Need help in connecting TV to stereo amp

Analogous

Hi
Seeking advice and guidance on connecting my TV to my two channel Stereo set up.
The TV has no optical or digital outputs; it has a 3.5mm audio socket and HDMI ports.
On a different thread (unable to locate, hence posting here) I saw a suggestion by an FM to get an Amazon basics audio extractor.
I bought one. Since this too doesn’t seem to have a analog output other than a 3.5 mm socket, I have to route the signal through a external DAC as my amplifier is analog only. (More wires!!!)
The amp has an array of RCA inputs (aux, CD, DVD, Tuner) and a pair labelled by-pass.

Grateful for your expert (and specific) advice and suggestions on connecting these up. Thanks.

(Ps: I am not interested in complicated HT setup as my listening is 80% music and 20% TV)

3.5mm output is analog, you don't need a DAC to convert 3.5mm to RCA, you just need a cable. Something like this one :

Thanks. Maybe I did not explain this well.
My TV already has a 3.5 mm analog out; the HDMI extractor (has 2 channel and 5 channel selector) I don’t want to use the 3.5 out from the extractor as it probably has no advantage over the 3.5 out of the TV.
I was looking for better quality audio through my existing stereo set up.

This is the extractor: https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

According to me you don't need any extractor or any other device if I have understood your setup right.
Just take the audio out from Tv to Aux on your amp.
In the Tv setup menu section, you will have the option to choose Tv speakers or headphone out or audio out.
With headphone out you will have dual control on the volume.
With Audio out, you control volume only from the amp.
The only reason for you to put a Dac inbetween is if you're not happy with the sound.
Hope this helps.

According to me you don't need any extractor or any other device if I have understood your setup right.
Just take the audio out from Tv to Aux on your amp.
In the Tv setup menu section, you will have the option to choose Tv speakers or headphone out or audio out.
With headphone out you will have dual control on the volume.
With Audio out, you control volume only from the amp.
The only reason for you to put a Dac inbetween is if you're not happy with the sound.
Hope this helps.
Hi, thank you for responding.
I tried it just now and got a scare!!!! It was very loud and I could not control the volume from my amp or the TV.
Wonder what I did wrong ?
I used a 3.5mm to RCA cable as suggested by @gourav (above), set TV to External speakers and plugged RCA to By-Pass on the amp.
Should I try with Aux in on the amp?

I tried it just now and got a scare!!!! It was very loud and I could not control the volume from my amp or the TV.
I used a 3.5mm to RCA cable as suggested by @gourav (above), set TV to External speakers and plugged RCA to By-Pass on the amp.
It should be connected to the aux in in the amp

I am using 3.5mm to rca cable from tv out to power amp input on stereo amplifier. This way i can control the volume also from remote and bypass the preamp of amplifier. It works better for me than connecting to dac and amplifer. I did not find it worth using a dac for tv.

It has to be connected to Aux which i mentioned above. In Bypass you have defeated the volume control and could have damaged the speakers.

Edit- not necessarily damaged but could have damaged in worst case since it was at full volume.

It has to be connected to Aux which i mentioned above. In Bypass you have defeated the volume control and could have damaged the speakers.
I switched it off. The speakers are ok (I think)
The amp has RCA in with the following labels: Aux, CD, Tuner, DVD and Tape in.
I have the audio streamer plugged in to Aux and a CDP plugged into CD sockets.
Can I use one of the others (Tuner or DVD) for the TV? Or shuffle these around ?
I don’t want to plug unplug (RCA) every time I change the source.

Last edited:
I am using 3.5mm to rca cable from tv out to power amp input on stereo amplifier. This way i can control the volume also from remote and bypass the preamp of amplifier. It works better for me than connecting to dac and amplifer. I did not find it worth using a dac for tv.
I am currently using a Atoll IN200. This does not have a power amp input (only pre out)

I switched it off. The speakers are ok (I think)
The amp has RCA in with the following labels: Aux, CD, Tuner, DVD and Tape in.
I have the audio streamer plugged in to Aux and a CDP plugged into CD sockets.
Can I use one of the others (Tuner or DVD) for the TV? Or shuffle these around ?
I don’t want to plug unplug (RCA) every time I change the source.
Good to hear the speakers are fine.
You can safely use Tuner or Dvd input on the amp for the Tv.

The bypass inputs will act as power amp input in your case. Did you try them.

View attachment 63621
Yes, I did try it and it was shockingly loud. I could not use the TV volume control as I had set to “external speakers”
Lucky I did not blow the drivers in my Harbeths!!! Quite a silly mistake. I will try with the other inputs and see how it sounds.

Good to hear the speakers are fine.
You can safely use Tuner or Dvd input on the amp for the Tv.
I will try this now. Should I keep the TV speaker setting at “external”? (Fixed/balanced?)
I never thought about this before…
What difference is there between all these inputs?
I am sure there must be some electronic design variations between them depending on the source …

Yes, I did try it and it was shockingly loud. I could not use the TV volume control as I had set to “external speakers”
Lucky I did not blow the drivers in my Harbeths!!! Quite a silly mistake. I will try with the other inputs and see how it sounds.

Only indicates that setting to external speakers mean that tv outputs fixed full volume. You should look for some setting in the tv output where it disables the fixed output.

Only indicates that setting to external speakers mean that tv outputs fixed full volume. You should look for some setting in the tv output where it disables the fixed output.
It’s a basic Sony LCD and has limited audio settings.
Are you back in Noida?

It’s a basic Sony LCD and has limited audio settings.
Are you back in Noida?

I am still far off. Did you ever try to use normal 3.5mm earphones with tv and find what the sound level is like. There must be some setting which disables fix output. That way you will have far less chance of destroying anything.

I will try this now. Should I keep the TV speaker setting at “external”? (Fixed/balanced?)
I never thought about this before…
What difference is there between all these inputs?
I am sure there must be some electronic design variations between them depending on the source …
Generally the Cd input is supposed to be better specified compared to the tuner input. However iam not very technically knowledgeable on this.
The tv setting you choose will depend on what options are available in the audio setup menu.
If you want to control volume only by the amp, just select fixed external speakers. This will give you the best sound.

The reason you were not able to control the volume was because you set it to external speaker. For using TV's 3.5mm output, you should not set it to external speaker. I think there should be an option on the TV to select headphone. If not, then leave it at TV speaker. The TV will treat the 3.5mm output as headphone. If this setting is not visible, just try plugging in the 3.5mm cable first, don't switch on the amp, just connect the cable. It might also be the case that it's not a smart TV and will not show headphone plugged in. Don't change any setting on the TV for using 3.5mm output in such a case.

I write this with the caveat that I have not specifically used a Sony TV and I'm just guessing based on my experience with TVs in general.

I am still far off. Did you ever try to use normal 3.5mm earphones with tv and find what the sound level is like. There must be some setting which disables fix output. That way you will have far less chance of destroying anything.
You are right. I found an option for fixed and variable settings under the speaker setting!!!
The headphone is a great idea. Will try this too. Thanks!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back