Need advice reg wharfedale 9.1 and existing amp

alexcp

Hi,
I have a Sony_MHC-RV22 system (SONY MHC-RV22 Review, SONY MHC-RV22 Price, India, SONY MHC-RV22 Accessories, This system Rocks!! - MouthShut.com) and its speakers. The only thing that works in this is the auxilary input/game input. I connect my ipod using a Y cable to this and then use it to listen to music. The problem with this system is that it is too bass heavy. (Note the only thing I know in music is bass and treble and mid frequency). This system has a equilizer and here I minimize the bass and put the mid freq to max and trble to normal. This sounds okay,but I feel that this is still bass heavy. I would like to have a neutral sounding system. I listen to all kinds of music except metal. After reading through a lot of posts I came to the conclusion that what I need is Wharfdale 9.1 speaker and Norge 2060 amplifier. My doubt is do I really need an amplifier. Wont the current one suffice as I guess the bass is mainly due to the speakers. Also this Sony system speakers are of 100w rms according to the manual. So if I just buy the wharfdale 9.1 speakers and connect it to my sony will this be a huge improvement. Note even without listening to the wharfdale speakers I have fallen in love with it by the reviews and recommendations I read of it here ! - Heard melodies are sweet but those unheard are sweeter :)

Hi,
I have a Sony_MHC-RV22 system (SONY MHC-RV22 Review, SONY MHC-RV22 Price, India, SONY MHC-RV22 Accessories, This system Rocks!! - MouthShut.com) and its speakers. The only thing that works in this is the auxilary input/game input. I connect my ipod using a Y cable to this and then use it to listen to music. The problem with this system is that it is too bass heavy. (Note the only thing I know in music is bass and treble and mid frequency). This system has a equilizer and here I minimize the bass and put the mid freq to max and trble to normal. This sounds okay,but I feel that this is still bass heavy. I would like to have a neutral sounding system. I listen to all kinds of music except metal. After reading through a lot of posts I came to the conclusion that what I need is Wharfdale 9.1 speaker and Norge 2060 amplifier. My doubt is do I really need an amplifier. Wont the current one suffice as I guess the bass is mainly due to the speakers. Also this Sony system speakers are of 100w rms according to the manual. So if I just buy the wharfdale 9.1 speakers and connect it to my sony will this be a huge improvement. Note even without listening to the wharfdale speakers I have fallen in love with it by the reviews and recommendations I read of it here ! - Heard melodies are sweet but those unheard are sweeter :)

Alex you got to listen to the wharfedale and take the call goto Vector systems near brigade rd and listen to them both the 9.1 & 10.1.

How I see it your sony speakers have amp built in and are powered speakers where as the wharfedales are Passive speakers which needs an amp to drive them.

I would advice you to partner the Wharfs with Marantz amp if budget permits.

Hi,
.... So if I just buy the wharfdale 9.1 speakers and connect it to my sony will this be a huge improvement. Note even without listening to the wharfdale speakers I have fallen in love with it by the reviews and recommendations I read of it here ! - Heard melodies are sweet but those unheard are sweeter :)

Hi Couple things to keep in mind. The Sony is the weakest link. So connecting Wharfs to them will not give you that great a benefit. To get a half decent sound, you will need a good AVR or better yet an integrated amp (for music only) as well. Depending on your budget options can be provided.

Alex you got to listen to the wharfedale and take the call goto Vector systems near brigade rd and listen to them both the 9.1 & 10.1.

How I see it your sony speakers have amp built in and are powered speakers where as the wharfedales are Passive speakers which needs an amp to drive them.

I would advice you to partner the Wharfs with Marantz amp if budget permits.

Thanks for the store suggestion. The sony speakers that I have are passive speakers and not powered ones

Hi Couple things to keep in mind. The Sony is the weakest link. So connecting Wharfs to them will not give you that great a benefit. To get a half decent sound, you will need a good AVR or better yet an integrated amp (for music only) as well. Depending on your budget options can be provided.

Thanks. So you are saying that the sony aplifiier is the weakest link. Okay then i guess I have to buy a amp first.Yes I have a budget restriction of about 20 k. I know that this is too less in this forum. Hence that is why I thought of Norge 2060 as the amp . From what I have read it has to be couriered from Mumbai as it is not available in bangalore

Thanks. So you are saying that the sony aplifiier is the weakest link. Okay then i guess I have to buy a amp first.Yes I have a budget restriction of about 20 k. I know that this is too less in this forum. Hence that is why I thought of Norge 2060 as the amp . From what I have read it has to be couriered from Mumbai as it is not available in bangalore

have not heard the norge amp if you can stretch your budget to 25k you can very well have a Marantz amp(PM5003) with Wharfedale 9.1

Or if you want a powered speaker with amp built in you can check out Audio Engine A5 for 19k(Audio Engine is available with ARN Frazer Town or through Bajaao.com)

Either way you do audition the wharf with marantz and then take a call.

have not heard the norge amp if you can stretch your budget to 25k you can very well have a Marantz amp(PM5003) with Wharfedale 9.1

Or if you want a powered speaker with amp built in you can check out Audio Engine A5 for 19k(Audio Engine is available with ARN Frazer Town or through Bajaao.com)

Either way you do audition the wharf with marantz and then take a call.

Hi, Does the Marantz amp PM5003 costs around 25 k ? The Norge 1000 I suppose retails around 10k right ? My budget is limited to 20 k for both speakers and amplifier combined. Hence if Marantz is way off 10k then it will be out of my budget.Also though I have cd's I usually listen using Ipod. For CD's that I have it is in lossless format, for the rest it is mp3. Do you think that it will still be a good enhancement from my current setup if I go to the new amp (Norge 1000 or Marantx) and Wharfdale 9.1 speakers.

Ideally there has to an improvement as you shift from the Sony combo to an integrated amp + speaker combo. I am sure you Sony speakers dont even have a proper xover in it.
Secondly it will depend on what source you use and how you place the system. If you read some threads on the forum speaker placement plays an important part.
If you dont have enough budget as of now, I would suggest buy the speakers you desire and pair it with your sony as of now and place the speakers properly. For source try to use the sony cdp. Later on you can upgrade to a better integrated amp

HI ALEX,
Try going the pre owned route for amps.
Since u are from bglore try reaching a guy called Ramesh (hifipal4all) on our forum and check what he can offer u.
Int amp + speakers will definately satisfy u more than the Sony that u have.
Rgds

Dear Rik,
Go ahead and connect wharf dmnd 9.1 to your sony if the out put is 100rms or above @ 6 ohms. You will love these units far better than sony speakers. Mind it, wharf units are bit less sensitive in the range of 86db and hence need rms beyond the rating to be comfortable as compared to 90db rated units. Check ur sony manual for ratings and go for it.

Dear Rik,
Go ahead and connect wharf dmnd 9.1 to your sony if the out put is 100rms or above @ 6 ohms. You will love these units far better than sony speakers. Mind it, wharf units are bit less sensitive in the range of 86db and hence need rms beyond the rating to be comfortable as compared to 90db rated units. Check ur sony manual for ratings and go for it.

Thanks, I have planned to go for the wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers . Other than Vector systems could someone in the forum direct me to a good reputed place in Bangalore to buy this speakers from.

Back