Need guidance regarding using networked stereo receiver over wifi

SSlovesmusic

Dear Forum members

I'm looking at using a networked stereo receiver, (likely rn 803 or maybe rn602) and drive a bookshelf pair.

Newbie Query to experienced junta:

1 - My understanding is I can stream the (offline + lossless) music collection on my android phone/ computer wirelessly (WiFi) thru music cast app to the setup.
Is that understanding correct... Coz i haven't been able to demo.
Or Are there any fine prints/ niggling issues.

2- Does the heos app work similarly.. say if I used Marantz nr1200 then.

3- Strictly for the use case mentioned above, which networked receiver would forum members recommend from Sound quality and usability perspective... Price ideally less than 60k.

Apologies for the long query...

I helped an old but - pretty technically deft couple (with i-devices) to set this up with their old ancient floorstanding speakers. My experience with this device for a few hours was -
1 - This works perfectly with apple devices (for the end users) - some seamless-ness issues with android (me). The synchronization between apple devices and this was like love at first sight. I sadly never tested it with PC, as that was not the requirement, other members, please chime in. On that note technically provided the specs - DLNA, it should pick up your local music via music cast but a lot of things on paper are always more appealing than in reality and if you are a windows user, well things can be always fun and challenging. Windows don't like talking to other devices much.
2 - No experience with Heos APP - sorry.
3 - In terms of SQ it is 'not bad at all', it has a very typical - New Yamaha sound. Warmish. Again that is not a bad thing, it is just preference. It isn't sparkly, but it is very pleasant, non-tiring sound, it is musical, but not exactly accurate? It is not a typical Audiophile kind of device - but well what is? Regardless, from my little experience, it was generally favorable and enjoyable sound - I could live with it. Compared to the n602 I believe this is more accomplished a set, but I am going purely by the specs!

In the end there is not much in that price category - this is one of the better ones given the price. I also know, because I have gone through a couple loaned network receivers in the recent past - but found most good ones to be well above that range, the reason is the plethora of features. It is a sacrifice between features or sound, unless obviously, price is of no consequence. As each one of them comes at a cost.

Thanks for your inputs. I got the model from the reply but thanks for clarifying.
Could you elaborate a bit what kind of issues you faced with Android in playback... Bulk of my frequent listening music files are on my phone / tab sd cards.. hence asking.
Thanks.

First of all this was almost half a year ago or perhaps a little more in HK, so a lot of it is fragmented memory, I might not be able to tell you exactly the issues.

Issue was primarily working together seamlessly - android and this didn't fuse like it did with Apple. For example airplay is built in, but I do not think that Chromecast was. Now, provided you want to play FLAC and MP3s using your phone, BT works, which for me dropped a couple of times, nothing that was unworkable but it did drop for me.

I did have a couple of issues using the Music cast though, but MIND you I didn't spend much time trying to rectify issues, considering I was setting it up for someone else. My aim was to understand it and then guide them through it. In that process, I realized that setting things up with apple was so much more 'seamless'. Sorry for using that word so many times, but I think that is what describes it for me the best. Also I got the dreaded - 'device not found' on my android.

However, it in no way was unusable. This is a pretty solid and capable device, provided the budget and the features and overall value for money. Like with all wireless capability devices, you will always hit a few roadblocks depending on apps you use and perhaps I did hit those, but a little perseverance can go a long way in rectifying issues permanently. Also please understand I am not trying to deter you from buying this, on the contrary I am suggesting this is a pretty capable device for the money.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back