Need a new cdp around 1Lac

Hi guys,

I am a very old hifivision member who is returning. The reason I had left was that I had over 70 posts which just disappeared thus not letting me post stuff for sale which I always have. All attempts to retrieve them failed.

Anyways, I am looking for a good cdp around 1Lac. I am looking at 2 possibilities:
A good cdp
A decent transport with and stand-alone Dac like a Chord qutest.

All advise welcome.
My current system:
Amp: Unison Research Triode 25 with usb Dac, Trigon Energy int amp
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5 Plus, Wilson Benesch ARC
SUB: REL Storm 5
Cdp: Marantz CD 17 mk3 modified with Trichord Research clock 4 module with dedicated psu.
Speaker cables: Chord signature, VDH Revelation
Interconnects: Siltech, vdh, Morrow, Nordost etc. but primarily use Morrow m3.

My cdp sometimes skips hence planning to buy another. I have not tried opening it and checking as yet but it is time I guess.
Hi brother, try cyrus CD player , well built & well sounding CD player,

I use the Rega Apollo R and am quite happy with it. I usually use it with an external DAC but the direct output is not bad at all.

My thoughts on buying a CDP

1. CDs are being rapidly phased out .... Difficult to get a good choice of new CDs in India, at reasonable prices.

2. A CD Player Laser Assembly can be expected to have a life of approx 5 years (even though some last longer, that is your luck!)

3. In view of 1 & 2 above, I feel that ANY CDP that you buy today, MUST be selected to have an External USB (Digital) input .... preferably also Coax (SPDIF) and TOSLINK (optical) digital inputs.

These will enable you to use your CDP as a an external DAC also.... enabling you to play out music from a Hard Disk & Stream digital music (Tidal etc) today & even after the CD Laser in the transport fades away ....

4. You have a Good Quality setup, capable of fully utilising a the capabilities of a DAC Far better than the Chord you have mentioned.

I also see that you are a Marantz user, and clearly, you like the Marantz Sonic signature.

I would therefore recommend the MARANTZ SA 14S1 (Rs 1.5L retail) or the Marantz SA 12 ( Rs 2 L retail). Both M/cs are Superbly built, and will provide you sound way above that of garden variety CDPs. Just in case you are wondering... YES, the Good CD Transport built into these players will provide you FAR superior sound on CD playback than using a DAC + DVD player with digital out.

I have indicated Mumbai Retail prices that were available about 6 months ago, and they are Substantially below MRP. if you want the contact, send me a personal message.

Please do consider point 3 when making your choice .........

Ok i use a coax to bnc cable. U can also get connectors at MX
My thoughts on buying a CDP

1. CDs are being rapidly phased out .... Difficult to get a good choice of new CDs in India, at reasonable prices.

2. A CD Player Laser Assembly can be expected to have a life of approx 5 years (even though some last longer, that is your luck!)

3. In view of 1 & 2 above, I feel that ANY CDP that you buy today, MUST be selected to have an External USB (Digital) input .... preferably also Coax (SPDIF) and TOSLINK (optical) digital inputs.

These will enable you to use your CDP as a an external DAC also.... enabling you to play out music from a Hard Disk & Stream digital music (Tidal etc) today & even after the CD Laser in the transport fades away ....

4. You have a Good Quality setup, capable of fully utilising a the capabilities of a DAC Far better than the Chord you have mentioned.

I also see that you are a Marantz user, and clearly, you like the Marantz Sonic signature.

I would therefore recommend the MARANTZ SA 14S1 (Rs 1.5L retail) or the Marantz SA 12 ( Rs 2 L retail). Both M/cs are Superbly built, and will provide you sound way above that of garden variety CDPs. Just in case you are wondering... YES, the Good CD Transport built into these players will provide you FAR superior sound on CD playback than using a DAC + DVD player with digital out.

I have indicated Mumbai Retail prices that were available about 6 months ago, and they are Substantially below MRP. if you want the contact, send me a personal message.

Please do consider point 3 when making your choice .........
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. My answers to your points:.

CDs are being rapidly phased out .... Difficult to get a good choice of new CDs in India, at reasonable prices. -

I import my CDs or pick them up during my travels. Also, I have a vast collection of CDs so not using CDs is not an option. I have a very basic setup for Streaming via BT using Zen Blue and using my USB Dac in my amp. I still prefer the simplicity of the CD medium.

A CD Player Laser Assembly can be expected to have a life of approx 5 years (even though some last longer, that is your luck!).
I agree hence am a bit sceptical after reading so many transport and laser issues. Luckily none of my CD players have given up before 15-16 years with one going on for 26 years or so.

Again completely agree. This was the reason I was giving the Marantz SA8005 a serious thought. However, the reading issues mentioned on various threads scared me out of my purchase :-(.

Yes. My current thought is to break up my source to Transport and Dac.

Any that you recommend?

I also see that you are a Marantz user, and clearly, you like the Marantz Sonic signature. Yes. I have not used any other player over the last 27 or so years except a Sony CDP45s right in the beginning.
However, I am open to trying other brands now.

Will send you a PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never experienced any such issues with SA8005 so far. I have owned another SA8005 in the past, which also did not give me any issues. But i have never really tried with scratched or lesser quality CDs. All the CDs i have tried are original pressings.
I have Marantz SA8005, CD6006 both. CD6006 refuses to play or skips even slightly scratched CDs while SA8005 plays even badly scratched CDs.

I have Marantz SA8005, CD6006 both. CD6006 refuses to play or skips even slightly scratched CDs while SA8005 plays even badly scratched CDs.
Hi brother, please don't play badly scratched CDs, it's spoiled your CD player pickup lens,

Hi brother, please don't play badly scratched CDs, it's spoiled your CD player pickup lens,
The CD Lens does not touch the CD.... Hence a scratched CD cannot damage a CD Lens.

That was somewhat true for a scratched LP player by a stylus

The CD Lens does not touch the CD.... Hence a scratched CD cannot damage a CD Lens.

That was somewhat true for a scratched LP player by a stylus
I think what he means is that if you play badly scratched cds often the lens has to work extra.
This weakens the lens.

There are threads that say a lot of reading issues with the latest marantz cdps. I myself tested cd6006 which does not even read some brand new cds, it had skipping issues, It would show you no disc for some discs. To confirm it again, I loaned another cd6006 from a dealer here and checked the same cds. There is no difference between both of the players.
I have a 6 year old 6005. Never skipped a single note. I think the problem you mentioned is limited to the new models. In fact I am getting the 8005 or 8006 soon. No reports of similar problems with this made in Japan units. The OP is not looking at a made in Vietnam model that is for sure.

I have a Marantz cd 6006 UK edition. The good part is, it sounds very good but the bad part is, it is a little finicky where reading cd's are concerned. Sometimes it reads a track & sometimes it does not read the same track. When you skip fast it sometimes pauses. I have found the Pioneer cdp's to be very reliable in this dept in my experience. Have heard good reviews of the higher end Denon too.
I would be a bit wary of the cd players from Marantz at least in this price range.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back