Need advise on what to buy

matpip

Hi All,
I am new to this site. Was planning to buy a home theatre. My budget is 1.5 L ~ 2 Lacs.
I was looking at B&W 683 (pair of floor standers) and then saw the Wharfedale Evo 5.1. The amp is Maranz 6005. I have listened to B&W but did not get a chance to listen to Wharfedale. But from a cost perspective that looks attractive. any suggestions will be very helpful to decide.
Cheers,

if you go for the b&w's i doubt you will finish within budget for the surround sound. first off what do you want to use it for. mainly movies or music. whats your room size

With the B&W 683 or for that matter any of the B&W products.
The buck does not end with speakers.

Since you mentioned surround sound. I guess you are looking for a HT system as opposed to Stereo only.

If you really want these speakers to shine
You have to be prepared to dish out quite a lot for Amplification.
You cant really get away with a Denon / Marantz/ Onkyo mid segment AVR.

They need power and in the B&W 600 stable the 683 would be the most demanding of the lot.
To drive them well you would need to add power amps into the mix ( Rotel / Classe / Sunfire / Arcam etc) atleast for the fronts.

WIth the 685 bookshelves. I have spent over 70k on amplification alone not factoring CDP's / DAC's Interconnects etc. So talking through experience.

If I had the 683. I would be looking at a 2 lakh + budget for amplification alone.

However the end result when mated with proper ancillaries would be pretty close to breathtaking.

If you are up to it and willing to dedicate a large sum of money. The B&W's are for you.

Getting down to Wharfedale . The Evo's are pretty decent . However the Jade series shine from the Wharf stable.
As with most quality floorstanders be prepared to put a sizable amount of money in amplification to drive them.

Audition speakers from
Dali,
PSN.
Monitor Audio etc
before taking a call

Cheers..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back