Need Help for my Stereo Set up

S. Basu

Dear Frnz,

Recently I purchase BS Focal chorus 706V and integrated amplifier Marantz PM 5004 from ACE Audio Junction it was amazing sound at the store but after install the set into my room sound quality fully difference compare to store the store representative told me give some time to burn the system but as on date I didn't get the effect which i got in store. Now some of my friend advise me change the amplifier and recommend Yamaha A S500.

I am planing to change my step up with Denon amplifier with KEF Q300 which i listen to Pro FX, sound depth is excellent.

Plz suggest me which should i do Replace my amplifier or entire set up?

Hi S. Basu,

I would recommend to stay with the same setup for sometime. Let them settle and burn-in.
In the meantime, check your source. What is your source player? TT, CDP, PC+DAC?

How have you set them up? How big is your room? Do your room have enough absorbers and diffusers for the sound?
Share some pics of your setup.

I am planing to change my step up with Denon amplifier with KEF Q300 which i listen to Pro FX, sound depth is excellent.

Plz suggest me which should i do Replace my amplifier or entire set up?

Hey, you seem to be getting dejected :sad:. Don't.

You don't need to do either. After all, you have heard the setup where it sounded amazing. So nothing's wrong with the system. Merely changing the components will lead nowhere. Work on the setup in your room. Speaker placement and very basic room treatment are two of the most basic things which can work wonders. These are why the systems sound so good at the dealers'. It will take some effort but the results will be there for you to hear.
Start on below threads and look for more on the forum. There is a wealth of information here.
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/5833-tips-speaker-placement-2.html
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/49532-speaker-positioning.html
http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/17554-making-baby-steps-into-hi-fi.html

But why another thread? Continue on the old one. Let people know what you have done and then take it from there.
Give a diagram of your room with speaker placement.

Photographs from listener position and from any of the speaker back will really help.

Please select one song that you can judge your system with. Listen to that song of CD in your room for many times.
Go to the seller again with that song and listen there again.

Write down your observation in differences in sound qualities.

Being physically away from your system, we can help you better then.

There are many HFVian in Kolkata who can be with you in sorting out your problem.

Hi
What material did you use in the store to listen ?
Did you use the exact same material at home?
What exactly do you mean it does not sound as good as in store?

Not casting any aspersions on the dealer, however, post discussing with a few friends of mine who are inclined towards music, there is a possibility that dealers put 'passive radiators' into use when auditions are done. One can read up on passive radiators. Do not shower me with bricks as to how could I say that about dealers, but I am just citing a possibility. Other obvious factors like listening space comparisons, possible acoustic treatment at the demo space, etc. could always be the differentiation factor.

Had been in your shoes, I would have looked at two things :
- If I were using the same amp as the dealer was during demo. Pairing makes a huge difference.

- If I could convince the dealer to send his demo pair to my house to compare. I could tell him I am not satisfied and hence need to perform a comparison test. If that is possible, it could clear doubts. In case post auditioning the demo pair also you feel the same difference, then there is nothing much that you could do, despite using the same amp as the dealer.

My player source is not dedicated CD player I am plying with Pioneer BDP 170. difference is sound is not detailed.

Allow the speakers to burn in, follow the manual for recommended speaker placement. It has nothing to do with the speakers or amp, tweaking room acoustics will do wonders, google it and there are tons of articles. BDP 170 is an excellent bluray player but not recommended for music listening, consider dedicated audio CD player.

Sadly, I see you have decided to sell your amp. Do let us know what you are planning. Do reconsider and work on the suggestions from forum members.
There has actually been very little feedback from you regarding these suggestions.
It does need effort to get any setup to sound at its best. The dealers also put in a lot of effort and you have seen the result.

Last edited:
Don't be hasty with your decision...I was just catching up on all the posts here and in the end saw that you've already gone ahead and put your amp on sale. How do you know it is the amp??? Also if you are really planning to go for Yamaha A500 I can assure you the results are gonna be worse. Focals are traditionally bright and Yamaha's AS500 is also fairly bright with a hard, brittle sound, not a combination to go for.

How long back did you make the purchase? What are the cables you are using? Also, is your room adequately furnished? Did you try moving your speakers around and evaluate the change in sound?

What you may be going through is cognitive dissonance, buyer's remorse...Give the system a fair chance. Accept the fact that the demo at the dealer's place will sound different (usually better) than your home. But that does not mean that you cannot get the sound you like at home. Try the zero-cost tweaks first. Ensure you have drapes/cushions/other furniture around the place to ward off early reflections. Do you have stable stands for the speakers? Are they at the right height? Try different listening position wrt the speakers. Also try different angles of toe ins. Last but most importantly, let the sound grow on you. Appreciate the good things of the setup...think of upgrades later...

Take it from someone who's been there, done that...in fact continues to do that...

all the best!

Try to contact forum members from Kolkata. You can join the group on whatsapp and seek help. I have sent you a PM

Why are you asking OP to move the discussion to whatsapp? The entire point of a discussion forum is so everyone on the forum can see the entire thread, can comment, and visitors coming later can learn by reading old threads.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back