Need advice on the theater layout setup

ashug987

I have a dedicated Home theatre of the size 13x22. See attached for the image and dimentions. The problem is that the door opens on the shorter side (33 width) and on the other shorter side there is a big 8 window. Now I have couple of choices.

1. Project on the side of the door and get max projection width of 99. The setup would be skewed toward one side of the room. The Cons is that the screen size is going to be very limited. I need to also go for behind the screen speakers, as I wouldnt have extra space for the speakers on the side of the screen.
  2. Abandon the window and install the dedicated screen on the other shorter side. This option is out, as we paying premium to get such big window and dont want to lose it.
  3. Install a motorized screen on top of the window and drop it when needed. I am hoping the speaker will still be an obstacle and I will not have the clear window access.
  4. Project on the lengthy side with short throw projector. I have shortlisted BenQ 1080ST+ for it. The only downside is that the viewing distance is going to be shorter.
All of these options have Pros and Cons. After considering all the Pros and Cons, I am thinking going with #4 with the short throw projector. I understand the viewing distance is going to be small, but hoping that it will probably be okay. I am expecting to have 150 diagonal screen.

I would really appreciate, if you guys suggest me the best setup based upon your experiences. I want to maximize the screen area for the theater like feeling. I will be powering up with 7.1 system.

Attachments

• HomeTheatre1.jpg
    HomeTheatre1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 73
  • HomeTheatre2.jpg
    HomeTheatre2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 71
  • HomeTheatre3.jpg
    HomeTheatre3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Whether you are going to project on the wall with he big window or not, its still advisable to block it off to avoid rattle and noise leakage.

If you are going to use it as a dedicated home theater then what would you do with a window.

You have an intermediate option of using thick curtains, if you are really keen on the window.

The other thing to consider (if you seal the room) is an airconditioner and as quiet one as possible.

Whether you are going to project on the wall with he big window or not, its still advisable to block it off to avoid rattle and noise leakage.

If you are going to use it as a dedicated home theater then what would you do with a window.

You have an intermediate option of using thick curtains, if you are really keen on the window.

The other thing to consider (if you seal the room) is an airconditioner and as quiet one as possible.

Thanks Sub98 for your prompt response on this. I am actually going to have the total blackout curtains on the window. Well its going to be dedicated HT, but occasional I wanted to use it for the get together as well (guess I shouldn't call it dedicated then).

B/w the AC is going to be okay, as we are going to have the central AC.

Does folks see a really big downside with the screen facing the long side which will provide only about 11' distance for the folks viewing it.

Better go for option #3, which will help you to convert it to a party/get together room when needed. Also, since you are planning for a 7.1 setup, utilize the length of the hall and never settle for the 11' viewing distance. Also option #1 will limit your screen size which will steal away the viewing pleasure in a long room.
Also I feel the room is long but narrow. If there is a possibility of installing the screen somewhere at 1/4th of the room length, that will give a better feel and an effective theater area of 16' x 11'.

Back