Need help in selecting an amplifier!

Hello everyone!
I am utterly confused between selecting an amplifier to go with my Wharfdale 12.3s. I have currently paired the speakers with Marantz NR1200, paired it with an outboard DAC, WiiM Pro streamer, Pro-Ject Carbon turntable with a Pro-ject phono box.

I am looking to upgrade the amplifier and I have shortlisted the following candidates to replace it with -- need your guidance in figuring out which one would be an ideal candidate in the medium-term and maybe something that would be future-proof in some way - if the itch to upgrade comes back again!

1. Audiolab 6000A
2. Marantz PM7000N
3. Cambridge CXA81

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!
I have used Wharfedale evo 4.1 with Cambridge Audio AM10 (similar specs as current model axa35). They are well matched with right amount of all tones. According to me Cambridge audio is very full bodied sounding amplifier. The audiolab is very good amplifier you can consider although I do not have any personal experience. Mostly amplifiers have their distinct sound signature so it will be better if you can audition the listed models with Wharfedale's 12 series speaker. Getting recommendation is one aspect and personal liking and preference is another which I feel is very important and crucial.

Last edited:
Getting recommendation is one aspect and personal liking and preference is another which I feel is very important and crucial.
Absolutely. It's quite alright to seek & get some recommendations but in the end the person's own likings & choice of music will determine the kind of equipment required.

Hello everyone!
I am utterly confused between selecting an amplifier to go with my Wharfdale 12.3s. I have currently paired the speakers with Marantz NR1200, paired it with an outboard DAC, WiiM Pro streamer, Pro-Ject Carbon turntable with a Pro-ject phono box.

I am looking to upgrade the amplifier and I have shortlisted the following candidates to replace it with -- need your guidance in figuring out which one would be an ideal candidate in the medium-term and maybe something that would be future-proof in some way - if the itch to upgrade comes back again!

1. Audiolab 6000A
2. Marantz PM7000N
3. Cambridge CXA81

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!
IMO, you will be better suited with a Audio Lab 6000A, for the following reasons

a) Audiolab and Wharfdales are under one brand name. It is mostly likely that these amplifiers will pair well with speaker produced by the same company.
b) Audiolab in general lean towards neutrality. I had auditioned Audiolab 7000A, which were fed to Wharfdales 12.3's and I liked the sound.
c) I had personally owned Brio in past and use a PM 8006 now. PM 8006 is closely related to 7000N without DAC and streamer. Whilst I love these amplifiers over Audio-lab 6000A, I believe their lush and warm and a slightly rolled off treble character may not go with Wharfdale 12.3's (which also leans towards being warm). This is my assessment. I haven't tried it personally.
d) lastly, Audiolab has a DAC, can be used as a preamp or a power amp. So upgrade path is good down the road. You may add a power amp of your choice or a pre amp to affect the sound in a meaning full way.

Note 1 : All of these amps will drive your wharf-dales with ease. Marantz will produce the most musical and the better sound stage. However Audiolab will be more suited, more neutral and better for most genres with Wharfdales.

Note 2 : I haven't heard a CXA 81, but my friends have told me its a very lively and bold sounding amplifier.

IMO, you will be better suited with a Audio Lab 6000A, for the following reasons

a) Audiolab and Wharfdales are under one brand name. It is mostly likely that these amplifiers will pair well with speaker produced by the same company.
b) Audiolab in general lean towards neutrality. I had auditioned Audiolab 7000A, which were fed to Wharfdales 12.3's and I liked the sound.
c) I had personally owned Brio in past and use a PM 8006 now. PM 8006 is closely related to 7000N without DAC and streamer. Whilst I love these amplifiers over Audio-lab 6000A, I believe their lush and warm and a slightly rolled off treble character may not go with Wharfdale 12.3's (which also leans towards being warm). This is my assessment. I haven't tried it personally.
d) lastly, Audiolab has a DAC, can be used as a preamp or a power amp. So upgrade path is good down the road. You may add a power amp of your choice or a pre amp to affect the sound in a meaning full way.

Note 1 : All of these amps will drive your wharf-dales with ease. Marantz will produce the most musical and the better sound stage. However Audiolab will be more suited, more neutral and better for most genres with Wharfdales.

Note 2 : I haven't heard a CXA 81, but my friends have told me its a very lively and bold sounding amplifier.
Thank you for your suggestion! I have finally purchased the Audiolab 6000A. I auditioned this amplifier with the Wharfdales and this pairing had the best sound (to my ears) and was a few levels above my Marantz NR-1200 as well.

The new dillema though is what should I do with the NR1200? What would be a good bookshelf speaker to be paired with this under 30-40K?

Thank you for your suggestion! I have finally purchased the Audiolab 6000A. I auditioned this amplifier with the Wharfdales and this pairing had the best sound (to my ears) and was a few levels above my Marantz NR-1200 as well.

The new dillema though is what should I do with the NR1200? What would be a good bookshelf speaker to be paired with this under 30-40K?
Dali Oberon 1

Oberon 1 is good and down the road, you can add a sub woofer and you have a very very good set up.

Entire Oberon series is that best comprise of price and performance as far as Dali is considered. A lot of trickled down tech from their high end offering and a very reasonable price.

Dali Oberon 1

Oberon 1 is good and down the road, you can add a sub woofer and you have a very very good set up.

Entire Oberon series is that best comprise of price and performance as far as Dali is considered. A lot of trickled down tech from their high end offering and a very reasonable price.

Forgot to mention, the white and oakwood finish, is very aesthetically pleasing as well

Congratulations. 💐 What the price you paid?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back