Need genuine advice on buying Philips 40pfl5059 led tv

Hi sdhameshia/sanchits,

Please suggest me on this product.
40PHL5059

i went to showroom and stunned after seeing PQ of sony. But those are way too costly 60+ K.

do you suggest me to buy this product. ?
and another question. I was checking the price of this product in showrooms. same product costs 45k.

How flipkart and snapdeal is giving for 30k ? this is making me to think that "am I getting some local or second hand product or the one which has issues".

as of other reviews, i found that sound is not good. But i think i can manage with that. i can buy a home theater or an amplifier.

My requirement is 40 inch led tv with best quality.

some of my friends are saying that philips was good in crt tv,home appliances like grooming kit/lighting bulbs etc.
but sony, samsung, lg are best in LED. Is it so ?

you have any facts why you preferred philips.

also, i like that philips giving 3 yrs warranty.

Hi sdhameshia/sanchits,

Please suggest me on this product.
40PHL5059

i went to showroom and stunned after seeing PQ of sony. But those are way too costly 60+ K.

do you suggest me to buy this product. ?
and another question. I was checking the price of this product in showrooms. same product costs 45k.

How flipkart and snapdeal is giving for 30k ? this is making me to think that "am I getting some local or second hand product or the one which has issues".

as of other reviews, i found that sound is not good. But i think i can manage with that. i can buy a home theater or an amplifier.

My requirement is 40 inch led tv with best quality.

some of my friends are saying that philips was good in crt tv,home appliances like grooming kit/lighting bulbs etc.
but sony, samsung, lg are best in LED. Is it so ?

you have any facts why you preferred philips.

also, i like that philips giving 3 yrs warranty.

Hi, would suggest u to pls go through my posts, starting from the first in this thread, u'll get most of the answers ur looking for.
How is this TV n why Philips n price etc... Everything's there.

Lastly, would advice you to go and have a look at this TV in the showrooms.. Take a demo n see for yourself.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. Good to know the interest you shown on Philips TV which made me to think of Philips. Only Philips giving 3yrs warranty where as other brands stick to 1 yr warranty which also shows the reliability of Philips TV.

Last edited:
Hi Sanchits,

I read your posts. But you have given your comments in too much technical term and i dont understand much :(

What if I don't find sweet spot after tweaking it ?

These lines from ur posts are making me to think a bit.

Though the reds n shades of reds are still quite pronounced even after tweaking.

But yes, for the money I think its a decent buy.

You did not say it is the best buy :(

a soap opera effect ,
there is a bit of ghosting in SD video
I think I'll get used to the popping reds with time, overall I am satisfied with the PQ.

What is red poppings ? Still you get such marks ?

doesn't have a great viewing angle -> should i bother abt this? how will this affect a normal user.

How is the performance of the TV now ?

In my area, i did not find this tv in local showrooms.
I live in chennai.

Hi Sanchits,

I read your posts. But you have given your comments in too much technical term and i dont understand much :(

What if I don't find sweet spot after tweaking it ?

These lines from ur posts are making me to think a bit.

Though the reds n shades of reds are still quite pronounced even after tweaking.

But yes, for the money I think its a decent buy.

You did not say it is the best buy :(

a soap opera effect ,
there is a bit of ghosting in SD video
I think I'll get used to the popping reds with time, overall I am satisfied with the PQ.

What is red poppings ? Still you get such marks ?

doesn't have a great viewing angle -> should i bother abt this? how will this affect a normal user.

How is the performance of the TV now ?

In my area, i did not find this tv in local showrooms.
I live in chennai.

Well...I think I wasn't technical in my observations at all. Anyways, I'll again post my observations for you as now its been few week since ive been using it.

Firstly, for the price I paid of 30.5k for a 40" its a great buy but since I have not compared to other vfm offerings in the similar price bracket, I can't say if its the best or not.

The reds n shades of reds even after all the calibration are a little to bright in some channels, but I have got used to it now. Now u may or may not be able to spot this...but I can.
The blacks are very deep but sometimes depending on the source or channel they hide the details.
Now that above observation Is only on SD channels and HD as usual is as good as it gets.
But still overall I am very much satisfied now and since I have not compared SD channels PQ with other known brands like Sony or samsung can't say are they any better then my Philips or are they that much better and worth the 30-40% extra premium.

Regarding ghosting/ smearing it depends on the source or channel...most of the channels its hardly there n HD source its nil.
I have a Sony lcd in other room, n compared to that this is hardly there. I think initially I saw smearing due to the vivid factory settings and noise reduction etc was on.

I also feel LEDs need a break in period and after watching for few hrs/days it gets better.

Regarding viewing angles, they are OK till the time u r sitting right in front of the TV, like how its in a standard room. But viewing form side the image becomes washed out. So u would have to figure out this, its not an issue for me though.

Rest its your call, I also couldn't demo this unit as its not available anywhere in retail stores.
I went through the user reviews posted don't flipkart n snapdeal n also went with my gut feeling.
Anyways, for 30k I was either getting videocon, micromax, vu etc...n here I have a Philips 40" nbeing a Philips LCD user already n an extremely satisfied customer I went for it.

Hi sanchits,

I have the same model as well & I'm unable to find 1:1 pixel mapping feature; as I have WDTV Live the picture is slightly cut on both sides as it is slightly overscanned in the TV itself but there is no option to turn it off. Since you have connected a PS3 you too should face the same issue; have you found the option to disable it.

Hi sanchits,

I have the same model as well & I'm unable to find 1:1 pixel mapping feature; as I have WDTV Live the picture is slightly cut on both sides as it is slightly overscanned in the TV itself but there is no option to turn it off. Since you have connected a PS3 you too should face the same issue; have you found the option to disable it.

I too observed the said issue, not finding any settings for it :sad:

Hi sanchits,

I don't know this but my ps3 doesn't have any such display issue. I connect me android tab via HDMI and there is ovesran adjustment from the tab itself...so I just adjust it n it beckems perfect.
I don't think the TV has any such pixel mapping feature. Check if the wdtv has overscan compensations feature.

Guys,

am planning to buy a Home Theater system. are you guys using any with this TV? I donno about connections options on this TV(Audio out).

Guys,

am planning to buy a Home Theater system. are you guys using any with this TV? I donno about connections options on this TV(Audio out).

Yip, I using a onkyo HT with this TV. It has an rca left/right audio out...That's it. It doesn't have any digital our 3.5mm audio out.
For rest... I pass thru the onkyo amp via hdmi so it doesn't really matter.

Hey Guys,

After reading this forum and reviews bought tv yesterday. Everything seems fine for me except the remote. I need to hold the remote by pointing to particular direction to work. Is this same for you all? Please advice.

Last edited:
BTW I sold my 40PFL5059 few days back going for VU 55".
Fellow users can access the factory settings menu by pressing the home key followed by 2580 in quick succession, which might be helpful in tweaking the PQ a little bit also for getting 1:1 pixel mapping

Fellow users can access the factory settings menu by pressing the home key followed by 2580 in quick succession, which might be helpful in tweaking the PQ a little bit also for getting 1:1 pixel mapping

Thanks a ton . this is exactly what I needed. I has rgb gain settings as we'll as overscan settings.
I think I might be able adjust the reds n blacks maybe from here n improve the PQ.

Btw, why did u sell the Philips ?

I had a 32" earlier & moving to 40" didn't make much difference to me. I used it for 6 months & never faced any issue (I'm using APC 850VA inverter); but the recent price drop of VU TVs lured me in :yahoo:

Has anyone seen the "Banding", backlight uniformity problems on philips large screen tvs especially 40pfl5059? This can be seen if you view a plain white or gray photo in your TV (or a natural scenary with blue, gray or white clouds/sky).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1456452-normal-bad-vertical-banding.html

The 40pfl5059 tv i have seen has both vertical and horizontal bands.
It seems like it is a common problem with edge-lit led tvs.
in showrooms, i noticed very little banding in tvs that costs more than 40k (jun 2015), but a lot better than 40pfl5059.

Yes, that's a good decision indeed. Enjoy the superior picture quality with great black and contrast level and ofcourse bigger picture by spending lesser amount.
Cheers. :clapping::clapping:

Thanks a ton . this is exactly what I needed. I has rgb gain settings as we'll as overscan settings.
I think I might be able adjust the reds n blacks maybe from here n improve the PQ.

Btw, why did u sell the Philips ?

I looked into the settings but couldn't understand any. did you make any changes with it? Can I have your settings again please? 1:1 pixel mapping is also am keen to make. when I connect my laptop I cannot see it fully on sides.

Has anyone seen the "Banding", backlight uniformity problems on philips large screen tvs especially 40pfl5059? This can be seen if you view a plain white or gray photo in your TV (or a natural scenary with blue, gray or white clouds/sky).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1456452-normal-bad-vertical-banding.html

The 40pfl5059 tv i have seen has both vertical and horizontal bands.
It seems like it is a common problem with edge-lit led tvs.
in showrooms, i noticed very little banding in tvs that costs more than 40k (jun 2015), but a lot better than 40pfl5059.

yes, am seeing this issue on this model, mainly on left and right side, and all corners. clearly noticeable when your see a football or cricket match, or a moving scene with similar background. mine is still in a warranty, any idea if they can solve this?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back