Need advice on buying an amp

musiclovr

Hi.
I am looking for an entry level integrated amp.. i saw an ad on technics su x880 with 80wpc ,thd of .007 .. it is up for grab at 8.5k
Is it worth the price?
I own a pair of Kenwood bookshelf 90w max power handling..

Sent from my XT1706 using Tapatalk

Hi

the Technics SU x880 is an old model amp which was a flagship in those days...your speakers will work well...

There are also other amps available over olx etc...based on your budget and connectivity requirement...look at amps which can minimum output 50 watts RMS at 8 ohms load between Freq 20hz - 20khz....

Hi

the Technics SU x880 is an old model amp which was a flagship in those days...your speakers will work well...

There are also other amps available over olx etc...based on your budget and connectivity requirement...look at amps which can minimum output 50 watts RMS at 8 ohms load between Freq 20hz - 20khz....
Ok.. but is it overpriced at 8.5k.. i am new here.. don't know much about the price of these amps and their components availability

Instead look for a Pre 1970 amplifier made by mid-segment companies like Sansui or Pioneer.
Even a pre-1970 15 watt amp will suffice your need in my opinion.
Look for Sansui AU555, 555A, 777,777A,999, AU317,517.
Look for Pioneer SA1000,900,700 etc
In broad speaking all wooden cabinet made amplifiers hav very high quality overall build so you can go ahead with those but in these days its quite hard to find good condition vintage amplifiers.
I am a diy restorer of vintage amplifiers and big fan of those.

Instead look for a Pre 1970 amplifier made by mid-segment companies like Sansui or Pioneer.
Even a pre-1970 15 watt amp will suffice your need in my opinion.
Look for Sansui AU555, 555A, 777,777A,999, AU317,517.
Look for Pioneer SA1000,900,700 etc
In broad speaking all wooden cabinet made amplifiers hav very high quality overall build so you can go ahead with those but in these days its quite hard to find good condition vintage amplifiers.
I am a diy restorer of vintage amplifiers and big fan of those.
Hi.. raj12345.. I Found one pioneer sa408 near my place at around 8000/- rupees.. jus want to know which one is better the pioneer or technics su-x880 at 8500/-

Last edited:
Neither Technics nor Pioneer is Good.
They will not give you audiophile quality sound.
Instead search wooden body amp pre-1970 manufacture year.

Neither Technics nor Pioneer is Good.
They will not give you audiophile quality sound.
Instead search wooden body amp pre-1970 manufacture year.
Ok... How about nad 304.. saw one up for grabs around 9000rs

@musiclovr

Hi,
There are numerous pre-1970 vintage amplifiers are available here & there.
U can search vintage amplifiers on websites like olx & quikr available at your location. U inspect amp thoroughly before purchasing.
Ask abt its history, listen to it thoroughly in both channels seperately one by one. Ask for components changed. Look for all knobs weather original or not.
I hav just bias thinking on these vintage amplifiers as they are quite cheap wen available and sounds superb after a very cheap restortion.
Compared to modern amplifiers, you will get a very high quality audiophile sound at fraction of 20-30% new-amp cost.
These vintage pre-1970 amplifiers are having a mid-bass boost present in them wich is an added benefit & can be easily eliminated via tone controls.
If u can tell your location, budget & your music taste, i can help to find a good value for money amplifier available at your location.

Last edited:
Instead of going for amp go for bluray player of sony which comes with inbuilt amp. The processor is designed keeping in mind the musician who gave music to which ever CD or MP3. You can either go for 5.1 or go for 2.1 based on your budget.
An amplifier does no good if your player is not good. Adjusting the player and amplifier is very difficult. There is no perfect match for a stand alone amplifier.
Some player you will have to buy.
Better go for a player with built in amplifier, that way at least you can get good music and good sound if you want to enjoy DVDs or movies.

Instead of going for amp go for bluray player of sony which comes with inbuilt amp. The processor is designed keeping in mind the musician who gave music to which ever CD or MP3. You can either go for 5.1 or go for 2.1 based on your budget.
An amplifier does no good if your player is not good. Adjusting the player and amplifier is very difficult. There is no perfect match for a stand alone amplifier.
Some player you will have to buy.
Better go for a player with built in amplifier, that way at least you can get good music and good sound if you want to enjoy DVDs or movies.
But problem is sony is not in good books in terms of the audio quality atleast the budget ones. I am looking for something which can provide me better audio... I think sony's noise floor is quite high when coming to audio

@musiclovr

Hi,
There are numerous pre-1970 vintage amplifiers are available here & there.
U can search vintage amplifiers on websites like olx & quikr available at your location. U inspect amp thoroughly before purchasing.
Ask abt its history, listen to it thoroughly in both channels seperately one by one. Ask for components changed. Look for all knobs weather original or not.
I hav just bias thinking on these vintage amplifiers as they are quite cheap wen available and sounds superb after a very cheap restortion.
Compared to modern amplifiers, you will get a very high quality audiophile sound at fraction of 20-30% new-amp cost.
These vintage pre-1970 amplifiers are having a mid-bass boost present in them wich is an added benefit & can be easily eliminated via tone controls.
If u can tell your location, budget & your music taste, i can help to find a good value for money amplifier available at your location.
Thank u raj12345.. my location is near Alappuzha approx.50 km from kochi.. my budget is around 7k.. max 8k..

Another option try to build lm3886 variant amp. it will not disappoint you when compare to used vintage amps.

LM3886 is my main stay in my setup. I have compared this with sansui 517 and similar vintage amps.

Thanks
Badri M

In your budget you are likely to get a product thats very average. Avoid buying from dealers on olx etc, especially in Mumbai. They are all butchered. Nowadays people are asking crazy money for vintage items. Beware. Buy what u like. What u will get in ur budget is average. I bought a Sansui in the same budget as yours. It sounds like a amp that costs 8k. Cant and dont expect anything more.

Hi... Badrisuper and celester340
I do agree with your point to some extent but from what ever little knowledge i have from reading the forum posts i feel it is better to go for an integrated amp.the problem with diy amp is you need to have a decent preamp or a good dac before it
. i am currently eyeing a nad 304 @9k in olx..
What is confusing me is considering my speaker is only Kenwood make(but it sounds ok to my ears except that I feel it is a bit weak on the lower frequency range)is itbworthwhile waiting for a good amp and buid up my budget accordingly bcoz I won't be able to upgrade my speaker any soon..

Nad falls under little brighter side and you may happen to spend little more money for restoration.

You can check fully built class D amps as well.

What is your speaker model?

Thanks
Badri M

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back