Nakamichi DR-2 - buying advice

sudhirbhan

Needed advice from the gurus.

One of my friends is selling a Nakamichi DR-2 cassette deck in good condition. He has offered it to me for 9.5K. Is it a good price? Naks was always in my "to-buy" list. Hence am tempted on that front, but the question is whether the price is right. Let your points of view flow in....

Thanks in advance!

Recently (3 months back) a friend of mine bough DR-2 for 4800 rs. The deck was very good condition. I am not sure what the market price but this is what he paid. Hope it helps.

Anm: LOL no way, I will be the first to pick it. He got a steal deal, its very difficult to put a price on these

Audio: The slow progress is the pain which gives more pleasure ;)

Thanks Ram and audio_engr for the inputs.

@ ram, your friend must have been extremely lucky to have got it for 4.8K. Now the tussle between the heart and mind has become even more intense - lets see whether passion wins over practicality :clapping:

He did...anyway, i did make few phone calls to people in chennai and the price seems fair if the deck is good condition. Also, this being later model, it must not have been abused.

The only problem with Nak are that if it was used for professional use it would have been abused. If this deck u r referring to is home used, blind fold and buy :cool:

Thanks again Ram for going that extra mile and collecting the info. Yes, it has been a part of my friend's home audio setup. Am not sure about the abuse part though - the heads/ capstans/ rollers also seemed to be in good condition. A couple of tapes that I played sounded pleasant too - way better than the sony mini hi-fi system that I am accustomed to.:)

It was little selfish motive also, bcos even I am hunting for a Tape Deck :) when it comes to music, I have mostly seen Heart rule over the HEAD :lol:

I budget 1 and end up spending 3 times :clapping: but when you hear the music flow, its BLISS even more when you wife says WOW :yahoo:

Thanks Ram; finally it is the heart which ruled. Am going ahead with the purchase.

For the benefit of fellow Nakamichi DR-2 owners, I have a scanned copy of the user manual. Due to size restrictions I am unable to upload it to the thread. PM me with your contact email details in case any of you want a copy.

Nakamichi customer support responded within 8 hours to my request for soft copy of the manual - amazing customer service, I must say! :clapping:

ha ha ha....I told you, when it comes to Music, mind rarely dominates...here is wishing you a Nak-a time :)

Btw: Do you have enough casette source?

"Most of the time, you end up paying a premium for the brandname"

NO. I had the opportunity to own and use a number of Nakamichi Decks and all I can say is - its an asset. Their heavy mechanism decks are a joy to use.

When I first heard the Naks 480 cassette deck playing a decent recording made in a TDK SA Cassette I was unable to tell the difference from the CD Version.

The only problem we as Nak Deck owner face is the availability of qualified service because the heavy mechanism demands calibration at least once in a year if played regularly, but thats not available in our country.

The demise of Nakamichi is a great loss to the audio industry....now its a chinese company with some hopeless product..........Ted and Niro Nakamichi were genius when it came to designing precision electronics.

"Nakamichi customer support responded within 8 hours to my request for soft copy of the manual - amazing customer service, I must say!"

Can you provide me the Nak Customer Support Email.
Thanks.

Thanks Ram; finally it is the heart which ruled. Am going ahead with the purchase.

For the benefit of fellow Nakamichi DR-2 owners, I have a scanned copy of the user manual. Due to size restrictions I am unable to upload it to the thread. PM me with your contact email details in case any of you want a copy.

Nakamichi customer support responded within 8 hours to my request for soft copy of the manual - amazing customer service, I must say! :clapping:

congratulations, Sudhir!:clapping: so, when will be the demo? :D

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back