Need expert advice on a 7.1 CH HT system.

I've noticed that the AVR gets pretty warm after about an hour of being switched on. You could almost get your hands scalded if you touch the top right corner of the reciever.

I spoke to the dealer and he confirmed that it does happen and there is nothing to worry about.

Anybody experienced this?

Thanks,

I've noticed that the AVR gets pretty warm after about an hour of being switched on. You could almost get your hands scalded if you touch the top right corner of the reciever.

I spoke to the dealer and he confirmed that it does happen and there is nothing to worry about.

Anybody experienced this?

Thanks,

My Onkyo AVR does get very hot with extended usage. Give it proper ventilation and turn on the fan or the A/C and it will be fine. Most AVRs will get hot with extended usage.

Ok...so auditioned the following combo last weekend:

AVR: Onkyo TX SR575
Sub: Jamo Sub 300
Surround/fronts: Elac Cinema 1 Sats
Center: Elac CENTER 1 CM

I liked what I heard...played several of my favourite CDs and DVDs...(the rest of the family approved too), so went ahead and bought it...installed it and am enjoying every minute of it.

I did check out the bookshelves (Elacs, B&W and Polk). It did sound better, but i did not find that much of a difference to justify the cost difference between the Cinema Sats and the bookshelves...so voted against them. The Sats are doing a great job!

Thanks to everyone here... venkatcr, hifipal4all, subash, moserw ...your advice helped me very much.

Will post ownership experience in a few days.....

cheers.

Would be great if you let us know the price of these?

Thanks,
Prakash.

hi, yes they do gey very hot, my previous AVR were the 575, and later 787 they all get hot ,but my new AVR 875 really gets hot (as close to a iron box) but tht is normal according to the onkyo manager mr lokesh and also there is a sticker on the side panel which says so ,so i dont thnk its a thing to worry abt,,,,,subhash

hi, yes they do gey very hot, my previous AVR were the 575, and later 787 they all get hot ,but my new AVR 875 really gets hot (as close to a iron box) but tht is normal according to the onkyo manager mr lokesh and also there is a sticker on the side panel which says so ,so i dont thnk its a thing to worry abt,,,,,subhash

:confused:

I really don't know. I was always told/taught that HEAT is a BAD thing in most situations in Electronics.

All amplifiers generate heat. Almost all amplifiers have what are called heat sinks (aluminum grills) that are used to dissipate the heat. Heat is not bad for the system. Excessive heat is.

New Onkyo models have a amplifier technology called Push-Pull. This supposed to generate more heat, but that has been taken that into account. I am assuming you guys are all using A/c for your Music / HT rooms. In any case I would recommend not to use the system for more than 3 or 4 hours without a cooling period of about an hour.

Please read the following thread also where I have mentioned some external equipment for additional cooling.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...nkyo-tx-sr505-onkyo-tx-sr506-differences.html

Cheers

Would be great if you let us know the price of these?

Thanks,
Prakash.

I got the set-up as a package for Rs. 60,000. without the Elac center speaker. Could not find the center speaker in Bangalore...enquired around... even with the Onkyo dealer in Jayamahal.

So when I found the Center speaker at Fry's Electronics at Sunnyvale, CA, I picked it up for about $75.

Contact Mr. Hussain
Modern World
13 & 14 Service Road, Airport Road
Domlur, Bangalore.
Ph: (080) 25358192 , 25359406

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Was wondering how important is speaker levels adjustment in the amp. I tried the Audyssey EQ setup but was not really satisfied with the output. I tried its settings for the 3 different positions/room zones, but it still did not impress.

So went in for manual adjustment as below:

• Left/Right : +5db, distance 16 ft
  • Center: +4db (initially set it to +5db, but then the voices/speech was too loud...tried different DVDs/movies) distance 15 ft
  • Left/right Surround: +3db distance 8 ft
  • Subwoofer: +10db (I have turned up the subwoofer onboard volume control to 1 o'clock position). distance 15 ft

I usually turn down the subwoofer level to +7db for movies, but for music on stereo mode...its always +10db

This sounds very good, (listening area is around 16ft by 18ft) but wanted to know if there are any rules/best practices for speaker level setting and any additional settings that can enhance this even further? The user manual does not have much nor did some googling yield anything!

Thanks.,

I initially followed the demo room settings, but now have everything set to 0. I have really noticed a difference for the better after taking a measuring tape and inputting the correct distances. Sound now comes from all directions like in a theater environment.

I am assuming you guys are all using A/c for your Music / HT rooms.

FYI, one of my HT is not in an AC room and it runs fine. Onkyo's are notorious for heat dissipation when compared to Denon or Yamaha. The latter tendsto get warm but not hot. Its funny that the Onkyo 806 temp was hotter than the Emotiva XPA-5 (200watts/ch) power amplifier!!

In any case I would recommend not to use the system for more than 3 or 4 hours without a cooling period of about an hour.

I would also add to this and the link from Venkat to invest in 2 PC fans (the silent kind) and install them to push the heat out. Its a very nice DIY project and will help a long way in keeping things cooler. YOu can get these off of computer repair stores for dead cheap. Make sure its a quality one.

Ok...so auditioned the following combo last weekend:

AVR: Onkyo TX SR575
Sub: Jamo Sub 300
Surround/fronts: Elac Cinema 1 Sats
Center: Elac CENTER 1 CM

Hi
Can you please share how much did the Elac center speaker cost ?
Thanks
Ashok

hi ,was thinking of picking up the Panasonic DMP-BD35, for 26k ,or sony S350 for 25k ---------both are reasonably good, but is it advisable to pick up a BR Player now as the titles are very few and most of the available titles in the stores and library are old?? and is the price tag ok?

hi ,was thinking of picking up the Panasonic DMP-BD35, for 26k ,or sony S350 for 25k ---------both are reasonably good, but is it advisable to pick up a BR Player now as the titles are very few and most of the available titles in the stores and library are old?? and is the price tag ok?

For making good conversations yes, but if you want to experience BR to its full extent. I would wait as the entry costs are quite expensive with BR. Also the titles are limited as you have noted. I have read rave about upscaling features of these players but you have cheaper and equally good alternatives like the Oppo.

I've heard and read that Blue Rays are not going to last long, given the costs of ownership (and titles may be very few, now and in the future due to the costs of creating the source).

One resource that makes good reading is here:
Is Blu-ray Worth Buying? - by Digital Trends

...If you would either way want to go in for it, I would go by marsilians opinion - wait and watch a while...before putting in those few thousand bucks.

All new products, when released, are expensive and there is resistance in the minds of people to move. Take the case of cassettes vs tapes, CDs vs LPs, DVD vs VHS, DVD vs Laser Discs, 3.5 inch floppy vs 8 inch, MS Word vs Wordstar, Excel vs Lotus 123, mobiles vs pagers.... the list is endless.

The situation is even worse today given the recession we are living in. If not, the discussion in all these magazines (online and offline) would have be different. These same authors would have been encouraging everyone to throw out the DVD Player and HR Ready TVs, and berating you for using such 'aged' equipment.

I agree it makes sense to wait for sometime for prices to fall before you buy a BD player. But there is no doubt in my mind that a BD Player and BR Discs will become as common as DVDs are today.

When? That is a beeeeeeg question.

Believe me, 5 or 6 years from now, you will see DVDs in the flea shops around the country as you see records today. BTW, I wonder what happened to all those millions of VHS tapes in the country. Where are they all?

Whatever recession we have had in the last 50 odd years, the growth and movement of technology has never been hampered.

Cheers

All new products, when released, are expensive and there is resistance in the minds of people to move. Take the case of cassettes vs tapes, CDs vs LPs, DVD vs VHS, DVD vs Laser Discs, 3.5 inch floppy vs 8 inch, MS Word vs Wordstar, Excel vs Lotus 123, mobiles vs pagers.... the list is endless.

The situation is even worse today given the recession we are living in. If not, the discussion in all these magazines (online and offline) would have be different. These same authors would have been encouraging everyone to throw out the DVD Player and HR Ready TVs, and berating you for using such 'aged' equipment.

I agree it makes sense to wait for sometime for prices to fall before you buy a BD player. But there is no doubt in my mind that a BD Player and BR Discs will become as common as DVDs are today.

When? That is a beeeeeeg question.

Believe me, 5 or 6 years from now, you will see DVDs in the flea shops around the country as you see records today. BTW, I wonder what happened to all those millions of VHS tapes in the country. Where are they all?

Whatever recession we have had in the last 50 odd years, the growth and movement of technology has never been hampered.

Cheers

hi,venkat thats a good one ,i totally agree with you ,why wait for 5 yrs now a days i see dvds sold on the streets,(pirated of course and of poor quality) but still it has hit the streets already

hi, am going to postpone buying the PANA BD35 for a while ,for 2 reasons ,one is limited titles in the library and not worth buying the discs as most of the movies donot have repeat values, and also the BD35 is out of stock

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back