Need a new Home theater setup... No clue where to start...HELP

Pranav

Hi I need to create a new home theater setup at my house, more like I need two setups. Both 5.1, one in my room and one in my brother's room. I am not sure what kind of equipment to buy, please suggest. Like i know I will need speakers, amplifiers and cabling, but i need help with specifics on brands and models and places to go and see/buy them. Help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance...

Hi Pranav, Welcome to the forum. If you could mention how much you are willing to spend, the members could start suggesting brands and models that fit your budget.

hi pranav....

been in your place... rather i still am as i have to still decide my own 5.1 setup.. but i've been doing demos for the last 2 months and would like to help you if i can....

how ever we need you to mention your budget.... ;-)

Hi Guys, I am ok to spend about 3.5 lacs on my setup and my brother is able to spend about 4.5 - 5.0 lacs on his setup...Much help will be needed...
I went down to a store called Profx, they managed to confuse me even more , plus i think all the brands they were pushing to me were being distributed by them. All i wanted was an unbiased opinion, what i got was one sided hard sales push...
What i need is help in configuring the amp speakers cable and media player oh yeah and also projector and screen, can i get help with brands available and where to buy them from in Mumbai...

Those are decent budgets for high quality solutions. You could visit the Pandam showroom in Mahim where you could collect some great ideas, recommendations and advice. They also provide an amazing demo of their Genelec active loudspeaker systems. You will be delighted with what you see & hear there.
http://www.pandamaudio.com/

I would say some good brands for this price are Monitor Audio, B&W, Martin Logan and above.

3.5L
Sub 75-100k
Receiver-75-100k
Fronts 75-100k
Rear 25k
Center 50k
Misc 25k

5L
Sub 1.25-1.5L
Receiver 1-1.25L
Front 1.5L
Rear 0.5L
Center 0.5L

Hi Guys, I am ok to spend about 3.5 lacs on my setup and my brother is able to spend about 4.5 - 5.0 lacs on his setup...Much help will be needed...
I went down to a store called Profx, they managed to confuse me even more , plus i think all the brands they were pushing to me were being distributed by them. All i wanted was an unbiased opinion, what i got was one sided hard sales push...
What i need is help in configuring the amp speakers cable and media player oh yeah and also projector and screen, can i get help with brands available and where to buy them from in Mumbai...

Thats a pretty solid budget, with budget like that and a setup with projector, its better if you can pour in some more detail like primarily the size of your room, coz with 3-4 L in hand we can have a pretty hard hitting setup but would definitely need a decent sized room as well. Anyway at random I will stock in few options....

AVR : DENON 2310. around 65K
5.1 Package :: There is huge load to choose from, you got to audition every single one of them to judge your choice. I will start with TANNOY SIGNATURE TS12 around 2.5L, then B&W 685 Theatre around 1.3L, then there are independent spks you can opt like from Paradigm, Definative Technologies, Morduant short....etc, but there are loads out there to choose from, start your research.

For projector, my personal favs are only two ...

1. Panasonic 4000AE (1080p), this should come between 1 and 1.5L
2. SANYO PLV Z700 (1080p)

But Optima HD800 is also immensely popular in the projector market Infocus N81 is also there, but its pretty expensive I guess.......

The above recommendations is just a pit start for you, as I said there is an ocean out there, more gurus like santosh and sri, would guide you better, more so in cabling and acoustics as well.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back