PowerAmp vs Stereo Integrated amp

Going through this thread, can an Integrated Amplifier be used as a Power Amp , though it doesn't have a HT Bypass Option ?

[ as mentioned by DB1989, in post #10 ]

For instance, can the Pre Out from an Marantz AV receiver to the CD in of the Marantz PM7000N, work out without any issue though it doesn't have HT Bypass / Power Amp Direct IN Option ?

What could be the advantages and disadvantages of this setup ?

Last edited:
Going through this thread, can an Integrated Amplifier be used as a Power Amp , though it doesn't have a HT Bypass Option ?

For instance, can the Pre Out from an Marantz AV receiver to the CD in of the Marantz PM7000N, work out without any issue though it doesn't have HT Bypass / Power Amp Direct IN Option ?

if you're using an IA without HTBypass option, then you need to use the tone defeat/source direct option and also keep the appropriate volume for your input from AVR...whereas in IA's with HTbypass option you don't need to worry about these steps -- bass, treble, volume controls in the IA will be automatically disabled.

if you're using an IA without HTBypass option, then you need to use the tone defeat/source direct option and also keep the appropriate volume for your input from AVR...whereas in IA's with HTbypass option you don't need to worry about these steps -- bass, treble, volume controls in the IA will be automatically disabled.
Thanks for the clarification

Are you using this kind of setup, where IA without HTBypass running the front channels in a home theatre ?

If this works fine, hope to go for PM7000N

1. Should I get power amp like emotiva a5 for my extra 5 channels of centre, surround and rear surrounds?
2. To buy Marantz PM8006 for fronts, PM6007 for ceiling , PM5004(second hand) for rear surrounds?
Yes, After i connected Emotiva power AMP , its like dead speakers came alive and the sound stage was improved vastly.
Instead of Emotiva A5 , Better Look at Emotiva Gen3 or Gen5 series which delvers more power and u don't need to upgrade other PA in the future.
Surrounds u can still power up with AVR. If you can spend money , yes it's good to have power amp for all surround and height speakers.

That works. Only thing is to set volume level of IA correctly to match rest of channels.
One thing you remember, since both are Marantz(avar& IA) , when you use avr remote to increase or decrease volume, IA also will respond. You may need to use app to control it.
One more thing is that there will be 2 preamps involved.

That works. Only thing is to set volume level of IA correctly to match rest of channels.
One thing you remember, since both are Marantz(avar& IA) , when you use avr remote to increase or decrease volume, IA also will respond. You may need to use app to control it.
One more thing is that there will be 2 preamps involved.
Thanks for the response

What App that could control the volume in this setting ?

Do you mean to say both AVR and IA act as a preamp and is there any issue in having 2 preamps ?

Thanks for the response

What App that could control the volume in this setting ?

Do you mean to say both AVR and IA act as a preamp and is there any issue in having 2 preamps ?
Marantz app can be used. Two preamp can change signature. Here both are Marantz, so may not be an issue. Some IA amps may have impudence issue.

Technically you could but I dont suppose you should be doing that unless one of them is a passive one. the issue could be higher gain in the system and hence some sort of compression/saturation or even clipping.

Thats why it is better to have IAs with HT bypass or ones which solely can be used as power amps with flick of a button.

I was using my IA for both HT and 2 ch listening,
Marantz 8006 and Audiolab 6000a were in my hitlist for above and went with Audiolab.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back