Need help in building a custom home theater

vigneshprabhu

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have been going through the threads in this site. But its too much of information for a newbie to digest.
I needed some help in deciding my Home theater. I am open to mixing and matching various brands. I would use this system 70% for music and 30% for movies.
I currently have a budget of ~40K.

Please suggest some models within this budget. At present i would like to go for a nice 5.1 amp with 2 speakers and a active sub and add on the rears later.

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have been going through the threads in this site. But its too much of information for a newbie to digest.
I needed some help in deciding my Home theater. I am open to mixing and matching various brands. I would use this system 70% for music and 30% for movies.
I currently have a budget of ~40K.

Please suggest some models within this budget. At present i would like to go for a nice 5.1 amp with 2 speakers and a active sub and add on the rears later.

in 40K you can only get a HTiB that will be acceptable for movies not music - say mabe a YHT 195 or an onkyo 3200.

BTW you can look at the YHT 195 (basically yamaha 363 + 5.1 speakers) for 21k and look at investing the remaining money for wharfdale 9.1/9.2. SO you have an acceptable system for 40k or whereabouts.

Hi and welcome...

We have quite a lot of threads including some active ones which discuss about setting up HTs within your budget. Please use the search function and you will get your answer ...

How about a decent amp with just a sub. Say for about 30K. I currently hold a set of speakers which i can hopefully use for now.

How about a decent amp with just a sub. Say for about 30K. I currently hold a set of speakers which i can hopefully use for now.

bhai a decent sub and an avr ( i hope you meant avr and not a 2 channel amp) would set you back by more than 40k.

BTW what speakers do you have and what are the specifications??

Assuming i can stretch my budget. wat are the startup options for avr amp and sub i can expect.

well the 463 will be around 20k in Xcite Bangalore - you can get a wharfdale sw150 which is a good sub at its price point for 20k.

Later build around wharfdale surrounds etc -wharf goes well with yamaha.

Assuming i can stretch my budget. wat are the startup options for avr amp and sub i can expect.

You can go for Yamaha 463 20K+ Wharfe 9.2 15JK at first..........

Then later on add sub from below

Wharfe 150 18K
Sonodyne Roarr 210 15K
Polk PSW 110 <13K
Norge NSW 100 <9K
Sonodyne Roarr 108 9K

and then add surround+center Wharfe WH2 11K

OR elsr go for Onkyo 5105 <30K, it's nice starting setup.

Yogesh.

Hi Vignesh,

I am not sure about NORGE, but Polk Audio products are available at Pro-FX showroom in Barton Center at MG Road, Bangalore.

vignesh, get a 463, and a pair of floorstanders like the wharfedale 9.5s or the Mission m34i (18k) or M35i (25k?) that should fit your budget and you won't need a sub too badly because the floorstanders will go pretty low. Later you can build the rest of your 5.1 setup around the same line of speakers.

Thanks Yogesh,

Where can i buy Norge NSW 100 or Polk PSW 110 in bangalore ?

Does Yamaha 463 match well with Jamo 406 ?
I am confused with the speaker options. can some one suggest which is a better choice Jamo 406/Warfedale 9.5s/Mission 34i considering my amp would be Yamaha 463

Last edited:
Wharfies any day man.
Wharfe9.5>Mission34I>Wharfe9.2>>>>>>>>>>Jamo406
Thanks Yogesh.
Can you summarize the latests prices for each of them ?
I am also thinking of going for Onkyo 3200 for now and then upgrading the fronts to a good floor standers. Any thoughts on this.
wats your opinion on difference between yam 463 and amp that come along with onkyo 3200

hi, i have heard mission m 34i with 463. Excellent pair. Would have bought speakers if i had money. But good i didnt buy. At present i am enjoying music on my home made speakers(with active sub). The speaker pair(4 way which includes sub driver) with sub amplifiercost me rs 12k. So my suggestion will be that you should spend on AVR having 'hdmi audio' handling capacity & go diy way for speakers. Remember that you are not likely to get a avr with hdmi audio handling capacity at less than 30k. Less than that most of the receivers are either hdmi video pass through or video up scaling without audio handling capacity and believe me hdmi audio is big step up from digital coax or optical audio. I have heard it. So spend more on avr. I will go for it once i gather enough money. At present i am using yam rxv 361,which for audio is as good as 463. In yam i think 663& above can handle hdmi audio (but not 100% sure)

Remember that you are not likely to get a avr with hdmi audio handling capacity at less than 30k. Less than that most of the receivers are either hdmi video pass through or video up scaling without audio handling capacity and believe me hdmi audio is big step up from digital coax or optical audio. I have heard it. So spend more on avr. I will go for it once i gather enough money. At present i am using yam rxv 361,which for audio is as good as 463. In yam i think 663& above can handle hdmi audio (but not 100% sure)

AFAIK, all Yamaha X63 models except 363 can process audio over HDMI, so 463 does have that capability

AFAIK, I think it does not. I had specifically checked that when i bought my receiver from vijay sales mumbai. I went through the catalogue in detail about the receivers fitting in my budget. Was not getting much by spending more on 463. So settled for 361 at rs 13.5k(my budget was 25k but in that, i was just getting video up scaling. Was not interested much in video capabilities). But no harm in checking it again. If 463 supports hdmi audio then nothing like it.

Check out Page 18 in the PDF manual available on RX-V463. Also refer Pages 34, 65, 71 & 82 where the connections, configuration & troubleshooting are discussed.

Cheers!

Page 82 in trouble states that "HDMI component doesn't accept multichannel audio signal". In Sol it states that "COnvert multi channel signal to 2 Channel signal at source"

This means HDMI only processes stereo sound and NOT multi channel i.e. 5.1/7.1 etc.

If u r using HDMI with 463 for multi chanel audio and it is working, pl confirm. It wil be a great help.

Page 82 in trouble states that "HDMI component doesn't accept multichannel audio signal". In Sol it states that "COnvert multi channel signal to 2 Channel signal at source"

This means HDMI only processes stereo sound and NOT multi channel i.e. 5.1/7.1 etc.

If u r using HDMI with 463 for multi chanel audio and it is working, pl confirm. It wil be a great help.

Page 18 does state that it supports multi-channel (6 ch) LPCM over HDMI. I don't own a 463, so can't try this out.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back