Need help in Buying Speakers for Living Room(HT).

manish2225

Hello All,

I am setting up my Home theatre in living room, I am not doing any sound proofing.

Products I have.
1. LG 85 inch 4K.
2. Denon AVR 3700.

Content I will Play.
1. Mostly Online Streaming platforms like Netflix and others.
2. Amazon Music and other online streaming services.

So mostly it will be 50 50 of music and movies.

Need help in buying decision for speakers.

My Living room dimension is 20X22 with 10.5 height.
Viewing Distance is 16 feet.
Planning to have a 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 Setup.

Short Listed Speakers are
1. JBL A190 Series Bundle Pack.
2. Polk Audio T series Bundle pack.
3.IndiqAudio Gold Tower home Theatre Package.

Also having a query, Does Atmos Setup really works in real scenario.I mean the content which we will get in prime video or Netflix capable of giving Atmos output?

Budget is 1L or max 1.5L .

Thanks
Manish

Hello All,

I am setting up my Home theatre in living room, I am not doing any sound proofing.

Products I have.
1. LG 85 inch 4K.
2. Denon AVR 3700.

Content I will Play.

Also having a query, Does Atmos Setup really works in real scenario.I mean the content which we will get in prime video or Netflix capable of giving Atmos output?

Thanks
Manish
Welcome to HT world! Atmos effects depends on the content and the setup. The room size is quite big for all the speakers to be driven by AVR alone or say considering your listening distance and the configuration, you might be driving AVR to its limit. Plus you might feel the need for sound absorption / diffusers at some point in time in future

Ideally for your room size and listening distance, you should consider going in for 2 subs placed optimally. Since you have a set budget, you should go in phases and build your setup over time. That ways you will buy better equipment overtime rather than accommodating everything in one go and compromising on majority of them.

check this thread on the viability of Atmos -

Welcome to HT world! Atmos effects depends on the content and the setup. The room size is quite big for all the speakers to be driven by AVR alone or say considering your listening distance and the configuration, you might be driving AVR to its limit. Plus you might feel the need for sound absorption / diffusers at some point in time in future

Ideally for your room size and listening distance, you should consider going in for 2 subs placed optimally. Since you have a set budget, you should go in phases and build your setup over time. That ways you will buy better equipment overtime rather than accommodating everything in one go and compromising on majority of them.
Thanks Pratyush,

Shall I upgrade the AVR? For eg 3700 to 4700.

And yes its a good suggestion to go in phases, so that will end up with a good setup:).

Thanks Pratyush,

Shall I upgrade the AVR? For eg 3700 to 4700.

And yes its a good suggestion to go in phases, so that will end up with a good setup:).
Since you already have 3700, don't waste it, unless you can repurpose 3700 for another room. Alternatively, you can think of utilizing that amount for a power amp for LR / LCR.

Since you already have 3700, don't waste it, unless you can repurpose 3700 for another room. Alternatively, you can think of utilizing that amount for a power amp for LR / LCR.
I can use this AMP in my native, if you have some good suggestion for better AVR please do share.:)

Thanks
Manish
To my ears, the Polk T series sound decent in Movies, okay with Music, haven't personally auditioned IndiqAudio but hearing good thing about them. I remember a few of the FMs here did mention, it performed equally well in both Movies/Music.

Coming to your ATMOS question, I couldn't hear the height channels (Netflix) until I stood up on my couch and put my ears near the speakers. But every setup is different with different results.

Hello All,

Products I have.
1. LG 85 inch 4K.
2. Denon AVR 3700.

Content I will Play.

Thanks
Manish

You have a very good AVR which does a very good job for Movies. Upgrading to 4700h will not yield any major benefits as the increase in processing power is very less. I have run my speakers without using any power amp for a small amount
of time with the 4500H and it powered them well enough (was running a 5.1.4 setup) , adding power amp helped me get better dynamics but are not a day one requirement with the 3700H. (I am currently running a 7.2.4 setup with just the fronts on the power amp and dont notice any lack of power). You can think of adding one in the future.

On the speaker side as suggested you will need to probably go for 5.2.2/5.2.4 setup. I would suggest to go for Indiq Platinum Achal as fronts and their matching center and I guess their surrounds are called alaap. This will be a very good setup for music and movies alike , the achals are very well received and sound really good. Since you are from Bangalore you can audition all major brands once covid situation diffuses , below are options
i) Modern World , Domlur - Qacoustics 3050i, Concept 40, ELAC FS Debut 6.2 can be demoed for music and movies alike
ii) Pro-Fx, MG Road- KEF q750, Polk RTI series
iii) HTStore , JP Nagar - Dali Oberon
iv) Music Ranch - PSB , SVS
v) Home Cinema- XTZ 95.44 / Spirit 11, Sonodyne
vi) Cinebels- Klipsch models

After auditioning most of the above (barring Dali/PSB) , personally found the Indiq Platinum Achal to be most well rounded offering, tagged with solid customer support and 3 years Warranty (extensible to 5 years )

3700 is a very capable AVR, do not upgraded to 4700 even if it has more watts. In real life scenario the difference would be few decibels.

Both Polk and JBL packages are good.
IndiaqAudio has received good reviews for its speakers, but no idea on subwoofers.

As your room size is big, you will need 2 identical subs with enough power. Would advice to try and get identical LCR channels or LR atleast. Get decent spec surrounds and don't skimp on subwoofer.
LCR and the subs will be the heart of the room.

If possible try getting 5.0 packages without subwoofers, you can try getting the Sub which you prefer.

As for the less AVR power, after the setup is done down the line you could add power amps to the 3700. Start with LCR. You might be happy with only the 3700 too.

Will need a bit of research but it will be worth it.

Coming to your ATMOS question, I couldn't hear the height channels (Netflix) until I stood up on my couch and put my ears near the speakers. But every setup is different with different results.
True, Even I thought the same and dropped the Atmos Idea.

You have a very good AVR which does a very good job for Movies. Upgrading to 4700h will not yield any major benefits as the increase in processing power is very less. I have run my speakers without using any power amp for a small amount
of time with the 4500H and it powered them well enough (was running a 5.1.4 setup) , adding power amp helped me get better dynamics but are not a day one requirement with the 3700H. (I am currently running a 7.2.4 setup with just the fronts on the power amp and dont notice any lack of power). You can think of adding one in the future.

On the speaker side as suggested you will need to probably go for 5.2.2/5.2.4 setup. I would suggest to go for Indiq Platinum Achal as fronts and their matching center and I guess their surrounds are called alaap. This will be a very good setup for music and movies alike , the achals are very well received and sound really good. Since you are from Bangalore you can audition all major brands once covid situation diffuses , below are options
i) Modern World , Domlur - Qacoustics 3050i, Concept 40, ELAC FS Debut 6.2 can be demoed for music and movies alike
ii) Pro-Fx, MG Road- KEF q750, Polk RTI series
iii) HTStore , JP Nagar - Dali Oberon
iv) Music Ranch - PSB , SVS
v) Home Cinema- XTZ 95.44 / Spirit 11, Sonodyne
vi) Cinebels- Klipsch models

After auditioning most of the above (barring Dali/PSB) , personally found the Indiq Platinum Achal to be most well rounded offering, tagged with solid customer support and 3 years Warranty (extensible to 5 years )
Hi fLUX,

Thanks for the advise on AMP, will keep it. :)

Will surely do the audition of speakers you recommended.

Even I liked the Indiq Speakers.

will keep you posted once I finalised the speaker. :)

3700 is a very capable AVR, do not upgraded to 4700 even if it has more watts. In real life scenario the difference would be few decibels.

Both Polk and JBL packages are good.
IndiaqAudio has received good reviews for its speakers, but no idea on subwoofers.

As your room size is big, you will need 2 identical subs with enough power. Would advice to try and get identical LCR channels or LR atleast. Get decent spec surrounds and don't skimp on subwoofer.
LCR and the subs will be the heart of the room.

If possible try getting 5.0 packages without subwoofers, you can try getting the Sub which you prefer.

As for the less AVR power, after the setup is done down the line you could add power amps to the 3700. Start with LCR. You might be happy with only the 3700 too.

Will need a bit of research but it will be worth it.
Ya still the research is ON, Now dropped the plan of upgrading to 4700. 3700 will be sufficient for my need.

Will audition SUBS in real time, Den will finalised the SUB.. And yes as per the room size I need 2 subs.

Will Try LCR Channel, Thanks for the input bro.

Thanks Amrutmhatre.

True, Even I thought the same and dropped the Atmos Idea.
Dont need atmos day 1, but the atmos contents are a real joy to watch. Good part is you dont need to spend a lot to get yourself the overhead speakers in comparison to the rest of the setup and can add it anytime you intend to.

Very rightly said by fLUX. Atmos is good, joy to watch. I have very cheap Micca Covo S doing atmos duty, which cost about 4k per pair. I am satisfied with it and the room I have.

Surely in future I will be upgrading, but decent Atmos Speakers will cost very less comparatively.

And I do hear my Atmos speakers making sounds, glad my console supports atmos which adds more benefit.

Hello All,

Products I have.
1. LG 85 inch 4K.
2. Denon AVR 3700.

Content I will Play.

Thanks
Manish
3700 is very good. No point upgrading to 4x or higher series as it’s not going to be in a dedicated HT room. Like most of them suggested here, I too would vote for the IndiqAudio Platinum Achal and their Matching Center. They are excellent for music as well as for movies. Since your space is big why not choose their newly launched Diamond series. For your 5000cuft space not all towers that you have finalised will be able to build pressure. Whilst Platinum series are very good and will do very well, if you want to add a Power Amp I’d say go for their diamond series. You will just be amazed to see what they are capable off. My listing space is about 10000cuft and these towers post upgrade has made me get rid of the subs and that said it does not kill the mids too.
I have been planning to post a separate thread on my journey from platinum to diamond series but not finding time. So, when you plan to go for an audition of Platinum Achal do check on the diamond series with them.

Regards,
Som

@manish2225 : Based on your listening space (and the numerous reviews across the forum) and budget, looks like IndiqAudio Platinum HT package might be a good fit.

@Prodigy : Can't wait to hear more about the Diamond series :)

3700 is very good. No point upgrading to 4x or higher series as it’s not going to be in a dedicated HT room. Like most of them suggested here, I too would vote for the IndiqAudio Platinum Achal and their Matching Center. They are excellent for music as well as for movies. Since your space is big why not choose their newly launched Diamond series. For your 5000cuft space not all towers that you have finalised will be able to build pressure. Whilst Platinum series are very good and will do very well, if you want to add a Power Amp I’d say go for their diamond series. You will just be amazed to see what they are capable off. My listing space is about 10000cuft and these towers post upgrade has made me get rid of the subs and that said it does not kill the mids too.
I have been planning to post a separate thread on my journey from platinum to diamond series but not finding time. So, when you plan to go for an audition of Platinum Achal do check on the diamond series with them.

Regards,
Som
It seems your diamonds are fresh out of the oven. They aren't even listed on their website yet.

It seems your diamonds are fresh out of the oven. They aren't even listed on their website yet.
Ha ha ha @DB1989 . Oven eh!
Its been few months now.. i wanted to get rid of the subs so reached out to them and Amit suggested me to go for their soon to be launched towers which had a similar design element but with different drivers and a new crossover. This is rated at 4Ohms but still has the same sensitivity of >94.5DB. They recommend this tower to be driven with a power amp and since i already had one i simply went for it. Surprisingly these towers don't drop below 3.8Ohms is what they say. Best part is i now have no subs added. These fill my large listening space really well and i am very happy. Thanks to their upgrade policy. ;)

@ktks1 .. Just not finding enough time to do it but will do it soon.

Ha ha ha @DB1989 . Oven eh!
Its been few months now.. i wanted to get rid of the subs so reached out to them and Amit suggested me to go for their soon to be launched towers which had a similar design element but with different drivers and a new crossover. This is rated at 4Ohms but still has the same sensitivity of >94.5DB. They recommend this tower to be driven with a power amp and since i already had one i simply went for it. Surprisingly these towers don't drop below 3.8Ohms is what they say. Best part is i now have no subs added. These fill my large listening space really well and i am very happy. Thanks to their upgrade policy. ;)

@ktks1 .. Just not finding enough time to do it but will do it soon.
Some pics please! And price if you could share!

@DB1989 - @Prodigy is official Beta tester for Indiq! :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back