• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Need guidance regarding using networked stereo receiver over wifi

Rega

SSlovesmusic

Dear Forum members

I'm looking at using a networked stereo receiver, (likely rn 803 or maybe rn602) and drive a bookshelf pair.

Newbie Query to experienced junta:

1 - My understanding is I can stream the (offline + lossless) music collection on my android phone/ computer wirelessly (WiFi) thru music cast app to the setup.
Is that understanding correct... Coz i haven't been able to demo.
Or Are there any fine prints/ niggling issues.

2- Does the heos app work similarly.. say if I used Marantz nr1200 then.

3- Strictly for the use case mentioned above, which networked receiver would forum members recommend from Sound quality and usability perspective... Price ideally less than 60k.

Apologies for the long query...

chander

I helped an old but - pretty technically deft couple (with i-devices) to set this up with their old ancient floorstanding speakers. My experience with this device for a few hours was -
1 - This works perfectly with apple devices (for the end users) - some seamless-ness issues with android (me). The synchronization between apple devices and this was like love at first sight. I sadly never tested it with PC, as that was not the requirement, other members, please chime in. On that note technically provided the specs - DLNA, it should pick up your local music via music cast but a lot of things on paper are always more appealing than in reality and if you are a windows user, well things can be always fun and challenging. Windows don't like talking to other devices much.
2 - No experience with Heos APP - sorry.
3 - In terms of SQ it is 'not bad at all', it has a very typical - New Yamaha sound. Warmish. Again that is not a bad thing, it is just preference. It isn't sparkly, but it is very pleasant, non-tiring sound, it is musical, but not exactly accurate? It is not a typical Audiophile kind of device - but well what is? Regardless, from my little experience, it was generally favorable and enjoyable sound - I could live with it. Compared to the n602 I believe this is more accomplished a set, but I am going purely by the specs!

In the end there is not much in that price category - this is one of the better ones given the price. I also know, because I have gone through a couple loaned network receivers in the recent past - but found most good ones to be well above that range, the reason is the plethora of features. It is a sacrifice between features or sound, unless obviously, price is of no consequence. As each one of them comes at a cost.

SSlovesmusic

Thanks for your inputs. I got the model from the reply but thanks for clarifying.
Could you elaborate a bit what kind of issues you faced with Android in playback... Bulk of my frequent listening music files are on my phone / tab sd cards.. hence asking.
Thanks.

chander

First of all this was almost half a year ago or perhaps a little more in HK, so a lot of it is fragmented memory, I might not be able to tell you exactly the issues.

Issue was primarily working together seamlessly - android and this didn't fuse like it did with Apple. For example airplay is built in, but I do not think that Chromecast was. Now, provided you want to play FLAC and MP3s using your phone, BT works, which for me dropped a couple of times, nothing that was unworkable but it did drop for me.

I did have a couple of issues using the Music cast though, but MIND you I didn't spend much time trying to rectify issues, considering I was setting it up for someone else. My aim was to understand it and then guide them through it. In that process, I realized that setting things up with apple was so much more 'seamless'. Sorry for using that word so many times, but I think that is what describes it for me the best. Also I got the dreaded - 'device not found' on my android.

However, it in no way was unusable. This is a pretty solid and capable device, provided the budget and the features and overall value for money. Like with all wireless capability devices, you will always hit a few roadblocks depending on apps you use and perhaps I did hit those, but a little perseverance can go a long way in rectifying issues permanently. Also please understand I am not trying to deter you from buying this, on the contrary I am suggesting this is a pretty capable device for the money.