Indian Reality TV

thegr8anand

Guys,

Lets be real. 4k tvs are doing my head in. Till date even 1080p content is at a premium and most of the good TVs offer 4k now which makes no sense as most of the content we watch is SD. I have a Videocon D2H HD btw.

I was planning to replace my 51 Samsung E8000 plasma from my living room with a larger tv but have decided against as the viewing distance of more than 20 ft i watch it with makes 4k useless unless i get a ridiculous large and expensive tv.

So i have decided to instead get a 43incher for my room. Now my budget is under 1 lac. I want best quality TV i can get. I have narrowed it down to two 4k options

Samsung KU6470
108cm (43) UHD 4K Flat Smart TV KU6470 Series 6 | SAMSUNG India

Sony X8500c
Sony X85C 4K Ultra HD LED with Android Feature | Sony IN

and one 1080p option

Sony W950D
3D Full HD Smart TV | Android TV with Subwoofer | W95D | Sony IN

I am wondering if the first 2 TVs will provide better picture quality than the W950D(which has good speakers btw so saves on additional speaker cost) considering the only HD content i get is from Videocon D2H.

If you have any other alternatives or suggestions do tell.

Thanks.

Buy the cheapest 42-43 inches possible.

Wait for the 4K TVs to come down in pricing and then buy if necessary. Given panel failure rates, DO NOT invest in an expensive TV.

Save your 1 lakh and if you feel it is too much, give it to me!!! :) :) :)

No i don't want to change it. I need a new tv for my room and thought after 3-4 years surely there would be good improvement and i could go above the 51' i have in living room. So new bigger/better tv in living room and move the plasma in my room. But have dropped the idea and so am just looking for a new tv for the room.

I think i'll wait for a bit and see what festive offers are there for Sony. Past few years have seen not much improvement in HD content and see no point in getting a 4k tv. I think i'll just get the W950D then as it seems the best 1080p TV out there.

So i have decided to instead get a 43incher for my room. <snip>

Hi
I have to get a replacement for my sony - fungus attack on the panel.

I am curious why you chose the listed options over the leeco sx55. From what i have read decent PQ, loads of connectivity options and killer price.

I ask because I am more or less on the fallen on the other side of the fence wrt the leeco - tomorrow midnight ...

ciao
gr

I have read that being upscaled to 4k makes SD content look worse than upscaling to 1080p which is what most of the content we get. Not talking about LeEco but all 4k tvs. Unless you have every content 720p/1080p where 4k upscaling does work fine. Also to notice the difference between 1080p and 4k you have to be at the correct distance of no more than 10ft. In my case this makes 4k tvs useless as my sitting is 15ft in the room, more than 20ft in living room.

After reading reviews and such am assuming Sony/Samsung upscaling does lot better job than LeEco. That is why i am considering just getting a Sony 1080p tv instead as it should do the job fine for next few years.

This guide helped.

4k vs 1080p and upscaling: Is UHD worth the upgrade?

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart-small.png

So can good scaling make a 1080p image look good on a 4K TV? Compared to that same content badly upconverted, yes. In CNET's reviews of the better 4K TVs, we've found that 1080p Blu-ray upconverted to the 4K screens looks great, although not appreciably better than 1080p on a 1080p TV.

It's also worth noting just because content is in 4K resolution, that does not necessarily mean it's "good." I've seen some convincing demos where pristine upconverted 1080p content was shown on a 4K TV, side-by-side with the true 4K version of the same content on a second identical 4K TV. It was hard to tell the difference, even up close.

But that wasn't a real-world demo. In the real world, most content isn't pristine. In the real world, streaming 4K content from Netflix or Amazon can look worse than 1080p Blu-ray. CNET's hands-on comparisons of 4K streaming (and 4K from a Samsung UHD content pack and from Sony's 4K video player ) versus Blu-ray showed very little difference for the most part, and at times the Blu-ray looked better.

That said, the best 1080p content is never going to look as good the best 4K content. It's just not possible.

Lower-than high-def sources

Upconversion is more difficult with lower resolution sources. Standard-definition TV, DVD and even 720p HDTV programs aren't going to look any better on a 4K TV. You can't get water from a stone.

And it's worth remembering that the more you sharpen an image, the more you accentuate the flaws present in lower-grade content, such as noise or macroblocking.

So will a 4K TV displaying lower resolution sources look worse than on a 1080p TV?

That depends on the TV. Will this older, lower-resolution content still be watchable on a 4K TV? Generally, yes. Some videophiles may balk, but for the most part the image will be soft, but not bad. But again, it can depend on the TV. Which brings us to...

Almost every TV

Just because a TV is 4K doesn't mean it has a good scaler built-in. On cheaper 4K TVs, for instance, you probably save money because of a sub-par scaler. So in these cases, 1080p content probably won't look any better (and possibly worse).

Sadly, as far as scaling performance is concerned, you usually get what you pay for.

Bottom line

Like any marketing, take the claims from TV manufacturers with a grain of salt. Good upconversion can improve the apparent detail in an image; I've seen side-by-side demos that make 1080p look nearly as sharp as 4K. Admittedly these were put on by a company which makes scalers, but the potential is there, just as it was in going from standard to high definition.

To get the most out of your 4K TV, you need good 4K content. There isn't a lot now, but there will be more soon. In the meantime, a TV with a good scaler can make 1080p look slightly more detailed, than it would on a similarly-performing 1080p TV. Presuming, of course, you're sitting close enough.

https://www.cnet.com/news/can-4k-tvs-make-1080p-look-better/

Last edited:
Guys,

Lets be real. 4k tvs are doing my head in. Till date even 1080p content is at a premium and most of the good TVs offer 4k now which makes no sense as most of the content we watch is SD. I have a Videocon D2H HD btw.

I was planning to replace my 51 Samsung E8000 plasma from my living room with a larger tv but have decided against as the viewing distance of more than 20 ft i watch it with makes 4k useless unless i get a ridiculous large and expensive tv.

So i have decided to instead get a 43incher for my room. Now my budget is under 1 lac. I want best quality TV i can get. I have narrowed it down to two 4k options

Samsung KU6470
108cm (43) UHD 4K Flat Smart TV KU6470 Series 6 | SAMSUNG India

Sony X8500c
Sony X85C 4K Ultra HD LED with Android Feature | Sony IN

and one 1080p option

Sony W950D
3D Full HD Smart TV | Android TV with Subwoofer | W95D | Sony IN

I am wondering if the first 2 TVs will provide better picture quality than the W950D(which has good speakers btw so saves on additional speaker cost) considering the only HD content i get is from Videocon D2H.

Thanks.

If i may ask, what will will be your content ?
I was on same boat 6 months back, but at last i bought Sony 1080 Led, at same money i was getting Lg 4K on amazon :D

Please take the decision cautiously, anyways i m curious to know, what will be your content ?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back