need a good integrated amp

aumesh

which integrated amp would be good for jamo floor standing speakers with side woofers...confused between the rms of marantz pm 5004 as its 40 rms where as the yamaha rs 201 is approx 100 rms...

Hi

What is the model number of Jamo Towers? Typically these would be 140w RMS at 6 ohms and around 100w rms at 8 ohms...so you need a good amp that delivers 100w rms at 8 ohms...

There are lot of AMPs out there and key is to audition and decide on what suits your requirements.....budget also plays a role....

If there are budget constraints look at Hifi Ads or For Sale by owner.....there are some good deals in Mumbai itself.....

If you have a lot of digital stuff to connect and also would like to connect a subwoofer later...why not look at AVRs? You can Bi Amp Channels to achieve the power you require for stereo listening....I know that all AVRs don't sound great for music....a few like Marantz , NAD and Pioneer (LX series) are great....

All the best

Hi,
Did you buy the Atoll in India or get it from abroad? Just curious, because I came to know in a passing conversation that they have signed up with a distributor in India recently.

which integrated amp would be good for jamo floor standing speakers with side woofers...confused between the rms of marantz pm 5004 as its 40 rms where as the yamaha rs 201 is approx 100 rms...

This would entirely depend on the room size, for my room of 13*10, the PM 5004 fills the sound very very well at half the volume.
Highly Recommended! :)

Marantz PM5004/6004 is good for music. Select loudness control amp for better punch (especially jamo's side firing tower speaker). Don't select variable loudness control switch amp.

Are you good with soldering n electrical troubleshooting??
If so, I would recommend getting a vintage integrated or receiver.
Anyway, if you get an already recapped/refurbished unit then no need to worry for another 20-30yrs.
Certain models of late 60s all the way to late 70s from Marantz,Pioneer,Sansui,Yamaha,Luxman,Kenwood are very good value for money and will outperform most of the current entry level/mid level amps. They looks beautiful and well built compared to today's standards.
Another main advantage of these vintage amps are ease of repair and troubleshoot in case of fault as those are made with discrete components which are easily available and cheap. They will always appreciate in value unlike current plastic entry level junk.

Last edited:
Some of the reasons one can go for vintage amps from the 70 s to 90s is because you could get top of the line amps at reasonable prices. The second resaon is that this could be called the golden period of hi fi when solid state amps were the norm. Of course we rarely get good examples in India and if you do they are quite expensive.. One need only look at a Technics SE A 5 or listen to a NAD 3020 to understand what I am talking about. I also want to say that many of the products were rated very conservatively. For eg the NAD 3020 according to New Acoustic Dimension management was rated only at 20 W per channel into 8 ohms. I want to ask what would be the impression created if someone were to say that his amp is rated at 20 W per channel. Many of us may laugh at how puny is that amp. But more important is that this small ugly looking amp was rated dynamically at 40 W into 8 ohms, 58 W into 4 ohms and 72 W into 2 ohm loads. That is called understatement and i would even say honesty on the part of the manufacturers. Indeed they could drive the notoriously difficult LINN ISOBARIKs ( rated at 3 ohms) with ease. In a short sentence I personally believe that vintage amps are more honest and more capable for the money paid than for what we get today. However that is not to discount the PRIMARE s of today ..they are indeed phenomenal but there's a price to pay ..

Last edited:
@ Truly said. While power is important if it is not accompanied with that abstract adjective called "musicality", power itself doesnt have any value. From my small collection of economy middle end amps I can say that some brands themselves have a distinct sound. For eg YAMAHA amps are reknowned for Natural Sound. Indeed this was one of the bye line for theirs ads in the United States in the seventies. Listening to my vintage YAMAHA AX-640 I can support this to a large extent. The sound is almost flat with quite a true reproduction of the material. To some extent this is replicated in my ONKYO A-R 700 which as you are all aware is a more powerful amp. The ONKYO also does not accentuate bass and produces tight bass which never threatens to overwhelm the room. However I am sometimes surprised to hear my old JVC amplifier while less powerful to be a favourite. While considered a entry level amp the AX 30 produces a beautiful sound and at low listening levels the Loudness button enhances the bass beautifully. Mind you I brought this amplifier 28 years ago and it has never ever been repaired. Musicality indeed is the heart and soul of a amplifier.

Last edited:
my experience is that power of the amp has nothing to do with its performance
That's because for a given power rating..the quality of the pre amp is even more important but neglected during purchase

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back