Need a Turntable! Max budget 50K. Complete Noob in vinyls!

Hi
You have already been flooded with advices from our beloved FMs. I will request you to keep in mind 2things. 1. S shaped tone arm and 2.universal headshell
S shaped tone arm is good for Indian classical and Bollywood oldies and universal head shell is necessary for future upgrade to cart and stylus. As regards separate phono preamp you may add it later . These days many TTS are coming with in built phono and IMO those are not bad. Certainly a separate phono will change the sound quality but for the time being in built phono may be a good choice. Since you are a new comer in vinyl domain, I would recommend an automatic TT for you because of the hazard of placing the stylus on the moving vinyl and returning the same. Only a practised hand can place the stylus on a moving disc without doing much harm to it.
I can assure you that vinyl is a fine thing to go along and vinyl route is definitely a golden path.
Regards

Hi
You have already been flooded with advices from our beloved FMs. I will request you to keep in mind 2things. 1. S shaped tone arm and 2.universal headshell
S shaped tone arm is good for Indian classical and Bollywood oldies and universal head shell is necessary for future upgrade to cart and stylus. As regards separate phono preamp you may add it later . These days many TTS are coming with in built phono and IMO those are not bad. Certainly a separate phono will change the sound quality but for the time being in built phono may be a good choice. Since you are a new comer in vinyl domain, I would recommend an automatic TT for you because of the hazard of placing the stylus on the moving vinyl and returning the same. Only a practised hand can place the stylus on a moving disc without doing much harm to it.
I can assure you that vinyl is a fine thing to go along and vinyl route is definitely a golden path.
Regards
Thanks! This is further food for thought. The thing, is I have faith in vinyl but not in myself. I don't want it to be the case where i get something brilliant but its wasted on me cuz of non-usage.

As such, i want only something decent for the time being to get a taste of it. In case i feel the need to upgrade sometime down the line, i'll sell off what i finally end up getting... i'm sure i won't have any problem finding buyers on the forum and if its cheap to begin with, i'll be selling it cheaper still second hand for a beginner hobbyist like me to sink their teeth in without spending mucho bucks! :)

Last edited:
I would suggest you to buy a better TT without inbuilt phonostage. you can also look for some vintage TTs. They are built better than most TT's available now a days.
There are so many DIY options for phonostage. I can also provide one https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ad797-phono-stage-build-and-help-desk-thread.501186/

Regards
Sachin
Please don't scare me with DIY stuff! I've got the dexterity of a monkey when it comes to building things. My memories of screwing up GI Joe vehicles due to impatience while reading instructions still haunts me! :p

And yes, i've decided to go with a TT without an inbuilt phonostage.

Please don't scare me with DIY stuff! I've got the dexterity of a monkey when it comes to building things. My memories of screwing up GI Joe vehicles due to impatience while reading instructions still haunts me! :p

You get it completely wrong :)
That's our FM sachu888 on another forum
He's got one of the best regarded DIY phono preamps.. He will probabaly be willing to build one for you

So this is to update everyone. First off, I'm extremely grateful towards all FMs for their helpful inputs! They really helped me gain perspective about what to consider and the discussions also helped me decide on what I was really looking for at the moment. I just happened to ping my dealer who gave me a stellar deal on a Rega Planar 1. Its going to save me a ton of money on my budget which I can now allocate towards other stuff that I've wanted to acquire (such as a decent CD player for all the CDs lying dormant and gathering dust). Its going to arrive in about 20 days time and I've put down some earnest money towards the purchase.

I'm also very grateful towards all the FMs who pinged me and offered incredible deals. Unfortunately, they were maxing out my budget and i know I'm going to be kicking myself over it!

Well, I already am!

Congratulations on the records and Of all the modern turntables, I would suggest the Rega set with its cart.( at least Planar 3) and as a phono the best bet is a Schiit Mani or graham slee. If you get a used technics then thats another great choice.

You can upgrade the cart as needed later. Better to get the best you can on the source

So these are the record that were graciously given away to me:

View attachment 49335

View attachment 49336

View attachment 49337

View attachment 49338View attachment 49339View attachment 49340

I'm quite thrilled about the prospect of checking them out on a decent turntable!:D
I'm drooling. Some of the recordings are totally unavailable in the market now, in any format. You are lucky. Take care of the gems. Get a good cartridge on your Rega. Both so that you enjoy the gems as well as they are not damaged.

I'm drooling. Some of the recordings are totally unavailable in the market now, in any format. You are lucky. Take care of the gems. Get a good cartridge on your Rega. Both so that you enjoy the gems as well as they are not damaged.
Most definitely! :)

I would suggest you to buy a better TT without inbuilt phonostage. you can also look for some vintage TTs. They are built better than most TT's available now a days.
There are so many DIY options for phonostage. I can also provide one https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ad797-phono-stage-build-and-help-desk-thread.501186/

Regards
Sachin

My apologies. I completely misunderstood what you meant as @Naturelover pointed out. Extremely grateful for your generous offer. :)

Nice LPs and nice choice of turntable. Wire up and enjoy (don't forget to clean your records before playing, even if they look cleanish). Turntables and Reel decks are not everyone's cup of tea but for those genuinely interested in these formats, the pleasure one gets is amazing and highly infectious. All the very best!!

Nice LPs and nice choice of turntable. Wire up and enjoy (don't forget to clean your records before playing, even if they look cleanish). Turntables and Reel decks are not everyone's cup of tea but for those genuinely interested in these formats, the pleasure one gets is amazing and highly infectious. All the very best!!
Aye aye Sir!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back