Need Help Choosing an AV Receiver - Kolkata, West Bengal, India

Glessrob

I had Sony AZ5D 5.1 home theater system which is still running but DVD is kaput hence cannot use it usefully.

Now since Blu-Ray players are mostly coming with HDMI output due to piracy issue and no 5.1 analog outputs I am being forced to buy an AV Receiver.

I want to spend as minimum as possible. Price and very very high bass sound is primary issue.

I normally hear radio, music (mostly hindi movie mp3), and movies (.mkv format, this is the reason I need the blu-ray players as they play from usb).

Problem is I have the speakers of AZ5D still running and I want to use them to lower my overall cost though I will have to buy a subwoofer as previous one was passive.

Front speakers (4 Ohms [2 woofers and 1 tweeter each])
Center Speaker (8 ohms)
Surround Speaker (8 Ohms)
Passive Subwoofer (2 Ohms)

None of the cheap HT packages have full range front speakers so I want to retain the Front speakers especially.

So, simple and single question which is the cheapest AV Receiver which will support 4 ohms and 8 ohms speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Raja Bhattacharya

Last edited:
I had Sony AZ5D 5.1 home theater system which is still running but DVD is kaput hence cannot use it usefully.

Now since Blu-Ray players are mostly coming with HDMI output due to piracy issue and no 5.1 analog outputs I am being forced to buy an AV Receiver.

I want to spend as minimum as possible. Price and very very high bass sound is primary issue.

I normally hear radio, music (mostly hindi movie mp3), and movies (.mkv format, this is the reason I need the blu-ray players as they play from usb).

Problem is I have the speakers of AZ5D still running and I want to use them to lower my overall cost though I will have to buy a subwoofer as previous one was passive.

Front speakers (4 Ohms [2 woofers and 1 tweeter each])
Center Speaker (8 ohms)
Surround Speaker (8 Ohms)
Passive Subwoofer (2 Ohms)

None of the cheap HT packages have full range front speakers so I want to retain the Front speakers especially.

So, simple and single question which is the cheapest AV Receiver which will support 4 ohms and 8 ohms speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Raja Bhattacharya

Hi Raja,
For an entry level AVR you can consider Yamaha RX-V375. If you want to go ahead with Yamaha and ready to raise your budget a little bit, you can consider Yamaha RX-V475. It has a nice feature - DLNA. You won't regret once you have that feature during future upgrades. There are other AVRs as well from Denon, Onkyo, Marantz. Better to take an audition and decide.

If you use 4ohms for fronts, you might end up with frying the speakers. Better to go with 8ohm speakers with AVRs.
If possible, get rid of the 2ohm sub as well with this setup. You might consider any powered sub for home theater use.
For a cost effective solution you can have a look at Sonodyne speakers and Subs. They are really VFM.

The cheap and best solution is still Do-It-Yourself. Buy 8ohm drivers and get the cabinet done from local carpenter.
In case if you opt for that, please read a lot. Do extensive research on driver selection, cabinet design, crossover design etc.

Last edited:
Someone is selling his Yahama HTiB - 196 for 15K from Calcutta only. It will be a good option if you are open to used products.

If u want hear great sound ,don't go for commercial HT system (Onida,samsung,philips etc.,)
Look for any product from Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer /Onkyo..
As your budget is less u can try Yamaha YHT296/298/299 AVR which is having active subwoofer..(yht 196 is cheaper but it is old model with less features...) ,Pionner & onkyo in the entry level will have only passive subs..
if u r having more budget try Denon 1513 or X 500 ...
I think the AVR general ranges are 6 & 8 ohms speakers..
For 4 ohms u need to check it further...

Someone is selling his Yahama HTiB - 196 for 15K from Calcutta only. It will be a good option if you are open to used products.
13.gif

Onida has a blu ray player with 5.1 audio out. Samsung has one with 7.1 out (Rs 15,000).
http://onida.com/tv-audio-video/dvd/product/Blu-Ray-DVD-Player/BDX-3330-Blu-Ray/19
BD-F7500 - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG India

Thanks for your reply but BD-F7500 is not available in the market and I want to buy on installment. It is not even available on Ebay. I already know this option since I was planning to hook it up with Edifier C6XF as my Home Theater. Onida does not have 3D playback and I want that feature. That is why I told I am forced to buy an AV Receiver.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back