Need guidance For setting Up 7.1 Setup

docforestgump

My 7 year oldonkyo 5.1 avr stopped working and anyways I was contemplating to upgrade to 7.1 ,so need expert opinions from forum members.
My room is 17x 13 with viewing distance of 9 feet.
Intended use 50% movies ,only OTT content
50% music - YouTube,streaming apps and Bluetooth
There's acute shortage of AVRs since I started to look out of for them since 4 months.
AVRs considered - Yamaha rx V6A,Denon 2700.Yamaha is out of stock.Getting a quote of 75000 for denon.
Also considering Yamaha aventage a4a ,which is quoted at 95k.
My original budgets for avr was around 60k but due to non availability ,can increase it around 75-80k
Should I wait for Yamaha rx V6A ?I have heard that Yamaha's are better for music.
Biggest chalange for me is choosing speakers as I have not heard any of top brands and since I am from a tier 3 city,don't have access to demo setups,so have to relie on reviews,opionions.And I used an entry level onkyo HTIB ,so it will be a significant upgrade for me
Budget for speaker setup is around 2 lakh.
Will prefer floorstanders.
Speakers which I am considering are-
Q acaustics 3050
Indiq audio platinum anchal
Paradigm monitor se 6000
These are based purely on some recommendations and reviews
I am open to any better alternatives in my price range.
Would be happy to listen to experts from the forum.

Last edited:
My 7 year oldonkyo 5.1 avr stopped working and anyways I was contemplating to upgrade to 7.1 ,so need expert opinions from forum members.
There's acute shortage of AVRs since I started to look out of for them since 4 months.
AVRs considered - Yamaha rx V6A,Denon 2700.Yamaha is out of stock.Getting a quote of 75000 for denon.
My original budgets for avr was around 60k but due to non availability ,can increase it around 75-80k
Should I wait for Yamaha rx V6A ?I have heard that Yamaha's are better for music.
Biggest chalange for me is choosing speakers as I have not heard any of top brands and since I am from a tier 3 city,don't have access to demo setups,so have to relie on reviews,opionions.And I used an entry level onkyo HTIB ,so it will be a significant upgrade for me
Q acaustics 3050
Paradigm monitor se 6000
Where you completely satisfied with your onkyo set up or you are expecting something more in the new set up? If you where satisfied with dynamics with the onkyo set up then you can look at avr’s that doesn’t have pre-outs. But if you are expecting more dynamics it’s better to invest in an avr that comes with pre-outs. Good choice with the Yamaha as I find their entry and mid level atmos receivers priced better then Denon and marantz. Also they come with pre-outs for the LR alone.2L for 7 speakers alone or does this involve a subwoofer as well? Information on layout of your room and if it is a dedicated room will be helpful for others to guide you better.

Where you completely satisfied with your onkyo set up or you are expecting something more in the new set up? If you where satisfied with dynamics with the onkyo set up then you can look at avr’s that doesn’t have pre-outs. But if you are expecting more dynamics it’s better to invest in an avr that comes with pre-outs. Good choice with the Yamaha as I find their entry and mid level atmos receivers priced better then Denon and marantz. Also they come with pre-outs for the LR alone.2L for 7 speakers alone or does this involve a subwoofer as well? Information on layout of your room and if it is a dedicated room will be helpful for others to guide you better
Mine was a simple entry level HTIB with passive subwoofer and satellite speakers and I have not heard any of the speakers I have mentioned.I was kind of satisfied for music with my setup but not so with movies .
My room is a living room and not a dedicated HT room with TV placed in a way that viewing distance is around 9 feet and I have to setup it accordingly.
My budget is 2 lakhs for LCR and Subwoofer with Atmos in ceiling speakers as I intend to use existing onkyo speakers for surround for the time being.

Please audition the speakers. You will never know what you want unless you audition.

Try to take some time out to visit Mumbai or Pune. Do call them before you go. Also request the FMs from Mumbai and Pune to consider giving you an audition at their place.

Remember, it is an investment. I suggest you not to blindly buy speakers. Also keep the budget flexible and do not divulge it to the dealers. Just tell your budget is flexible.

Audition is imperative. We can suggest you to go blindly with any of the speakers in your list. But will you like their sound? We don't know. And you don't know, too.

QA 3050s are impressive speakers. I have heard them. Since you have a decent budget, do take some time to audition.

Slowly and steadily build a kick-ass system. And AVRs, well Marantz and Yamaha do a great job with music.

Frankly, above a price range, any avr will sound great for both scenarios.

And the room plays an important role, too.

Spend some time here. Take it slow.

All the best :)

Mine was a simple entry level HTIB with passive subwoofer and satellite speakers and I have not heard any of the speakers I have mentioned.I was kind of satisfied for music with my setup but not so with movies .
My room is a living room and not a dedicated HT room with TV placed in a way that viewing distance is around 9 feet and I have to setup it accordingly.
My budget is 2 lakhs for LCR and Subwoofer with Atmos in ceiling speakers as I intend to use existing onkyo speakers for surround for the time being.
Ok what speakers and subwoofers you can audition at your locality?

None,don't have any store at my place selling AVRs and speakers upwards of even 15k
Ok in that case your best bet is to go by reviews and members feedback. Subwoofer I am assuming you have a budget of 60-70k? If you can extend your budget by 10-15k I can think of 2 subs that will fit well for your room and usage. RELHT1205 or the Rythmik LV12F. Ideal would be a subwoofer that is rated 500 watts RMS. Your choice with q acoustics and paradigm is good. Speakers I have used Dali and currently using xtz. Both are very good and is within your budget which you can consider as well.

Q acaustics 3050
Paradigm monitor se 6000
Dear Doc,
The RX V6A has been getting rave reviews, but since you are looking for 7.1, might want to check out a few points:
1. It has, if i am not wrong, only two pre-outs, and
2. It supports 6-ohm speakers only in the left and right channels. (This becomes important since you are in the market for a good pair of floorstanders for your 50% music requirements)

Once you have decided your AVR, you'd also want to consider whether you want a dedicated Centre for your L-R towers, as most matching centres are damn expensive, far as I know.

Among the three you have mentioned, I have listened to the QA 3050s and the Paradigms.
Absolutely loved the 3050s. If you wanna add some music duties, check out the Concept 40s too from the same brand. Their center is reasonably priced.

The SE6000 is also a damn good pair for their price from my listening experience. The Paradigm centre too is economically priced.

From my auditions, can suggest the following others within your budget:
1. Klipsch RP-5000F and matching centre
2. Martin Logan Motion 20i, with matching centre.
3. Emotiva T1+ towers with the C1+ centre (among the best centres around there; despite Emotiva's India importer bumping up prices of late)
4. Dali Oberon 7s with centre (but for your room size, would have recommended the 5s too)
5. PSB Alpha T20 with centre (Superb value for money set; doubt anything can beat them for their price, even the emotivas unless you take a shining for folded motions tweeters)
6. Revel F35 with matching centre (Among the best set money can buy within your budget)
7. KEF entry level towers + centre (falls within your budget, but they have not been available of late for demos)
8. Focal Chora 716 with centre (ditto as above)

Side and rear surrounds would be doable, but for the above options at an additional cost of between 30K-80K.
Subwoofer will also have to be separate cost.

Having said all the above, would suggest you keep a day aside for auditions in Pune and Mumbai, as other FMs have suggested.
Happy to help with contacts any time.

Regards

PS: If circumstances allow, would strongly suggest .4 cheap atmos speakers as most streaming services are equipped for effects output too.

Dear Doc,
The RX V6A has been getting rave reviews, but since you are looking for 7.1, might want to check out a few points:
1. It has, if i am not wrong, only two pre-outs, and
2. It supports 6-ohm speakers only in the left and right channels. (This becomes important since you are in the market for a good pair of floorstanders for your 50% music requirements)

Once you have decided your AVR, you'd also want to consider whether you want a dedicated Centre for your L-R towers, as most matching centres are damn expensive, far as I know.

Among the three you have mentioned, I have listened to the QA 3050s and the Paradigms.
Absolutely loved the 3050s. If you wanna add some music duties, check out the Concept 40s too from the same brand. Their center is reasonably priced.

The SE6000 is also a damn good pair for their price from my listening experience. The Paradigm centre too is economically priced.

From my auditions, can suggest the following others within your budget:
1. Klipsch RP-5000F and matching centre
2. Martin Logan Motion 20i, with matching centre.
3. Emotiva T1+ towers with the C1+ centre (among the best centres around there; despite Emotiva's India importer bumping up prices of late)
4. Dali Oberon 7s with centre (but for your room size, would have recommended the 5s too)
5. PSB Alpha T20 with centre (Superb value for money set; doubt anything can beat them for their price, even the emotivas unless you take a shining for folded motions tweeters)
6. Revel F35 with matching centre (Among the best set money can buy within your budget)
7. KEF entry level towers + centre (falls within your budget, but they have not been available of late for demos)
8. Focal Chora 716 with centre (ditto as above)

Side and rear surrounds would be doable, but for the above options at an additional cost of between 30K-80K.
Subwoofer will also have to be separate cost.

Having said all the above, would suggest you keep a day aside for auditions in Pune and Mumbai, as other FMs have suggested.
Happy to help with contacts any time.

Regards

PS: If circumstances allow, would strongly suggest .4 cheap atmos speakers as most streaming services are equipped for effects output too.
Hey,Thanks buddy . Appreciate your detailed response.
Would love to audition mentioned speakers in Pune if time permits.If you have any contact nos for pune,please let me know .I only knows AV store in Pune .
My living room has false ceiling,so let's see how the Atmos setup can be done.I already have concealed wire setup,but it's for 5.1 .

Ok in that case your best bet is to go by reviews and members feedback. Subwoofer I am assuming you have a budget of 60-70k? If you can extend your budget by 10-15k I can think of 2 subs that will fit well for your room and usage. RELHT1205 or the Rythmik LV12F. Ideal would be a subwoofer that is rated 500 watts RMS. Your choice with q acoustics and paradigm is good. Speakers I have used Dali and currently using xtz. Both are very good and is within your budget which you can consider as well.
Thanks for the response.2 subwoofers will a overkill for my room,I suppose.Subwoofer budget is around 40 k.Can increase it upto 50 k if needed.

Thanks for the response.2 subwoofers will a overkill for my room,I suppose.Subwoofer budget is around 40 k.Can increase it upto 50 k if needed.
Not suggesting dual subwoofers. By 2 I meant two different subwoofers which I have suggested. Rel HT1205 and Rythmik LV12F. But these will cost you more. For 40-50k you have few popular subs in the forum. Bic,Polk,Taga etc.

Q acaustics 3050
Paradigm monitor se 6000
Consider Yamaha Aventage series in this list which is far better than the other AVR u mentioned.
Speakers - Possible do audition to decide it.( Atleast any FM setup in your nearest city ).
Some speakers list for consideration.
Emotiva Airmotiv series
Dali Oberon series
Xtz spirit series
Mission MX series

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back