Need help - Onkyo 606 and HK Sub issue

chella

Hi everybody,

Greetings!!
It is nice to see such a wonderful Indian HiFi forum. Accidently I found this site when I try to find a solution for my AVR/Sub issue.Hope I will get good solution for my problem over here..

I have a Onkyo 606 AVR and HK HT system.I bought both from USA.I am using stepdown transformer to connect my AVR and Sub.Yesterday the Transformer started giving some strange noise after that the AVR and Sub is stopped working.I have tried so many times since yesterday and I couldn't figure out the actual issue.Both are not working.

Can you please tell me what could be the actual problem? and Is there any soultion to fix this issue? I am looking for a solution from you guys..

Thanks,
Chella

Hi Chella

If your Transformer is producing noise, please do the check it up first and without doing that dont try to operate it which may damage your Amp and Sub and do check the power handling capacity of your Transformer (Volts, Wattage etc.,)

Thanks

sub

Did you have a voltage stabilizer? The AVR might have gone into protect mode but the sub could be toast though it is not that big of a fix or cost only if the fuse has blown. You could change it yourself.

Did you call the manufacturer and tell them about the issues? They are usually good at suggesting some preliminary next steps.

Hi marsilians&sub,

I appreciate your response.
Actually my Stepdown transformer is having Voltage stabilizer also.

Please tell me What should I do if the AVR is gone into protect mode?
Regarding Subwoofer,I received email from HK customer care, The following is the reply from them.

"Probably the best thing to do is remove the AC power cord from your wall outlet and take out the screws that go around the circumference of the amplifier's input plate. After doing this you should be able to pull the amplifier's input plate out away from the cabinet. If you look where the AC power cord goes through the metal input plate there should be a fuse. Hopefully a blown fuse is the cause.
"

I dont understand what they are talking abt.I just confused because of the term Amplifier here.Is it AVR's amplifier (or) Subwoofer's amplifier?..Can you please explain me the meaning.

My knowledge is "Zero" in Electronic subject.

Once again my Thanks,

Chella

AVR has a processor (pre-amp) and an amplifier section built in and this is the reason it does not need external amplifier to produce sound.

Did you read the AVR manual (trouble shooting section) or contact the manufacturer?

I dont understand what they are talking abt.I just confused because of the term Amplifier here.Is it AVR's amplifier (or) Subwoofer's amplifier?..Can you please explain me the meaning.

My knowledge is "Zero" in Electronic subject.

Having said this, I very strongly suggest for someone with some basic knowledge of electronics to be around you during the repair of the sub as well as you could end up damaging it altogether if you don't know what and where to look for.

Chella:

The first thing you have to do is isolate the issue. Is the issue with the step down transformer or with the AVR/Sub.

Disconnect the AVR and the sub from the step down transformer. Get a local electrician to come with a multi meter. He should set it to 110 volts, and let him check whether the step down transformer is outputting any current at all. If not, you are reasonably safe with your sub and AVR.

Once you have isolated the issue, check if there is any fuse in the step down transformer that can be replaced. If not it has to be checked by the company/shop from where you bough it.

I would also suggest you check the capacity of the transformer in terms of load handling.

Once you have isolated the issue, we can see what is to be done next.

Cheers

Venkat,

I will follow what you suggested. Now, I am just bothering abt the repairing cost.Its pretty new setup Just one month old.My Bro in law bought it from USA.

Please tell me what will happedn if 240V passed directly into the AVR and Sub Woofer?. Will it affect the entire system?. How to reset it if it is gone into protected mode?..

Regards,
Chella

lease tell me what will happedn if 240V passed directly into the AVR and Sub Woofer?. Will it affect the entire system?. How to reset it if it is gone into protected mode?..

My god!!! Have you done this? If will simply burn the internal circuits. In all probability your power units within the AVR and/or sub will be fried. If this has happened your units will have to be repaired by the manufacturer or his representative.

Please don't even think of that.

Cheers

Last edited:
Venkat,

I
Please tell me what will happedn if 240V passed directly into the AVR and Sub Woofer?. Will it affect the entire system?.
Regards,
Chella

Pray loudly that this has not happened. As Venkat said your unit may be a dead weight. And I dont believe Onkyo manuf warranty covers this kind of damage.

I never connected the system into 240V diretly..I am just asking what will happen if the Step down tranformer passed 240V due to the issue on it?..Is it possible to send 240V from step down diretly to the AVR?..

I am just afraid abt this and that is what I asked that question..But the integrated stabilizes in the stepdown still shows 110V only..Lot of confusion..aaahhhh..

I never connected the system into 240V diretly..I am just asking what will happen if the Step down tranformer passed 240V due to the issue on it?..Is it possible to send 240V from step down diretly to the AVR?..

This is generally impossible. The step down will either send 110 or just stop working. It cannot send 240 unless the input and output circuits have somehow got fused and the internal transformers are side stepped completely. This is very very rare possibility.

I am just afraid abt this and that is what I asked that question..But the integrated stabilizes in the stepdown still shows 110V only..Lot of confusion..aaahhhh..

I am just praying that your step down has got spoilt and your AVR and Sub are in good shape. Just get that electrician and check things out.

Cheers

Venkat,Marsilians&Sub,

I appreciate your help..

The issue has been fixed.Yes,Yesterday I checked the stepdowm transformer using Multimeter..It was showing 110V only..So I confirmed nothing wrong with Power supply..Then I Opened my Sub and check the fuse..It was aslo fine..Then I disconnected all the speaker cables,Sub Cables from the AVR and connected only AVR's power card to the Step down ..Hurray!! It started working and I connected Sub cable into the AVR and SUu was also started working...

Yeah,The issue was one of the speaker cable touched the AVR cabinet and caused this issue..I have got this trouble shooting info from this thread only..

Still my Stepdown giving strange noise..This will take care by the guy who sold step down to me...He promised me to replace the new one..

At last I saved some bucks and tension...
Thanks a lot frnds for your great support...

Cheers,
Chella

Yeah,The issue was one of the speaker cable touched the AVR cabinet and caused this issue..

hi chella

i am glad that your issue has been resolved. it sounds like the cable is shorting when it comes in contact with avr. do you see any bare copper wire?

also i would not use my ht until the step down is fixed. for a few hours worth of wait you may potentially save lots of rupiah as it does not sound right with the noise. mine is quite as a mouse.

Hi Chella,
Good to know the problem is solved, but the strange noise (humming kind) from Transformer can cause more damage to AVR and Sub unless dealt with atonce.

Regards
Sub

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back