NAS under 10k?

avink

I am looking to buy a NAS. Budget is 10K pref with 1TB drive(but am ok with diskless if dont have good options). The must-haves for me are - inbuilt torrent support and ability to stream HD content(wired). Though i have not confirmed the prices yet, but I am considering two options - Buffalo LinkStation series and Netgear ReadyNAS series.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

A dumb question. Why would you need a NAS for a 1TB drive? Can you not simply attach it to a processor in a network, and make a few directories as shareable? Would that not work?

Cheers

A dumb question. Why would you need a NAS for a 1TB drive? Can you not simply attach it to a processor in a network, and make a few directories as shareable? Would that not work?

Cheers

More than redundancy, I am looking at something that has torrent support with small form factor. I am using my PC for downloading and sharing stuff right now and am looking at replacing it.

For a simple network attached storage, I like the idea of attaching a USB hard disk to Netgear N600 and enabling media server. This is an inexpensive and quick option but without RAID or added features like torrent support.

I do have a Netgear ReadyNAS but I never use that for torrents. I find using my computer simpler and more secure than NAS and I have more control over the torrent.

Have you considered the cloudftp device.
It retails for USD 128 (including shipping to India) and basically converts any external USB drive to a NAS. Its a small gadget with a battery and wifi connectivity. u can then buy any external hd and connect via USB.
Its even readable to an Ipad/ PC/ MAC.
More over here: HyperShop - Shop for HyperJuice, HyperDrive, HyperShield, HyperThin

this is no better than a wifi router with usb, leaving aside the fancies of IPhone platform. It is limited to max 8 hosts only, no lan port for full hd streaming. Synology USB Station 2 is ahead of this by leaps with loads of features, 2 usb ports, gigabit port, and can act as wifi client

Back