Pre Out into 35watt marantz Integrated amp vs AVR lineout of 75watt

Manish Sharma

Hi Folks
This question is for my setup in bedroom. I am using a Harman Kardon AVR which has 7.1 channel pre out…I am driving the front LR channels through AVR preout with integrated Amp of Marantz PM6007 rated at 45watt@8ohms…Could feel the difference in sound quality …Now I am getting a Marantz PM5004 old amp but in a very good condition at the price of 17000/- The amp is rated 35watt output/8ohms…My question is should I buy another amp to power my ceiling surrounds through PM5004 @35watt vs lineout of AVR which is rated at 75watt…Will a 35watt amp bring a difference to the sound as compared to the already running 75watt through AVR??
Ceiling speakers Specs - klipsch CS16II (40watt 91db sensitivity, 8Ohm)

There is a six channel NAD poweramp available in the classified section, you can easily use it for your LCR duty in bridged mode @90watts per channel. Instead of buying two channel integrated amplifiers, a multi channel power amp will be apt for your setup imho.

I am already having the pm6007…just checked the recommended NAD…I have few questions …Isnt it quite old?…I mean the components inside must have gone old..its from the year 1995…accordin to age the price kept is quite high..what is your advice?

I am already having the pm6007…just checked the recommended NAD…I have few questions …Isnt it quite old?…I mean the components inside must have gone old..its from the year 1995…accordin to age the price kept is quite high..what is your advice?
You may check with the person directly about the price and condition, don't have any idea on those things. Btw it's a six channel power amplifier, so it reflects on its price as well . You may DM the FM who put it for sale and ask about the details, you never know you may end up with a nice deal? ;)

Purchased PM5004 for now…Will lateron upgrade to pre power separates … By assigning ceiling speakers to a separate amp I cud notice the difference but its not much of a difference…May be power amp will deliver that power of sound I want…In near future will see to that only

Great Experiment. However, in my opinion you should continue to use the AVR power to drive the ceiling and surround speakers. You fronts and Center would benefit the maximum as these are the most used speakers. The rest get 10-15% of proper SPL to show any effect.

MaSh

Purchased PM5004 for now…Will lateron upgrade to pre power separates … By assigning ceiling speakers to a separate amp I cud notice the difference but its not much of a difference…May be power amp will deliver that power of sound I want…In near future will see to that only
Having a good spare amp is always a good thing….play around, have fun. Maybe a small bedroom system is in order ?

Having a good spare amp is always a good thing….play around, have fun. Maybe a small bedroom system is in order ?
I have returned the amp … there wasnt any difference between the sound quality through AVR vs Spare amp…I figured out that I need to upgrade my AVR … Thinking of Onkyo Rz50

I have returned the amp … there wasnt any difference between the sound quality through AVR vs Spare amp…I figured out that I need to upgrade my AVR … Thinking of Onkyo Rz50
Before putting down money on a new avr do check if the speakers will scale with a new amp or just sound a bit different.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Folks
This question is for my setup in bedroom. I am using a Harman Kardon AVR which has 7.1 channel pre out…I am driving the front LR channels through AVR preout with integrated Amp of Marantz PM6007 rated at 45watt@8ohms…Could feel the difference in sound quality …Now I am getting a Marantz PM5004 old amp but in a very good condition at the price of 17000/- The amp is rated 35watt output/8ohms…My question is should I buy another amp to power my ceiling surrounds through PM5004 @35watt vs lineout of AVR which is rated at 75watt…Will a 35watt amp bring a difference to the sound as compared to the already running 75watt through AVR??
would it not be easier to get a different AVR rather than adding so many boxes ? even if not, not sure if upgrading amplification for rear channles are worth it.
Harman sound quality is usually better than onkyo...
I would not generalize..and in case of doubt would prefer a Onkyo/denon/yamaha over a harman if generalizing.

Hi Folks
That's an extremely high asking price for the 5004. Unless it's brand new and unopened for 17K, give it a skip.

would it not be easier to get a different AVR rather than adding so many boxes ? even if not, not sure if upgrading amplification for rear channles are worth it.

I would not generalize..and in case of doubt would prefer a Onkyo/denon/yamaha over a harman if generalizing.

Harman sound quality is usually better than onkyo...
Even I used to think the same…But Harman Kardon lacks in serious midrange frequencies…Its more on punchy bass and sharp high frequencies…Due to lack of mid tone the sound is muddy and you can easily feel the lack of detail…I have pioneer AVR which is high end and as compared to the pionner harman kardon is nothing…I have heard that Onkyo RZ50 is their flagship model…My dealer is highly recommending me that AVR..also it is getting better reviews as compared to denon and marantz on net…So jus planned to upgrade

That's an extremely high asking price for the 5004. Unless it's brand new and unopened for 17K, give it a skip.
Yes I have returned the amp

Yes thats why I have planned for ONKYO RZ50…which is their high end model

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back