Need help in setting up SVS PB 1000 subwoofer with Pioneer VSX 329

Mithun Maddy

Hello All,

I need help in setting up SVS PB 1000 subwoofer with Pioneer VSX 329. My earlier setting in AVR was XOver at 80HZ and +8 DB with my Polk PSW 125 (volume 80%) which worked great.

When I connected SVS and played with same settings(+8DB XOver at 80HZ) and sub gain at 70%. The subwoofer driver over-heated after just 1 hour of playback.

Could someone help me how to properly configure the subwoofer settings in AVR and subwoofer.

Never keep the avr sub volume beyond -4db,will distort and may damage the driver.
Adjust the volume on the sub,u can start with 75% volume on the pb1k,it shuld b more than sufficient in a 1500cuft room.

Hello All,

I need help in setting up SVS PB 1000 subwoofer with Pioneer VSX 329. My earlier setting in AVR was XOver at 80HZ and +8 DB with my Polk PSW 125 (volume 80%) which worked great.

When I connected SVS and played with same settings(+8DB XOver at 80HZ) and sub gain at 70%. The subwoofer driver over-heated after just 1 hour of playback.

Could someone help me how to properly configure the subwoofer settings in AVR and subwoofer.

Mithun, is the PB1000 purchased a brand new piece ? If yes dont run it at those volumes , its mostly recommended to not go beyond 50% for atleast during burn-in post which it will surely get better. I have noticed the same happening with a SVS SB-2000 and XTZ 12.17 Edge during the initial days in a 14 by 11 feet room, but have noticed it to get better as you run it in.

Mithun, is the PB1000 purchased a brand new piece ? If yes dont run it at those volumes , its mostly recommended to not go beyond 50% for atleast during burn-in post which it will surely get better. I have noticed the same happening with a SVS SB-2000 and XTZ 12.17 Edge during the initial days in a 14 by 11 feet room, but have noticed it to get better as you run it in.
I brought a 1 year old used subwoofer. could you please let me know how to properly adjust the gain?

Never keep the avr sub volume beyond -4db,will distort and may damage the driver.
Adjust the volume on the sub,u can start with 75% volume on the pb1k,it shuld b more than sufficient in a 1500cuft room.
Would you please explain me this... By keeping it at - DB values, will the sub receive the appropriate signals?. Will i get the same thumping bass in - DB settings? I am not sure how this DB values and setting works in an AV receiver. my receiver auto set it to +2DB with sub gain at 50%.

I used svs pb1k with marantz rcvr,my room is 15x11ft and i set the sub vol @70% and avr sub trim at -5db which is more than enough. Even audyssey days not to keep sub trim above -5db in avr

I brought a 1 year old used subwoofer. could you please let me know how to properly adjust the gain?

The process i followed was as suggested by Audyssey (Denon Room EQ Wizard) , set volume on Sub to 50% and then run room calibration. Once calibrated if I felt the volume of Sub was low i used to increase the Sub level to about 60-65% and it used to be more than sufficient.

Would suggest to do something similar with Pioneer as well, you would have probably received a MIC which can be used to calibrate the speakers. Look for the same and follow the manual to calibrate the setup. Also if you have flexibility in moving the subwoofer across the room then you can google for subwoofer crawling and do the same. (Basically involves keeping the Sub at your Main Listening Position(MLP) , playing a track you are familiar with which has deep & tight bass and then crawling across the room to identify the spot where you get the most decent bass and placing the sub accordingly). For me its to the left of my MLP and 2nd best is towards the left side of the Right Front Speakers.

Assuming this sub has already completed its run-in, start with these settings on the sub:
50% volume setting (12'o clock), phase 0, LPF to LFE (5'o clock).

On the AVR - go with 80hz cross over to all your speakers, sub gain to 0db

Based on the response from the above settings, you can experiment
a) increase cross-over to surround speakers to 100/120hz and F-LCR to 100hz
b) sub gain to +/- 3db

There is no standard formula, the more time you spend analysing the performance and adjust, the better it will sound. Once you have a reasonable state of the sub+speakers, note down the settings on the sub and AVR and stop fiddling.

One more factyor is sub placement, you must spend some time to find the ideal position, if in case your room layout provides you with such option.

Assuming this sub has already completed its run-in, start with these settings on the sub:
50% volume setting (12'o clock), phase 0, LPF to LFE (5'o clock).

On the AVR - go with 80hz cross over to all your speakers, sub gain to 0db

Based on the response from the above settings, you can experiment
a) increase cross-over to surround speakers to 100/120hz and F-LCR to 100hz
b) sub gain to +/- 3db

There is no standard formula, the more time you spend analysing the performance and adjust, the better it will sound. Once you have a reasonable state of the sub+speakers, note down the settings on the sub and AVR and stop fiddling.

One more factyor is sub placement, you must spend some time to find the ideal position, if in case your room layout provides you with such option.
Thank you! This is helpful. Could you please explain how sub gain works? If i set it -DB values. The sub will receive very less signal from the receiver right? How will it play at its optimal/peak with a value in -DB? I have seen a lot of online videos/articles where people keep -11.5 DB in the AV Receiver. I am confused about this subject..

The process i followed was as suggested by Audyssey (Denon Room EQ Wizard) , set volume on Sub to 50% and then run room calibration. Once calibrated if I felt the volume of Sub was low i used to increase the Sub level to about 60-65% and it used to be more than sufficient.

Would suggest to do something similar with Pioneer as well, you would have probably received a MIC which can be used to calibrate the speakers. Look for the same and follow the manual to calibrate the setup. Also if you have flexibility in moving the subwoofer across the room then you can google for subwoofer crawling and do the same. (Basically involves keeping the Sub at your Main Listening Position(MLP) , playing a track you are familiar with which has deep & tight bass and then crawling across the room to identify the spot where you get the most decent bass and placing the sub accordingly). For me its to the left of my MLP and 2nd best is towards the left side of the Right Front Speakers.
What did Audessy set for the AV Receiver Subwoofer DB value?

Thank you! This is helpful. Could you please explain how sub gain works? If i set it -DB values. The sub will receive very less signal from the receiver right? How will it play at its optimal/peak with a value in -DB? I have seen a lot of online videos/articles where people keep -11.5 DB in the AV Receiver. I am confused about this subject..
Rather than spending much time on this, start with 12'o clock volume on the sub and 0db gain on the AVR and take it from there. This is the best way to get to an optimal position quickly and start enjoying your HT components.

Actually you should never go beyond -5 ( -3, -2 etx )
I have dual xtz 12.17 edges and even with a single sub i had never felt the need to go at those volume numbers. It was 11'o clock at the back and max -8 in the avr for the sub. Now with duals, that has also come down. ( 10'o clock at the sub back and -9 in the avr )
Turn up the gain on the back of the sub to bring out the dynamics and ive read svs itself recommends to put the sub volume at 2'o clock in their subs for proper performance but keep the gain for the sub in the avr below -5.

I think the OP here has his placement wrong which he is trying to overcome with brute force, which wont work btw. Otherwise you never need to go up at those gain numbers.

Actually you should never go beyond -5 ( -3, -2 etx )
I have dual xtz 12.17 edges and even with a single sub i had never felt the need to go at those volume numbers. It was 11'o clock at the back and max -8 in the avr for the sub. Now with duals, that has also come down. ( 10'o clock at the sub back and -9 in the avr )
Turn up the gain on the back of the sub to bring out the dynamics and ive read svs itself recommends to put the sub volume at 2'o clock in their subs for proper performance but keep the gain for the sub in the avr below -5.

I think the OP here has his placement wrong which he is trying to overcome with brute force, which wont work btw. Otherwise you never need to go up at those gain numbers.
Thank you for the information. Will look into it

Hey guys, I need some help in setting up my new system which consist of a Wiim Amp, Wharfedale EVO 4.4 and a SVS SB-1000 Sub. The EVO 4.4 has a bass extension of (-6dB) 38 Hz. So what sub settings should I use on the Wiim Amp which only has the crossover and db level options. I have set the crossover frequency on the sub to LFE and the volume to 12o'clock (50%). Only listening pleasure, no HT. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is that driver or plate amp which heats up? If it's amp, possibly it must have repaired since it's used one. Other owners here can confirm whether svs amp really heats up that much or not.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back