Nagaoka MP 110 Cartridge

Stupid question, but is your anti skate working properly?
Also, this sounds like a job for a balance knob
Also, are you sure it's not the record? Most mono to stereo conversions are like that only.

On my current arm, I've never used antiskate. The antiskate mechanism I made is a bit flawed. Besides, it's a 12" arm, of very high mass.

I played many records, including a proper test record with tracks to check left and right channel loudness, so I'm certain it's not due to the records played.

In such situations it would be really nice to have separate left and right volume knobs or a balance control knob.

Joshua try swapping the connection of left & right channels from the cartridge connection end. This will diagnose whether the cartridge channel is defective or not.

In such situations it would be really nice to have separate left and right volume knobs or a balance control knob.

I actually went and did the deed:)

Installed a second volume pot and split left and right channels across two similar pots so that each channel can be controlled independent of the other. It's like an infinite balance control knob.

With the independent pots in place, it turns out that the loudness difference is very minor - a difference of just one step on the stepped attenuator/pot that I'm using. But that difference was enough to throw off the channel balance, rendering it impossible to listen.

I've racked up about 32 LP sides. Will report on the sonics after I get more play time.

The Nagaoka MP 110 now has about 30 hours under its belt. I had documented in an earlier post on this thread how I had to go through quite a bit of contortion to get the left and right channels to sing in unison. It was a good investment in time and money to separate the left and right volume controls. I thought I'll pen down my impressions of the cartridge.

Tonal/harmonic balance is spot on. There is no part of the spectrum that stands out at the cost of other parts. The lows, mids and highs are well balanced. It's not mid-range spot lighted like some cartridges. The bass and the treble are equally represented.

Imaging is a wee bit forward than other cartridges I've heard, but not by much. It's certainly not shouty or tries to grab your attention in a bad way. It's just that it feels like you're seated some rows ahead of your customary favourite seat in a concert hall. The solution is easy - simply move back your listening chair by a foot or so (where the room allows) and you're back to hearing the music the way you're accustomed to.

For a cartridge of its cost, it is quite resolving of details in the music, though it can do better in resolving micro dynamic nuances in music. But then much pricier cartridges too have this shortcoming.

It is very good at placing the various instruments and voices in their specific places in the musical scape, especially in the lateral left-right dimension. Ability to delineate depth is, I feel, directly related to ability to resolve micro dynamic nuances, so a shortcoming in the later shows up as a shortcoming of the former character. This is not say that the cartridge presents everything as though painted on a flat wall. In fact it does a good job. I'm being demanding here because of the cartridges other sterling qualities. A corollary of this capability is its ability to identify and follow the different strands of loud and complex music as identifiable strands.

It reacts to dynamic changes in the music with an ever-present sense of drive. However, don't expect it to do wild and startling dynamic swings like some better cartridges.

During quiet, late night listening sessions it is a pleasure to listen to classical piano recitals and hear the decay of notes that one hears in a live performance at a quiet venue. Pleasurable too is hearing the myriad tonal variations of a virtuoso soloist in your favourite violin concerto.

There are three standout features worth mentioning, namely, its fantastic low noise, a very sweet treble and a drive that propels the music forward.

It has an uncanny ability to suppress surface noise, ticks and pops in poor records, much better than any cartridge I've heard. It does this without rolling off the highs. In many cartridges these are mutually exclusive properties but not so on the MP 110. This feature alone elevates it very high up in my esteem. After all, who doesn't own records with irritating pops and ticks?

The second standout feature is its sweet highs. Cymbals, hi hats, triangles, and other instruments that play above 5 kHz sound resolved and smooth. My personal reference for treble reach and extension and general treble sweetness and smoothness is the Decca London Super Gold cartridge. I was taken aback to hear such fluid treble from the MP 110. No, it's not the equal of the London Decca but who knows what more hours could bring forth? The MP 110 treble is certainly the equal, or better than, the venerable Denon DL 103 (not entirely correct to compare them as they play on two different turntables with different phono preamps, but that's what I currently have for direct comparison). Unfortunately I use fixed headshell tonearm on my Lenco L75 TT on which I have mounted the Nagaoka, so quick cartridge swaps are difficult. But if fickle audio memory serves, the Nagaoka plays better in every meaningful way than the last cartridge I had mounted on the Lenco (a Denon DL 160 HOMC). I also have a dim memory of the sound of the Shure V15 Mark III and M97xE mounted on the same TT. The Nagaoka has a forceful sound, quite bold and fairly dynamic, that the M97xE or V15 lacked. I don't have the M97xE anymore but still have the V15 so I'll mount it again at some later date to compare their sonics. I also retain some sonic memory of the very popular Ortofon 2M Red cartridge (albeit on another TT, phono preamp, amp and speakers). The Nagaoka leaves the 2M Red biting the dust. There is simply no comparison.

The third standout feature is it has an ever-present sense of taking the music forward. It's certainly not a dull cartridge.

Some caveats are in order: the Nagaoka MP 110 spec sheet does not mention the recommended capacitive loading. Various audio forums variously suggest anything spanning from 110 pF to 600 pF. I haven't fully experimented though I went as far as 600 pF and as low as 125 pF but I seem to like 440 pF loading. For resistive loading, I use 47K and 68K Ohms interchangeably, preferring the higher value more. Above 68K, things turn bright. 68K has just the right amount of liveliness without degrading into etched bright sound, while 47K can make many records sound duller than they should be. I also use a slightly positive VTA. I'll probably experiment further with VTA after more hours, to see if I can fine tune the tonal balance better (not that the current tonal balance is bad).

Do consider this cartridge for your next upgrade.

Last edited:
For those looking to climb up the cartridge ladder to something much better than the Nagaoka MP 110, here's a review of the Hana EL:

Watch the video for the rather interesting twist in the story;)

Hana SL is a MC cartridge. But the wise upgrade would be the MP150. When hear the music (on Youtube) playing under the MP150 , I hope that the search for the 'musical cart' in the upper medium level budget , will come to an end . Fantastic! But IMHO, for our Indian classical music or film music, the MP110 is convincingly enough.

Hana SL is a MC cartridge. But the wise upgrade would be the MP150. When hear the music (on Youtube) playing under the MP150 , I hope that the search for the 'musical cart' in the upper medium level budget , will come to an end . Fantastic! But IMHO, for our Indian classical music or film music, the MP110 is convincingly enough.

Sunder

I use the nagaoka mp30 now. This is the predecessor to MP300

Regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back