Need Help On Room Acoustics

Lemme upload 2 pictures. you would get a fairly decent idea of what is to be done.

the panel frames could be the same as the fibre-photo-frames.

Can you post any websites to check the acoustic properties of the material? The first one is a diffuser and the second one is the absorber, right?

The idea of the above two surface finishes would show you what a wave-breaker surface should look like. You can make wave breaker surfaces in any way possible.
two points to remember : uneven surface, and porous surface finish.

Sridar sent me few images of wave breakers uploading them here.
:)

These are also called diffusers if I am not mistaken? But they look like foam and foam diffusers as I understand and experienced are not very efficient. it is better to use rigid polypropelene or even wood, but i am just a novice in these matters, so no flames please.

Cheers
Sid

Sridar, there are products available in US where it is possible to de-couple the floor from the walls. Using those we can fully achieve a "room in a room" but are very expensive.

Sridar, my idea of a basement HT was also with a view to isolate the vibrations. Correct me if I am wrong....when the foundation is built, there is soil in between four walls (ie., before you cover it with flooring of some sort). So, it is easiest at this stage to isolate the floor from the foundation/walls.

Very True indeed. It is very interesting though.

Santosh - I was involved in 2-3 basement HT's in the US. For all of them we used a material called acoustiblok which is a dense foam like material between the ceiling of the basement and any shared walls and there was no transmission of HF noise as well as low frequency vibration. At a very high volume setting - above normal - maybe 100db and above we could hear a dull. diffused noise at best. It is a relatively inexpensive material and am not sure if it available here, but maybe Sridar can enlighten us.
Cheers
Sid

Foams are the only materials that absorb sound.
Polypropylene etc would reflect it.
Wood/ply would perform the same.

You would remember, the older theatres/movie halls had straw-boards installed on the rear walls. By its external nature it was quite rough and did not provide a single plane surface.

Additionally, sound-proofing as an end, is 30% materials and 70% technique.
It is not one, or the other, it is both !
One could say that even if I use shitty materials, and my techniques are right, I would get a substantial sound-proofing effect. This is quite true.
But as seekers of high performance, one should be using high-end materials and the correct techniques.

The best soundproofing materials would fail if the techniques were incorrect.
Noise absorption co-efficients of the materials are mainly for generic materials and not
for specific products like the pyramid surface etc.
A 'google search' on the sound absorption would throw up the answers for those who wish to use these as guidelines.

Hey Sid,

I was referring to structural vibrations caused by low frequency noise.

This is structure transmitted and not air-borne noise.

When we deal with the issue of noise, we have to first get a frequency mapping and see the peaks of the low and hi-frequency noises.
A noise data sampling has to be done for that particular noise source, and then, the materials/techniques are chosen.

Foams are the only materials that absorb sound.
Polypropylene etc would reflect it.
Wood/ply would perform the same.

Ok I am slightly confused. I meant that diffusers should be based on polypropylene or wood - not absorbers - as diffusers should disperse/reflect sound and not absorb, but the photos looked like foam based diffusers. Anyways as I said before I am just a novice so please ignore my comments. In my very limited experience I have found that foam does not absorb low frequencies below 300-400hz, you need more dense material - and also in my limited experience low frequencies (200 hz and below all the way to 30 hz) are the hardest to tame in any room - excuse me again as I am probably mistaken in this.
Anyways good advice all around - glad to have a professional on the forum.
Cheers,
Sid

Hey Sid,

I was referring to structural vibrations caused by low frequency noise.

This is structure transmitted and not air-borne noise.

When we deal with the issue of noise, we have to first get a frequency mapping and see the peaks of the low and hi-frequency noises.
A noise data sampling has to be done for that particular noise source, and then, the materials/techniques are chosen.

You are right, though in my limited experience when you locate a subwoofer on poured concrete in a basement setting the structural vibration that is transmitted to upper floors is almost negligible . Of-couse if the sub woofer is on upper floors this will be a issue but at-least what I have seen is that in a basement with acoustiblok it is a non-issue. Anyways mine are just observations of an amateur so not really scientific and backed up with experiences of a professional.
Cheers
Sid

Anyways - this is what I understand:
Soundproofing and acoustic treatment of listening spaces are two different things entirely as the first involves preventing sound waves from traveling outside the space and the second involves controlling the waves inside the space itself.
The methods to achieve both are also different but may overlap because if one uses a sound absorber in a room then that sound will not escape from the room.
Anyways one way to make a sound proof room is to build a room in a room, that is use double wall thickness and fill the space between the two walls with material such as:
Soundproofing | Soundproofing Materials or other insulation material.
For treating a room for better acoustics I have been told to stay away from foam and use either rock wool or pink insulation or other denser materials and indeed most of the acoustic panel suppliers use the same. There are some foam based acoustic panels as well - for instance auralex - but they seem to take care of higher frequencies only.
Cheers
Sid

In my case I treated all my walls with Anutone Synth, Anutone acoustic board and third layer with fabric from top to bottom. I haven't done any acoustic treatment for the ceiling. My ceiling is Gypsum board POP and Mr. Praveen from Anutone told me ceiling does not require any treatment and If I have to treat ceiling then I need to demolish my existing ceiling and I was not in favor of it.
As I understand the above material will act as sound absorber but with my little knowledge on acoustic treatment for dedicated HT room there should be mix of reflection and absorption, now my worry is whether my room has become a dead room? How will I test whether all the frequency is travelling to the listener ear without getting absorbed in between? If it is happening then Do I need to go for a diffuser or reflection board on top of absorption board?

Regards,

Santosh

Last edited:
. I haven't done any acoustic treatment for the ceiling. My ceiling is Gypsum board POP and Mr. Praveen from Anutone told me ceiling does not require any treatment and If I have to treat ceiling then I need to demolish my existing ceiling and I was not in favor of it.
Regards,

Santosh

Santosh - what is the height of your ceiling?
Cheers
Sid

just read what I had first posted.

1. First you stop the sound leaving the room
2. You stop the internal echo.

If you do not stop the echo, you would be getting a lot of interference of the sound waves, and a lot of different sounds from what is emitted by you speakers.

The hilly foam is to prevent the echo.

End of story.

From the site I had given the links to;

SOFT SOUND Studio Foam
Designed to improve sound quality and speech clarity by reducing echo. Excellent acoustic performance combined with a variety of architectural textures, sizes and colors.

Details on SOFT SOUND Studio Foam
The SOFT SOUND family of acoustic panels is designed to improve sound quality and speech clarity within a space. They are, in essence, premium sound & noise absorbing wall coverings. Our acoustic panels are a perfect marriage of form and function. Excellent acoustic performance combines with a multitude of finishes, sizes and configurations for limitless design potential. The craftsmanship and materials are of the highest standards available on the market.

We offer an in-stock selection of our SOFT SOUND acoustic panels in the most popular sizes and fabric coverings. These acoustic panels are available and ready to ship. We also offer custom acoustic panels to fit your need.
fabric coverings are 100% recycled polyester
choose from commercial or designer series fabric coverings
same day shipping on in-stock panels
applications include: auditorium, gymnasium, classroom, houses of worship
restaurant, office, conference room, recording studio, theater
home, home theater, apartment, condo

see the pictures on the site.

end of story

Sound Absorption application categories:
Home Theater Acoustics
Studio Acoustics
Office / Conference Room Acoustics
Gymnasium / Multipurpose / Meeting Hall Acoustics
Church / Place of Worship Acoustics
Restaurant / Lounge Acoustics
Industrial / OEM Acoustics
Acoustic Ceiling Tiles

You guys seem to be
picking up what you choose to pick up, and
reject what you choose to reject.

If you have already gone half way through with smooth faced and reflective panels,
It would be a good idea to take a turnaround and evaluate this

POP etc would have to be provided with a rough exterior finish to break the waves.

sridar

I am in, no way, related to that company
except as a buyer of their materials.

And, there is no need to buy their materials ( boy ! they are expensive ! ), when you
could, with a little ingenuity, fabricate them.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back