Need advice on upgrading my audio system

doors666

Hi,

I am new to this group and this my first mail. I live in Bangalore. I am looking to upgrade this setup. My upgrade budget currently is around 30K. I am ok with used or new equipment both.

Current setup

B&W 602 S2
Marantz CD 6000 OSE
Yamaha RXV 596
Denon 585 tape deck
Samsung dvd player

I am in the very initial stages of my research, and haven??t yet tried any of the items. I want to have a short list ready before I go auditioning.

I can think of the following possibilities for upgrade. Feel free to add more options. Please also tell me the prices (atleast the rough range) for any item you suggest.

1. Add a good sub to the current setup. Possibles ??

B&W AS 300 (30K) or the older AS 1000 used
Morduant Short, MS 309i (17K)
Wharfdale Diamond SW150 (18K)
Wharfdale Diamond SW250 (38K)
Polk DSW PRO 500/600 (20K)
Klipsch KSW-10 18K
Velvodyne - Which models?

2. Replace the receiver with a decent integrated amplifier.

Marantz PM 7001
Marantz PM 7200
Denon PMA 700 AE
I am sure there are a lot more options for this.

3. Get a decent used sub and replace the amp with another used decent integrated amp. Any suggestions

4. Replace both the receiver and speakers with integrated amps and get some good floor standers. Is this possible in this budget. Assuming I get another 20-30K by selling my amp and speakers, what are some of the good options for a integrated and 2 speakers, preferably floor standing for about 50-60 K

I like my cd player and most probably will not be replacing that.

I usually listen to classic rock, some heavy metal, guitar based jazz, blues, Indian classical etc, also watch movies both dvd and divx, will be happy with 2.1 setup for movies, cant afford a decent HT and my wife does not want too many speakers and cables all around the place, she??s already cribbing about the subwoofer.

As you can see that I am thoroughly confused, with a plethora of options. Please advice as to which scenario will give me the best possible sound.

Thanx

Keep everything and first improve your source, get a better CD Player, and see the difference. Yes a nice integrated amp will also do wonders. Always change one link in the entire chain, never more than that.

In your set up the only thing that i like is your cd player.

If you have to change only one thing then i feel it should be the amp.You can get a Marantz 7001/Nad 355/ CA 640. Try to audtion them & see what works for you.

If you can sell your amp & spk then next i feel should be the spks.

All the best.

Hi,

Hearty welcome to the forum and have nice time here !

I also agree with Neo here that the CDP is a very good one and no need to change that now !! the weakest link in the chain is the AVR and thats the one which has to go !!

Well I don't much believe in Reviews and stuff but for the folks who does here's the Review of the player !!

Marantz CD 6000 OSE

So please don't change the CDP !! just look for a Amp Upgrade for now ! both Amps from Marantz you have shortlisted is decent you should pick one based on the budget !! the denon model is an entry level model so I cannot consider it along the lines of PM 7001 for sure !! so I'd say skip it !!

Addition more brands is only going to confuse you even more so just a couple in the said budget (Which I believe is 30K,but who quoted 30K or under for Marantz I don't know ) !!!

1.NAD C372 or C355BEE (if budgeted )
2.CA 640A V2,740A and 840A V2 (approx 60K)

So do checkout the above options and see how these suit your taste !! coz finally its your ears which has to differentiate the sound and our suggestions can only point you to that direction !! its you who has to decide !

Regards.

Hi,

I am new to this group and this my first mail. I live in Bangalore. I am looking to upgrade this setup. My upgrade budget currently is around 30K. I am ok with used or new equipment both.

Current setup

B&W 602 S2
Marantz CD 6000 OSE
Yamaha RXV 596
Denon 585 tape deck
Samsung dvd player

I am in the very initial stages of my research, and haven??t yet tried any of the items. I want to have a short list ready before I go auditioning.

I can think of the following possibilities for upgrade. Feel free to add more options. Please also tell me the prices (atleast the rough range) for any item you suggest.

1. Add a good sub to the current setup. Possibles ??

B&W AS 300 (30K) or the older AS 1000 used
Morduant Short, MS 309i (17K)
Wharfdale Diamond SW150 (18K)
Wharfdale Diamond SW250 (38K)
Polk DSW PRO 500/600 (20K)
Klipsch KSW-10 18K
Velvodyne - Which models?

2. Replace the receiver with a decent integrated amplifier.

Marantz PM 7001
Marantz PM 7200
Denon PMA 700 AE
I am sure there are a lot more options for this.

3. Get a decent used sub and replace the amp with another used decent integrated amp. Any suggestions

4. Replace both the receiver and speakers with integrated amps and get some good floor standers. Is this possible in this budget. Assuming I get another 20-30K by selling my amp and speakers, what are some of the good options for a integrated and 2 speakers, preferably floor standing for about 50-60 K

I like my cd player and most probably will not be replacing that.

I usually listen to classic rock, some heavy metal, guitar based jazz, blues, Indian classical etc, also watch movies both dvd and divx, will be happy with 2.1 setup for movies, cant afford a decent HT and my wife does not want too many speakers and cables all around the place, she??s already cribbing about the subwoofer.

As you can see that I am thoroughly confused, with a plethora of options. Please advice as to which scenario will give me the best possible sound.

Thanx

Hi,
I would not add a sub to your existing set up. The old 602 s are pretty good in the bass for a stand mount. I also feel they are decent speakers.
Heard this cdp a long time ago and i remember liking it and i do not think its the weak link in your set up.
Changing the receiver is the best first upgrade you should attempt. Your budget plus the money u get for the receiver invested in a competent integrated + some decent cables should give best results.I have heard from my fellow audio freaks in bombay that the marantz integrateds are great value for money and very musical but i would suggest u audition them and a few others too before u take a final call.
Regards

Hi Guys,

I did check out some of the equipment mentioned by you guys over the weekend.

Amps:
Marantz 7001 - pretty decent amp.
denon PMA 700 - ok, but marantz is far superior.
Still havent found a dealer for CA or AA, NAD. Will check it out over this weekend.

Subs:
wharfdale 150 - not bad, but I would prefer something better.
Polk audio DSW PRO 500 (600 was not available) - decent, but saw better options.
klipsch subs 2 models costing MRP of 25k and 35k.
KEF sub PSW 2500
B&W 610
jamo 350

I liked the B&W and the KEF the best, I didnt feel that the sub is there until I make the volume 0, and then feel that there is a lot missing. Though the B&W was really small and made in china, the build quality looked pretty sad. For a 40K+ sub, it looked lame. what happened to the bigger models, none of the dealers had those.

Polk audio came second best. Just hated jamo subs. Klipsch made good sound, but it was always there, didnt merge well with the rest of the sound.

Will check out some more integrated amps over the coming weekend. Anyway my wife has already thrown a spanner into the works. She wants to upgrade the dining table instead of the audio system!!! Go figure.. The negotiations are still on..

In the mean time, I thought that I will atleast upgrade the speaker cables (currently using acoustic research 16 gauge cable, cheap one) and if possible the interconnects also.

Went through the forums and the web. Saw some pretty confusing information regarding the speaker cables. Seems like high end speaker cables are just a marketing gimmick and as long as the speaker cables are thick enough and RLC is low, its all good. There is no difference between 50 Rs/ft and 50,000 Rs/ft cables, in a blind test, no one can distinguish between these.
So what is the truth, have people heard differences between cables. Does it make sense to go for expensive cables. I was planning to go for some cables in the price range of around 500-700/ft. Doesnt sound like it makes any sense. Also saw the article on ultra cheap braided DIY cables made by soundsgreat. So what do I do, go for cheap 100-125/ft cables or better ones. My speakers are 8 ohms and distance is about 2 m between the speakers and amp.

Thanx

Hi,

Hmm !! the CA is with Audioplanet ! the showroom is right opposite to the TATA INDICOM office near PVR !! So you should check there !!

As with the difference in sound by chaning the cables,Well why don't you be the judge and findout first hand !!

If have noticed my open Invitation !! so you are welcome to drop in and see and decide for yourself !!

Hmm the WAF this is common factor among all the audio junkies !! Hope the negotiations end on the good note :D !!

Regards.

Hey! All the best with the WAF :D Persuade her to get good table mats ;)

For cables you def take sounds great advice.

I'm confused are you looking for a HT set up ar a Stereo?

Hey! All the best with the WAF :D Persuade her to get good table mats ;)

For cables you def take sounds great advice.

I'm confused are you looking for a HT set up ar a Stereo?

Well, I want to go for a good integrated amp, but till I can afford it, I guess my crappy receiver will have to do.
I do watch a lot of moves, but I dont mind watching them in 2.1, thats why I would prefer to have a sub also. It also adds to the music. But its primarily for movie purposes.

Hey! If you'r main intent is watching movies & want to add a sub. Pl look for a new revcevier rather than a intgrated amp. As the int amp is moslty designed for 2 channel music.

If you are interested in both 2-channel audio and HT, it's best not to mix the two - at least from a long term perspective. It's hard enough to optimise a system with just one goal in mind, let alone these two very divergent goals.

If you are interested in both 2-channel audio and HT, it's best not to mix the two - at least from a long term perspective. It's hard enough to optimise a system with just one goal in mind, let alone these two very divergent goals.

Yeah, that would be my ultimate goal, full HT system for movies and tube amp with good bookshelves for audio (maybe B&W 805S, loved those ones). But I guess I am good 5 -8 years away from that. Till then, whatever best I can manage....

At the moment you should be looking to change your receiver for a HT receiver, which is a bit musical. Of course if the home minister approves as the more imp agenda could be the dining table:D

ok guys,

Finally I was able to convince my wife to spend some money of the system, but it came with a rider. Upgrade the movies as she also watches, instead of music which she does not care much about. So I end up upgrading (or should I call it downgrading) from 2 channel to 5.1 channel. No more hopes of an integrated amp ever as I am going for center channels and rears.:(
Anyway, something is better than nothing. I guess in my next upgrade I will have to get a musical receiver. Damn...

So Here's the system now:
B&W 602 S2 for fronts
B&W LCR 600 S3 for center channel (purchased used from rohit, yet to receive it).
Yamaha RXV 596

Now I need to buy some rear speakers and this is where your help guys. My budget for rears is 20000. I will have to wait for a sub for another 6 months.

I am thinking of the following options.

B&W 303
B&W 600
B&W LM1 (she likes these)
B&W M1 - does anyone know if these are available as individual pieces or the whole 5.1 package needs to be bought.

Just saw that the B&W 309s are available in my budget on future bazaar. Anyone knows how are these floorstanders. If its a good idea to put these as my fronts and move the 602 as rears. Are these better than 602 S2 for music? Havent auditioned these yet. WAF will be quite low due to the size, she would prefer wall mounted rears and absolutely does not like floorstanders.

Any other brands/models that will suit my budget. Will other bands merge well with this setup or I should stick to B&W only

How are the good looking lifestyle kind of products for rears.

I also shortlisted the following ones, havent heard them yet. Its from the web and based on pricing etc.

Klipsch S2
18000, 2wy, 100w, 8ohms, 91db, 83-23khz

Klipsch RS10
15200, 2w, 200w pmpo?, 8, 91db, 83-23khz

Polk audio, Fxi3
19500, 2w, 150w, 8, 88db,

Polk Audio RTiA1 125W Bookshelf Speaker

polk audio atrium 45
14000, 2w, 80w, 89db

Polk Audio FXi A4
150 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bipole/Dipole Surrounds
Rs.19,500/pair

I would also cheap quality cables for rears. It should be colored, not the OFC colored ones, WAF is damn low and I would be asked to provide casing/piping if I go for the OFC looks. It should be white/cream color to match the wall colors. Cables should be real cheap but decent thickness, not more than 50 Rs/m

Thank you guys, you are a great help.

Doors,

Since you have already configured your fronts and centre with the 600 series, you should stick to the 600 series for your rears. See if you can get the 601 S2 for a good price. They will be ideal choice. If not maybe you should buy another pair of 602 S2s. This may screw your budget a little.

The 309 are very nice speakers. Their base is very good for their size. Though floor standing, they are actually very small speakers. But I dont think they will match the 600 series. The 603 S2 should be ideal for good music and front L&R tasks.

Mixing speakers from other brands with B&W will not be advisable. It is like taking an Rolls Royce and putting an Ambassador part in it. Sorry for the analogy, but this was the best I could think of.

Regarding speaker cables look for MX cables. I am not sure about the color, but you can get OFC cables with white jackets also.

Cheers

Doors,

Since you have already configured your fronts and centre with the 600 series, you should stick to the 600 series for your rears. See if you can get the 601 S2 for a good price. They will be ideal choice. If not maybe you should buy another pair of 602 S2s. This may screw your budget a little.

The 309 are very nice speakers. Their base is very good for their size. Though floor standing, they are actually very small speakers. But I dont think they will match the 600 series. The 603 S2 should be ideal for good music and front L&R tasks.

Mixing speakers from other brands with B&W will not be advisable. It is like taking an Rolls Royce and putting an Ambassador part in it. Sorry for the analogy, but this was the best I could think of.

Regarding speaker cables look for MX cables. I am not sure about the color, but you can get OFC cables with white jackets also.

Cheers

Hi venkat,

I tried yesterday the whole day, went to modern world, victor and reliance digital, all three carry B&W, but none of them have the old series, was looking for 600 or 601. The 68x starts from 34000 for the teensy 686. Completely out of my budget. Havent seen any used 6 series yet.

Even if I could afford the 686, I wouldnt want to spend 35k for such small speakers for the rears. In the same price, I could get good rears and sub from some other brand.

Dont want to put ambassador tires on a rolls, that why I wanted to know about either 303 or 309:)

Though I would not recommend the 309, I would certainly recommend the 303, IF you can get them. They have been one of B&W's best budget speakers ever. Actually if you locate a source, buy a pair for me also. I will send you a DD.

Cheers

Though I would not recommend the 309, I would certainly recommend the 303, IF you can get them. They have been one of B&W's best budget speakers ever. Actually if you locate a source, buy a pair for me also. I will send you a DD.

Cheers

available at future bazaar for approx 19k.

doors
i agree with venkat on going with b&w's for your rears. esp in this range, speakers come with their own characteristics and you dont want a clash of characters.

you could have a decent stereo set up from an ht system. its about the amp. imo yamaha doesnt do music well. if you can change that part, it'll make a lot of difference to stereo listening. try out the onkyo range instead

doors
i agree with venkat on going with b&w's for your rears. esp in this range, speakers come with their own characteristics and you dont want a clash of characters.

you could have a decent stereo set up from an ht system. its about the amp. imo yamaha doesnt do music well. if you can change that part, it'll make a lot of difference to stereo listening. try out the onkyo range instead

Once my HT setup is complete, I will next upgrade the receiver. Probably marantz. But it will take some time, probably 6 months to an year.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back