Need help buying a mini Hi-Fi component system

hi sance ,

i dont know how you ..feel.... about my comments ...but here they are

I feel you should stay away from

LG FA163DAB- Mark ....etc ....fancy-looking products in audio-business
these fall in 'Life style range' . These are built to have a great show-piece items with below average audio quality... i have practically auditioned such
products in CROMA/PROFX made by dennon/Lg .i found the audio output is pretty poor..speacially in low freq bass side ... thatz all about bad comments.

now good ones :
possible setup 1:
Normal DVD player >gefen DAC>Norge stereo amp(or similar)>Sonodyne /yamaha towers (or similar)
Approx Price Breakup:1800+4000+5000+9000=19800

possible setup 2:
Normal DVD player >gefen DAC>proton Amp>>Sonodyne /yamaha towers (or similar)
Approx Price Breakup:1800+4000+7000+9000=21800

possible setup 3:
buy a good combo hifi-pkg from malls like reliance/chroma
sometime back chroma mall had>
yamaha 5.1 speakers + yamaha rxv-361=24000Rs

sigma mall> onkyo combo 19,900rs [av r +5.1 + dvd player(free)]

see the DAC thread on the DAC unit i told ..
regards

kaushik

Thanks Kaushik for an interesting and very informative post!

I had a couple of questions.

Regarding "possible setup 3", they look like very good deals for a HT setup, but I plan to have a setup for stereo audio only. So an AV receiver will be overkill, and 5.1 speakers wont be so useful for me.... Are you aware of any such great deals on stereo setups?

Regarding setups 1 and 2, It would be great if you could mention model numbers for the proton/norge amps and the sonodyne/yamaha towers. I could then find out more about them.

I also notice that you are very specific about the DAC, the amp and the speaker, but you mention only "normal DVD player". Why is that so? I am only guessing, but is it because there is an external DAC now, the player will just have to read the digital bits off the cd/dvd and do nothing else? So now, will the player need to have some kind of "digital" output to the DAC?

Please forgive my ignorance, if these are obvious things to audiophiles. My only excuse is that I am pretty new to the hi-fi scene :)

Thanks again,
Sandeep.

Regarding "possible setup 3", they look like very good deals for a HT setup, but I plan to have a setup for stereo audio only. So an AV receiver will be overkill, and 5.1 speakers wont be so useful for me.... Are you aware of any such great deals on stereo setups?
Sandeep..
stereo combo ...until now i haven't seen any....may be places like chennai/mumbai u may get one . ..also the the combos come and g on special occassions only !
other reason being ..... the sterephiles normally look for 30k+ range and are willing to pay ...

Regarding setups 1 and 2, It would be great if you could mention model numbers for the proton/norge amps and the sonodyne/yamaha towers. I could then find out more about them.

i dunt have model nos...:(!
for option 1 and 2 u need to visit :
yamaha:gray mkt
sonodyne:forum mall showroom
[i have seen 9k towers there]

proton:pM hifi4all[ramesh]
Nordge:see the nordge thread
[range starts 4.5k]

I also notice that you are very specific about the DAC, the amp and the speaker, but you mention only "normal DVD player".

yes,"normal DVD player" ..because of ur tight budget..
usually audiophile type CD/DVD players start at 9k [cambridge audio CA 640c] etc

..as you can use the dvd player only as transport...>external DAC does nice job on suggested setups and final output will be rich..

finally this forum is there to help u newbies ...
no issues

Kaushik, I am not sure but as far as my knowledge goes Proton makes PRO amps i.e. to be used in clubs and such places. They dont make home audio products

I am not entirely sure so just wanted to confirm with you

proton 50+50w RMS AMP I AUDITIONED at rameshs place ..
he tells a its rare piece ...

it has click attenuator
bass and treble ...

may be sold out by now

Hey just a small correction, I don't think "audiophile type" CD players are available for 9k.....the cheaper options like the CA 340C and the Marantz 5001 are about 14-15k, last i checked....

Sandeep..

yes,"normal DVD player" ..because of ur tight budget..
usually audiophile type CD/DVD players start at 9k [cambridge audio CA 640c] etc

almost new Marantz 5001 was at 9k at Hifi4all...!
yes MRP is higher
please correct that CA 640 is in the higher range ...sorry for the mistake

Back