My goal :
1.Stream 4K movies to my nvidia shield
2. Stream music to my Cambridge cxn streamer
2. Store few 4K movies and lots of lossless music

Options?

Wd NAS
Synology Nas
PC/laptop ???

I need fast, not struggling playback of 4K movies. Budget is max 25k. Some suggestion please. Thank you.

My goal :

Options?

Wd NAS
Synology Nas
PC/laptop ???

I need fast, not struggling playback of 4K movies. Budget is max 25k. Some suggestion please. Thank you.

How much TB of 4k movies and music in total do you have now and how big you expect this to grow in next 2 years? Cheapest option is to hook usb external hard drives to Nvidia sheild TV. But best performance you will get with making a pc as Nas, not with laptop Hard drive.

My goal :

Options?

Wd NAS
Synology Nas
PC/laptop ???

Since you have Nvidia shield, go for Synology NAS. You won't regret. Plex server in Synology NAS is as good as Nvidia shield server.

If you don't need NAS for anything else other than storage, even 418j will do. Even I was in a dilemma and ended up buying 218+ considering the balance between storage and performance. If I get a chance now, I would definitely buy 418j.

NAS fill faster than you anticipate. So, better go for 4bay with higher capacity drive.

How much TB of 4k movies and music in total do you have now and how big you expect this to grow in next 2 years? Cheapest option is to hook usb external hard drives to Nvidia sheild TV. But best performance you will get with making a pc as Nas, not with laptop Hard drive.

Music, about 100 odd CDs will be converted and stored on the HDD.

Also, I have an ancient laptop. What I want for ease of operation, is a torrent that downloads straight to the Nas, eliminating the PC inbetween. Is that possible?

Since you have Nvidia shield, go for Synology NAS. You won't regret. Plex server in Synology NAS is as good as Nvidia shield server.

If you don't need NAS for anything else other than storage, even 418j will do. Even I was in a dilemma and ended up buying 218+ considering the balance between storage and performance. If I get a chance now, I would definitely buy 418j.

NAS fill faster than you anticipate. So, better go for 4bay with higher capacity drive.

Like I said, my storage won't be much.

The ds418 are in excess of 40k. Without HDD. That's way over budget. All I want is a fast 4k stream.

Like I said, my storage won't be much. I watch and delete.

The ds418 are in excess of 40k. Without HDD. That's way over budget. All I want is a fast 4k stream.
If you can source from US, pricing is better.
218j should be good enough for you i think.I use it for torrent download, works awesome.

The ds218j doesn't have that good specs on paper. The ds218 has way better specs but ofcourse it's expensive as well. Getting from US is not possible sadly.

Do u do 4k? Or regular HD?

The ds218j doesn't have that good specs on paper. The ds218 has way better specs but ofcourse it's expensive as well. Getting from US is not possible sadly.

Do u do 4k? Or regular HD?
I watch hd (usually 10 to 25GB files). Watched couple of 4K as well. Nvidia shield performs well. I don't think Synology will bottleneck. Again my switch is 10/100.

Internet connection max out @100Mbps for me. Downloading through Synology gives me max 90Mbps.

Also, I have an ancient laptop. What I want for ease of operation, is a torrent that downloads straight to the Nas, eliminating the PC inbetween. Is that possible?

Music is not much, ancient laptop is more than enough to store (new hdd?) And stream. 4k download, after watching you delete stuff or will store and this is expected to grow?

Most definitely a NAS, the DLNA server will serve up all the goodies you store there.
Running a Torrent client can be done via a compatible router and set the destination to one of your NAS storage. Also 4K streaming and network bottleneck is due to limitations of router, not the NAS. Make sure you get a capable AC router with a dual core processor and enough RAM for it to manage all the traffic.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ is a wonderful place to get your research done for anything home-network related.

Music is not much, ancient laptop is more than enough to store (new hdd?) And stream. 4k download, after watching you delete stuff or will store and this is expected to grow?
After watching the 4K movies I delete them. So I won’t be storing any movies. Music, I will rip my cds and store.

I have two separate rooms. One for music and one for ht. How will one laptop solve the purpose?

After watching the 4K movies I delete them. So I won’t be storing any movies. Music, I will rip my cds and store.

I have two separate rooms. One for music and one for ht. How will one laptop solve the purpose?

Is there a provision to run lan wires from one room to another? Then I suggest that you palace the laptop wired LAN to the router and have wires go to Nvidia TV to ensure no drop in throughput while doing 4k streaming. If the other room for music has LAN wires it's fine, if not then rely on cxn to pull things over WiFi, these days we have lossless streaming over internet so I do not see an issue with doing the same in home network over WiFi though nothing beats LAN wires.

If you share your files (normal windows folder sharing) by storing On a laptop then all your devices can access while being on same network.

Now the next question is your old laptop good enough for 4k streaming, and the best way to find that out if you have a 2nd laptop is https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/storage/nas-performance-toolkit.html. I am hoping it does have gigabit LAN and your router has gigabit ports however for 10/100 ports too you have hope, after all if we are in LAN wires we can still be good.

You need to install this on the 2bd laptop or desktop to simulate how a receiver would see performance of your Nas / shared folder of old laptop. You need to run 2 scenarios one where you have the 2nd laptop on LAN and 2nd on WiFi. Let me know or post here the outcome, ideally there is a test for the video streaming where the throughput should be at least 20-25 Mbps in order to come near to 4k streaming.

Last edited:
Any device streaming 4k content and any device receiving it, it's best to have wired connection to router for best transmission
Wifi has losses even after few mtrs from the router
10/100 is enough for 4k streaming

On most operating systems, you can "mount" (the technical term you can search on Google, eg. "mount NAS drive on windows") the NAS as a local drive and then in your torrent software set that drive (or a folder in it) as your download destination. Also as mentioned by others on the forum, a direct LAN connection will be very good for lag-free experience esp. with 4K content. Wifi will cause lot of lag/buffering issues unless you are using some really top-notch routing hardware.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back