTW DIY is not for me unless there is a audio guru in Pune, who is willing to do the assembly work... on professional terms of course)

Thx & Regds,

Find the ONE gear you can live with for life is difficult in the first two years of audiophilia. :p Maybe you should 24K for preamp and 15K for power section.

The Pass labs F5 group buy will start on diyaudio late this month (the person was moving so it got postponed). I would put my hopes there for a high current audiophile amp.

Cheers

Hi Cooltoad,
Some speakers can translate results coming from better amp and source that cost even 3-4 times the spkr's cost. I believe WD 9.2 is one of such speaker. I have seen it delivering gentle details and strong dynamics, simultaneously, in some good Jazz recordings even with a Norge-1000. I have a strong "feeling" that a more dynamic and detailed amp can make them deliver upto 50% more overall. Hence within my limited budget for this yr I have prioritised the amp as first upgrade item.

Regds,

Hi Sono and others, how much diff in SQ (%)will a pre power combo bring out when replacing an integrated amp and will a budget speaker like wharf 9.2 really benefit from the upgrade? and which sound characteristic will see a dramatic improvement? Sorry for the noob question.

Regards.

The word high current does not mean anything by itself. Just because an amp is high current (muscle amp) does not mean it can create music well.
15k is very less for a good used pre.
Pick up a passive pre from here if you can.
Transformer Volume Control
Or get a grounded grid preamp like gobble did.
Then pick up a Nad power amp from the used market for some 25k. This will keep you off the merry go round for a while.
Else pick up a used arcam or MF integrated around 40k.

As you go up the ladder, you will need to upgrade from the wharfedales too ;)

Correct about the high current! I suppose sonosphere expects to be "electrified" on listening to a high current amp. :lol:

I intend to build the GC and F5 rather than do any shopping for gear. The only way experimentation can be affordable. So you have patience, you can listen to both by the year end hopefully then decide.

Cheers

gobble,

Can you elaborate on DIY Pass labs F5 Group. I know Pass Labs some of the best amps in the world.

Thanks
pandu

gobble,

Can you elaborate on DIY Pass labs F5 Group. I know Pass Labs some of the best amps in the world.

Thanks
pandu

I dunno much - I only know how to hold a solder gun without burning my palms.

Google is your friend if you want reviews. Honestly better than me trying to describe it. :)

Cheers

Hi Gobble,
Yes, I do expect to get "electrified":). I am not among the group that digs one note bass thumps, however a tight kickdrum sound coupled with tight bass notes is all I need to feel electrified. Unfortunately getting life-like sound in such case often involves a difficult to drive speaker that needs a high-current amp... or so I have read in many posts.

Hi Squarewave,
I agree just High-current is not the end itself. A lot has to go with it. From replies that I am getting from everyone I understand that 15k is not going to get me a good used pre. So I guess I'll have to search the forum dig out VFM pre-amps and start saving...

Thanks to all for your responses...
Regds

Correct about the high current! I suppose sonosphere expects to be "electrified" on listening to a high current amp. :lol:

I intend to build the GC and F5 rather than do any shopping for gear. The only way experimentation can be affordable. So you have patience, you can listen to both by the year end hopefully then decide.

Cheers

Hi Gobble,
Yes, I do expect to get "electrified":). I am not among the group that digs one note bass thumps, however a tight kickdrum sound coupled with tight bass notes is all I need to feel electrified. Unfortunately getting life-like sound in such case often involves a difficult to drive speaker that needs a high-current amp... or so I have read in many posts.

Hi Squarewave,
I agree just High-current is not the end itself. A lot has to go with it. From replies that I am getting from everyone I understand that 15k is not going to get me a good used pre. So I guess I'll have to search the forum dig out VFM pre-amps and start saving...

Thanks to all for your responses...
Regds

@sonosphere,

Good decision. Save up some and go for a good preamp. I have gone through this path a few years back. I used to have a NAD C350. Then moved out to seperate preamp using the power section of the NAD. The move kept me entertained me for some time till I picked up the odyssey amp ! The preamp can make or break your system.

One advice. Stay with no-nonsense niche and small brands. Avoid mass market/popular brands.

Brand value is something you could look for when you can afford the big ticket items like Audio research, Modwright etc... They will give you quality along with the brand value.

Hi friends,
Since I will be having only one Stereo source in future, i.e HTPC, will feeding soundcard output (say output from Xonar essence XT) directly to power amp give good enough SQ?
- The volume will be controlled thru software in HTPC itelf.
- I would like to believe that since there is one less equipment in chain, there is no question of signal degradation /colouration due to preamp.

Request your comments to above

TIA & regds,

@sonosphere,

Good decision. Save up some and go for a good preamp. I have gone through this path a few years back. I used to have a NAD C350. Then moved out to seperate preamp using the power section of the NAD. The move kept me entertained me for some time till I picked up the odyssey amp ! The preamp can make or break your system.

One advice. Stay with no-nonsense niche and small brands. Avoid mass market/popular brands.

Brand value is something you could look for when you can afford the big ticket items like Audio research, Modwright etc... They will give you quality along with the brand value.

Hi friends,
Since I will be having only one Stereo source in future, i.e HTPC, will feeding soundcard output (say output from Xonar essence XT) directly to power amp give good enough SQ?
- The volume will be controlled thru software in HTPC itelf.
- I would like to believe that since there is one less equipment in chain, there is no question of signal degradation /colouration due to preamp.

Request your comments to above

TIA & regds,

The Xonar will allow you to control volume and also vary the gain thru software so a pre will not be necessary. There are many fans of the Xonar on this forum. On the Coimbatore thread, you will find Santosh and iAudio were not impressed with the SC even with using a good quality PSU like CorsairVX with Japanese caps.

Personally I am a skeptic, but in a weak moment I might buy a Xonar ST just to audition it!! Hoping a local Hifivisioner can bring it over one day for a checkout.

Regards

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back