Need help on Amazon banana plugs on Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers

arnprasad

Hi..I do use cheap banana plugs (plastic ones costing 10-15 rupees) to connect my speaker wires to my Pioneer receiver. In this kind of banana plug, you insert the exposed wire into a hole and there is a screw type of thing that holds it and there is no exposed wire as everything is inside this plastic enclosure. The other end of the wire, I directly connect to my Pioneer speakers - directly twisting it. Since the Pioneer speaker connection looks like it too can take a banana plug, I went ahead and bought Amazon basics 6 pairs for 799. Unlike my cheap plastic banana plugs that has a screw type thing to hold - this one doesnt..which means you basically twist the exposed part. I got couple of concerns here - (i) because I have around an inch of exposed wire - twisting it and making the upper and lower parts of the banana plug is becoming a bit difficult. Also parts of the exposed wire is exposed after everything which I guess will cause it to oxidize? (ii) when I plug my banana plug to the speaker - it does go in...but still - not sure how to explain it - it is not a snug fit and it looks really bad since the banana plug itself is 1.5 to 2 inches long and it looks weird.

I checked the speaker manual and they talk about connecting the wires directly to the speaker by twisting..what I do today. Secondly I tried googling and you tube and no body has really explained what is the best way to connect the Amazon banana plugs.

So my question is - should banana plugs be used only for receivers and not for speakers and also whether this twisting way of fixing wires is the ideal thing.

Sorry about the long post.. was wondering whether I should return the banana plugs back to Amazon and just directly fix the wire to the speaker. Thx

IMO, Directed connection is the best, regardless of what kind of termination you use. Banana plugs are great if you swap gear often, saves time. Not sure has any benefits. If you dont keep exchanging gear, and let the setup be twisted should work just fine.

Exposed and loose wires can be a problem. Better to avoid. Just bought new Elacs and used wires in the old fashioned way. But since I was moving the amp and speakers around I was feeling uncomfortable with the same. I went and bought similar banana plugs from MX and asked their technician to install the wire in the plug.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back