Need advice for upgrading my subwoofer

Dr.vinayaka

Hi good evening
Greetings from Shimoga
I need suggestions and advice from you all regarding buying new subwoofer.
Dimension of my dedicated home theatre -17'6'' X 12'00'' with wooden flooring
Presently I have wharfaedale D10 subwoofer.
Av receiver- Marantz SR 6013, emotiva floor standers and centre( T1 and C1)6 pairs of surround speakers all of which are wharfaedale DFS. I am not happy with subwoofer both during music and movies . I can’t feel my subwoofer.
My choices are
1) velodyne wi q -10
2) velodyne Wi q12
3) Bic America- PL 200ii
4) SVS- SB 1000
5) SVS-PB 1000
5) Emotiva Bass-X 10/12
I don’t know which one to buy
I have read through several threads over here but no comments on one versus other and also regarding velodyne versus svs .
Please help me and guide me regarding the same.
Does receiver should match with subwoofer if so which subwoofer will match with my system for both music and movie

Hey Hi,

No there is nothing like matching a Sub to a receiver or any other speaker. All it needs to match is to the strings in your mind and heart. My choice would be between Subs 3,4 and 5 in your list.

MaSh

Hey Hi,

No there is nothing like matching a Sub to a receiver or any other speaker. All it needs to match is to the strings in your mind and heart. My choice would be between Subs 3,4 and 5 in your list.

MaSh
What is your opinion regarding velodyne versus bic America versus svs

Since you already have wharfaedale D10 subwoofer, adding one more of the same makes it identical dual subs..
I don’t like wharfaedale. I think it just sleeping in the home theatre I don’t feel it’s presence. No punchy bass even during action scenes. So I don’t like wharfaedale please suggest from above brands one best subwoofer and why it is best

Hey Hi,

MaSh
Out of your 3 choices which one is best and the next and last and why you have chosen them why you have opted out velodyne. What is the problem with wireless subwoofers. Is velodyne me is bad choice if so why

What is your opinion regarding velodyne versus bic America versus svs

Never Heard a Velodyne. So no idea about it. Bic America Vs SVS: Pick the one that fits your budget. Both are really good Subs. SVS goes really deep and you can really feel it. BIC America is not too far off and when setup right in a good spot can sound very good too for Movies and Music.

Out of your 3 choices which one is best and the next and last and why you have chosen them why you have opted out velodyne. What is the problem with wireless subwoofers. Is velodyne me is bad choice if so why

If you have the budget SVS else BIC America. Reason mentioned above. No issue with Wireless Sub as long as the timing is right and Sub is in direct sight with its controller (as in my Onkyo LSI3100). As said, never heard a velodyne, so no idea about it.

MaSh

Never Heard a Velodyne. So no idea about it. Bic America Vs SVS: Pick the one that fits your budget. Both are really good Subs. SVS goes really deep and you can really feel it. BIC America is not too far off and when setup right in a good spot can sound very good too for Movies and Music.

If you have the budget SVS else BIC America. Reason mentioned above. No issue with Wireless Sub as long as the timing is right and Sub is in direct sight with its controller (as in my Onkyo LSI3100). As said, never heard a velodyne, so no idea about it.

MaSh
Svs Sb 1000 or pb 1000. Which one is good and why. Whoa re the dealers in Bangalore for both svs and BIC

I don’t like wharfaedale. I think it just sleeping in the home theatre I don’t feel it’s presence. No punchy bass even during action scenes. So I don’t like wharfaedale please suggest from above brands one best subwoofer and why it is best

Adding a 2nd sub provides you additional sound pressure level of + 3dB and smoother response at your listening position.. Also if your listening position is in midst of the two subs, it should be even better..

How far is your sub from your listening position?..

I have the Velodyne EQ Max 15. This is a big sub and its quite powerful. 750 watts RMS. Receiver set sub to -4.5, Sub volume at 16 in a range of 0 to 80. I listen to it at flat for music which just about adds the low end without noticing the sub. For Movies I set the EQ to Movies. I usually show off my system by playing the first scene of Spectre where the building falls down. At -5 DB, it feels like my flat is crumbling down !!! I usually have the volume at -20 for normal listening. Velodyne makes good subs but I don't know how it fares against SVS who also make good subs.

Last edited:
Svs Sb 1000 or pb 1000. Which one is good and why. Whoa re the dealers in Bangalore for both svs and BIC

Have you googled? These are two very very popular Subs around the world. Go through the below links and I am sure you will know what you want!!

SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review and SVS PB-1000 vs PB-2000 Ported Subwoofer Review.

I use a single PB1000 in a 16x12 room and its absolutely stunning for Movies. Do not use it for Music, which is Stereo amp + Kef towers only.

I have the Velodyne EQ Max 15. This is a big sub and its quite powerful. 750 watts RMS. Receiver set sub to -4.5, Sub volume at 16 in a range of 0 to 80. I listen to it at flat for music which just about adds the low end without noticing the sub. For Movies I set the EQ to Movies. I usually show off my system by playing the first scene of Spectre where the building falls down. At -5 DB, it feels like my flat is crumbling down !!! I usually have the volume at -20 for normal listening. Velodyne makes good subs but I don't know how it fares against SVS who also make good subs.

A small tip for you try. Increase the volume of the sub to a point where the receiver sets the gain to its bare minimum (if -12 is floor, get it to -11 or -10.5). Pick the setting you like better.

MaSh

Adding a 2nd sub provides you additional sound pressure level of + 3dB and smoother response at your listening position.. Also if your listening position is in midst of the two subs, it should be even better..

How far is your sub from your listening position?..
Listening position to subwoofer is-3.39metres

I would agree to some of the suggestions above.
Since you are upgrading from a 10 inch Sub, it is better to consider 12 inch subwoofers like PB2000.
If you prefer musical bass, but ready to have slightly lesser low frequency punch (20Hz - 30Hz range), you can consider SB2000.
If you would like to Audition some of the brands you have listed, you can visit HTStore. You can audition SVS, Velodyne, Emotiva Subs there.

If you have finalised on SVS and would like to audition various models like PB1000, SB2000, PB2000, PB4000 etc. you can visit The Home Cinema (Contact: Rupesh - 82965 00666). They seems to have more SVS models for audition compared to HTStore

Respected fellow members
At last I bought - SVS PB 1000 2 days back from ht store
I have connected to Marantz SR 6013
Did Audyssey using 8 positions
After that sound stage awsome
Now I can feel bass
I watched one Atmos movie from Netflix- mogli. Surround effects and LFE effects awsome. SVS will give sudden unexpected sound effects and definitely the best subwoofer. Thanks for advising this best subwoofer. No need of any power amplifiers for my home theatre. I am happy with my home theatre. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. Vinayaka

Last edited:
Svs can dig really deep. Even their basic model subs are known to produce flat response down to 20hz at least. So no wonder you are feeling the bass. Congrats on your purchase.

Congrats on your purchase.

Glad to hear that you are happy with SVS PB1000.

If time permits and you have multiple locations to place the subwoofer, you may do subwoofer crawling and identify suitable places to keep subwoofer.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back