NAD pre-out + Adcom power amp

sonosphere

Hi Audio gurus out there,
Request you to confirm if NAD 320BEE pre-out will match the requirement of Adcom 545 MarkII power amp, at least on paper. Please see the specs of both amps attached below. Your comments regarding SQ of this combination are welcome, if you have heard this combo earlier.

Thanks in advance,
Regds,

Attachments

• NAD 320BEE specs.jpg
    NAD 320BEE specs.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Adcom 545 Mk II specs.jpg
    Adcom 545 Mk II specs.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 162
Hi Mars,
Thanks for response.
My plan >> get good used pre-power combo below 50k
A used NAD 320BEE for 10k can be used as a pre-amp also. Some old reviews say that its preamp alone is worth the 10k compared to other pre-amps of similar quality. Its warm sound signature can be used to tame bright sounding power amps (like Adcom 545).

Considering above I wanted to know if it would match well on technical level with an Adcom 545 (this series is a good bargain in used power-amps considering their high-current specs)

Regds,

no worries they will. what are you planning to do with such a setup?

Hi Audio Gurus,
I read this link for some guidance >> DECWARE - Audio Paper - How to choose the right preamp
It says "A good example of a happy situation is a preamp with an output impedance below 1000 ohms driving an amplifier with an input impedance of 100,000 ohms"

While the Adcom power-amp matches the above example having an input impedance of 100,000 ohms, however the NAD 320 has output impedance of only 80 ohms (refer the specs in my original post)... whereas in happy situation the NAD should be around 1000 ohms.

Does this above mean there will be a case of mismatch /bad SQ?. Or have I misread the specs or the guidance?

Regds,

Hi Audio gurus out there,
Request you to confirm if NAD 320BEE pre-out will match the requirement of Adcom 545 MarkII power amp, at least on paper. Please see the specs of both amps attached below. Your comments regarding SQ of this combination are welcome, if you have heard this combo earlier.

Thanks in advance,
Regds,

Hi Mars,
Thanks for response.
My plan >> get good used pre-power combo below 50k
A used NAD 320BEE for 10k can be used as a pre-amp also. Some old reviews say that its preamp alone is worth the 10k compared to other pre-amps of similar quality. Its warm sound signature can be used to tame bright sounding power amps (like Adcom 545).

Considering above I wanted to know if it would match well on technical level with an Adcom 545 (this series is a good bargain in used power-amps considering their high-current specs)

Regds,

The NAD preamp is crappy!! Do NOT try it. spend all your money on a preamp now and use the power section of the NAD until you can afford a new power amp.

Regards

Hi Gobble,
This may sound unrealistic, but are there any good "used" pre-amps around 10-15k budget?

I prefer the smooth sound of tubes at the same time want slam in the bass drum /bass guitar while listening to rock.

Regds,

The NAD preamp is crappy!! Do NOT try it. spend all your money on a preamp now and use the power section of the NAD until you can afford a new power amp.

Regards

I think a used pre amp in that budget is possible. Sometime back couple of our members had listed for even less.

OTOH, if you like the sound of tubes, why dont you try the Lyrita route?

Hi Gobble,
This may sound unrealistic, but are there any good "used" pre-amps around 10-15k budget?

I prefer the smooth sound of tubes at the same time want slam in the bass drum /bass guitar while listening to rock.

Regds,

Are you up to DIY ? A good tube pre is possible less than 18K. and it will really help you postpone the power section purchase without agonizing - as you realize the benefits of the preamp.

Regards

Hi Iaudio,
I understand that only first hand experience with Lyrita-pre is the best option, however can you tell from your experience if lyrita-pre can deliver punch /slam in bass dept? (Considering reviews the Adcom 545 power amp can certainly deliver the slam if the pre provides the juice)

Also, is the Lyrita-pre suitable match for the Adcom specs mentioned in my original post? If yes what is the model no? how much would it cost new?
Regds,

I think a used pre amp in that budget is possible. Sometime back couple of our members had listed for even less.

OTOH, if you like the sound of tubes, why dont you try the Lyrita route?

Sonosphere, I have listened to only int solutions, the Lyrita SET int amps. I think you could discuss it with Viren and he will surely guide you in the right direction reg specs.
As for Lyrita pre, why dont you Pm our members who use it to get a users perspective.
But, I do have the feeling that Lyrita may not be about slam.

Hi Sono,
Gobble's suggestion of the pre is bang on. Using a NAD i can confirm that crappiness of the PRE section. Gobble's pre is a gem AFAIK.. :D

Yes, it is possible to find good,used SS pre-amps at that price. You can get in touch with Ramesh (hifipal4all) for some options or look at the sale section.

-Saikat.

Hi Sono,
Gobble's suggestion of the pre is bang on. Using a NAD i can confirm that crappiness of the PRE section. Gobble's pre is a gem AFAIK.. :D

Yes, it is possible to find good,used SS pre-amps at that price. You can get in touch with Ramesh (hifipal4all) for some options or look at the sale section.

-Saikat.

Maskaa mat maaaro .... ! :eek:hyeah: You haven't heard it. Looking to extract something from me? ... ;)

Maskaa mat maaaro .... ! :eek:hyeah: You haven't heard it. Looking to extract something from me? ... ;)

gobble ,

you have lot of unheard fans :lol:

will soon PM you for seeking advise on my new stereo setup

headsup :cool:

Kittu

In paper the above combinations of the amps are fine, but then you could do much better by buying a better/dedicated pre. What speakers are you planning to use with this combo? As i see in your signatures that you have a Wharfedale 9.2 so I assume that you are going to use it with the above mentioned pair, so here I would like to point out that Wharfedales itself have a little laid back sound signature and they tend to tame bright sounding systems, so you need to keep that in mind.
Also as some have suggested you a tube pre but here after reading your thread that your have interest in rock and roll as well as you want slam and attack, so here you might find tube lacking. Its better that you take a demo of a tube pre to understand its sound signature before deciding onto anything.

gobble ,

you have lot of unheard fans :lol:

will soon PM you for seeking advise on my new stereo setup

headsup :cool:

Kittu

I need the breeze .. thank you. Will I have to pay extra for electricity?

One's ball bearing(s) have to be well oiled to be silent :D ;)

:) :) :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Gobble, am not a fan of straight wire! :lol:

Read up about the pre though, and the reviews are excellent. But planning on some cable upgrades at the moment, after I got the MF A1.:yahoo:

Gobble, am not a fan of straight wire! :lol:

Read up about the pre though, and the reviews are excellent. But planning on some cable upgrades at the moment, after I got the MF A1.:yahoo:

Congrats on the MF A1. :clapping:

I see your mind is trapped in cable hell right now. Slow down and let sense prevail. Don't buy anything just yet. As discussed, try my Belden for a few weeks when you come over.

Cheers

Hi Gobble, sorry for late response...
Thanks for the frank comment reg NAD pre-out. I am not inclined to use NAD as power amp, since it wont't be a dramatic change from my present setup (see my signature). As things stand now, I need a good used pre within (a ridiculous) price of 10-15k. See below for why?

I have my 45k budget for this yr upgrade-plan as follows: high-currrent power amp(25k) + best pre for 15k + best IC's for 5k (tentative breakup). So 15k approx is all I have left for a pre. (Yes my remaining items in chain will be woefully under-matched... but those upgrades will have to wait for 2 yrs)

So pls suggest me a pre within 10-15k

(BTW DIY is not for me unless there is a audio guru in Pune, who is willing to do the assembly work... on professional terms of course)

Thx & Regds,

The NAD preamp is crappy!! Do NOT try it. spend all
your money on a preamp now and use the power section of the NAD until you can afford a new power amp.

Regards

At these price points, try and look for a 40k used integrated amp. A 320 bee preamp section with an adcom will work technically but it will not make much music !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back