Need help selecting an AVR: Yamaha RX-V685 or Denon X1500H

Thanks, Love4sound. I have space for front floorstanders.
It is hard to get a demo of Taga, I will try to look in ownership reviews and compare with Polk. I am tilting towards Polk floorstanders + Polk center instead of Taga 5.0 in the same budget for now and look at olx for 2 more speakers

Thanks Hari, would you happen to know offhand if Polk Fusion T series or Taga 506 are warm sounding?

Which Polk towers? Only model I can think about in that budget is the T series. I don’t know about it’s performance. If you can audition do check and let us know how they sound.

Thanks Hari, would you happen to know offhand if Polk Fusion T series or Taga 506 are warm sounding?

Speaker selection is personal choice, Addition is better, some are good at hf and week at LF. I never auditioned both of them. I recommend which I used , like Pioneer FS52, very very balanced at all (LF, HF and MF), Boston Acoustics - good at LF, HF and week in Mid. I would suggest Front left and right for Floor standing (if your budget allows). Sony Center channel (SSCS-8) excellent for vokal (through clear Audio+ technology).

Thanks guys, it sounds like, large subwoofer is more important for movies rather than going for Polk instead of Taga for speakers? So out of my speaker budget, I should spend ~40-50% on the subwoofer and remaining on 5.0 or better yet 3.0 speaker setup for now and get 2 more later?

Also, could you guys suggest what priority order among below subs I should try getting?
Thanks!
  1. Taga Harmony TSW-200
  2. Yamaha NS-SW300 / YST-SW315PN
  3. BIC America F12
  4. Elac S10
  5. Polk Audio PSW111
  6. Wharfedale D10

Add these subs also from POLK

HTS 10
HTS 12

Usually Profix (Polk Dealers) rope in some discount on purchase....can be anything between 10 to 15%....you need to push for it. Audition with them as they stock Yamaha avrs and polk speakers......then strike a good deal.

Hey guys,
Since I will be getting a dedicated sub (mostly Yamaha SW300), are floorstanding speakers for my front LR really worth? I've seen many suggestions that if there is a dedicated sub, then set the front LR speakers to small in the AVR settings, set crossover to 80Hz and let the sub produce the base. In that case, the dedicated bass drivers of the floorstanders is going waste, isn't it, since it is not getting any base input from the AVR?
So should I better buy better bookshelves in the same budget instead of floorstanders? Also the Taga Harmony 506 v2 floorstanders that I was looking at, has 2 bass drivers, 1 midrange and 1 tweeter. So the 2 bass drivers in each speaker will get wasted in my scenario, if there is dedicated sub?

Are there any other scenarios like music or stereo content like Youtube, where floorstanders would do better than bookshelves?

Hey guys,
Since I will be getting a dedicated sub (mostly Yamaha SW300), are floorstanding speakers for my front LR really worth? I've seen many suggestions that if there is a dedicated sub, then set the front LR speakers to small in the AVR settings, set crossover to 80Hz and let the sub produce the base. In that case, the dedicated bass drivers of the floorstanders is going waste, isn't it, since it is not getting any base input from the AVR?
So should I better buy better bookshelves in the same budget instead of floorstanders? Also the Taga Harmony 506 v2 floorstanders that I was looking at, has 2 bass drivers, 1 midrange and 1 tweeter. So the 2 bass drivers in each speaker will get wasted in my scenario, if there is dedicated sub?

Are there any other scenarios like music or stereo content like Youtube, where floorstanders would do better than bookshelves?
You can’t say it is going waste. It will handle the bass till 80hz. And the subwoofer will give you more punch nd go low. And floorstanders vs bookshelves it’s a different topic. For a small room bookshelves are more then enough.

Hey guys,

You first need to decide between bookshelf speakers or floorstanders......from a placement perspective! Then once you have made up your mind, decide on the budget you will spend for them. After this read the specs of available brands and decide which ones meet your expectations....

In the good old cassette days.....there were large tower or floor standing speakers which incorporated large woofers like 8 inch or 10 inch and even 12 inch.......there was never a need to add a sub as bass was handled well.....(30 to 40 hz) which was more than enough from a music perspective......

Nowadays due to space constraints,,,,most prefer bookshelfs and subs.......subs seem to handle the low frequencies well and put less strain on the avr / amp......midbass and highs are taken care by the bookshelf or satellite speakers.......

Bottomline trust your ears more.....read a few reviews to steer your decision and interest and then take a call.....

In that case, the dedicated bass drivers of the floorstanders is going waste, isn't it, since it is not getting any base input from the AVR?

Not going waste, but not fully utilised..

Also the Taga Harmony 506 v2 floorstanders that I was looking at, has 2 bass drivers, 1 midrange and 1 tweeter. So the 2 bass drivers in each speaker will get wasted in my scenario, if there is dedicated sub?

Unfortunately, there aren't many 5.0 Bookshelf speakers package in the price range as 506v2 (20K)..But, if there are options you may consider them too..

Taga inmove series is a 5.0 BS speaker package, at 25K mark or less.. You may check with dealers on aval in your area (or) procure online if they are aval..

Thanks guys. Space wise I am good with both Floorstanders and bookshelf. Me and my better half both like the look of floorstanders in the room so no issue there :)

Even though I will be setting this gear up in a 12x12 room right now, I may move it to a 17x11 living room later on, not sure though. That being at the back of my mind, I want to avoid getting an underpowered setup for 17x11 by skimping just to save 10-15K.

Alternatively you may consider Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 AVR capable of either 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4 Atmos layout..
The thought of getting a 9.1 receiver and setting up 5.1.4 keeps pulling me back to drawing board. There is 9.2 channel Marantz SR6012 available on Amazon for 90K and on hifimart for 100K. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting this AVR (future proofing to 5.1.4) that I can enjoy for 10+ years.
Along with the Marantz, I'm thinking of getting a pair of preowned Taga F60SL as LR (about 25K), Taga C100 for center (15K). Taga 806S pair for surround and a Yamaha SW300 sub. May skip the sub for now and get later along with another 2 more pairs of Taga806S for 4 height channels.
Would the Taga F60SL be a good timber match to Taga C100 and 806S ?

My budget seems be be going up like the INR to USD rate :oops: I've now resigned to the fact that I'll be shelling out nearly 1.5L at first shot and more later to complete the 5.1.4. I'm now worried about how the gear will sound in an sound-untreated room (may not sound worth 2L well spent) so not sure if I may have to do something for reflections/sound absorption later on. I had taken a demo @ The Sound Factor in Pune and the HT room they had was treated with acoustic panels on both sidewalls. If I can get my setup to sound similar to that, 2L would be worth spent.

Even though I will be setting this gear up in a 12x12 room right now, I may move it to a 17x11 living room later on, not sure though. That being at the back of my mind, I want to avoid getting an underpowered setup for 17x11 by skimping just to save 10-15K.

The thought of getting a 9.1 receiver and setting up 5.1.4 keeps pulling me back to drawing board.

Perfect.. Then you may choose a 9.2 capable, with or without 11.2 pre-outs for future expansion..

Pioneer LX 303 is a 9.2 AVR, capable of 5.1.4 (or) 7.1.2 with no pre-outs.. Abt 70K or less, depending on your negotiation skills..

Marantz SR 6012 / Denon x 4500 / Onkyo TX RZ 730 are all 9.2 capable AVR with 11.2 pre-outs.. Where you can complete 7.2.4 set-up..

Along with the Marantz, I'm thinking of getting a pair of preowned Taga F60SL as LR (about 25K), Taga C100 for center (15K). Taga 806S pair for surround and a Yamaha SW300 sub. May skip the sub for now and get later along with another 2 more pairs of Taga806S for 4 height channels.Would the Taga F60SL be a good timber match to Taga C100 and 806S ?

25K for a preowned Taga F60SL is a good price.. Same for Taga C100 as well.. Taga Platinum series is a higher offering than that of TAV series (806 or other series)..

Taga 806 BS speaker have keyhole mounts, which means it is easy to mount on walls.. But to hang them from ceiling, it is better if the speaker have threaded hole inserts, which we can use with external brackets..The 806 don't have such provision.. Best would be to use the speakers as front & rear hrights using speaker brackets and tilt towards listening position..

You may consider an alternate if you like them.. The least expensive BS from Taga Platinum series is S90 SL.. You may consider 5 pairs ( 5 x 12K/pair = 60K) of the same speakers.. This will give you the advantage of 10 identical speakers, to complete 6.1.4 in any room size.. (FL,C,FR, SL, SR, SSB).. You may add subwoofer anytime..

You may choose what you deem fit according to your budget and flexibility in the room..

I have a Yamaha NS-F71 Front Tower & NS-P51 Center and rear surrounds . Which are really good than Taga TAV series .In Budget of 35k

It was almost an year i have been using them without Sub and it was good .Now i am planning to add an Sub for it SW300 or an BIC F12 .

Sameway you can spend good on AVR and Speakers then later you can add an Sub on your Budget .

I have a Yamaha NS-F71 Front Tower & NS-P51 Center and rear surrounds . Which are really good than Taga TAV series .In Budget of 35k

It was almost an year i have been using them without Sub and it was good .Now i am planning to add an Sub for it SW300 or an BIC F12 .

Sameway you can spend good on AVR and Speakers then later you can add an Sub on your Budget .
Hi Dinesh, I am new to the forum. Looking for Yamaha setup. Yamaha RX-V485/585+NS-333+NS-P51 and SW200 fits in my budget. Didn't find many threads on Yamaha speakers. How about NS-P51 how the center sound. Any idea how this will pair up with NS-333. I am looking for compact setup with good output. Though my room is big but TV watching are is pretty small and listening distance is around 6-7 feet. Layout also attached if that helps.

Attachments

• Room Layout.png
    Room Layout.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi
I was also looking for an AVR in recent days. Done some findings and finally shortlisted Yamaha RX 585 which is an good and more reliable entry level 7.2 .( feedback I got from dealers and FM )
NS333 is Yamaha premium set of speakers good in quality of sound.
NS P51 is an entry level Center and surrounds channel speakers which does justice for the price .I am satisfied with it.

Yamaha speakers have a wide range of collection from a small HT to an commercial outdoor speakers which requires more R&D .It is all dealers choice to promote any products.I personally feal they dint disappointed me.

Regarding the sub don't settle down now with this budget rather you can buy Tower speaker than an Bookshelf and skip Sub for now .
Try to save money over the time and buy a good sub instead buying sub forcefully now.As I also started to explore on a budget of 10- 15 k later realized that it will make your sound experience worse with many of the FM reviews .So I have settled down with an budget of 30- 35k for my new sub .Not for an best sound but atleat a decent experience.
As you are new it is always good to learn and experience then decide.All the best for your new HT setup.

Hi Dinesh, I am new to the forum. Looking for Yamaha setup. Yamaha RX-V485/585+NS-333+NS-P51 and SW200 fits in my budget. Didn't find many threads on Yamaha speakers. How about NS-P51 how the center sound. Any idea how this will pair up with NS-333. I am looking for compact setup with good output. Though my room is big but TV watching are is pretty small and listening distance is around 6-7 feet. Layout also attached if that helps.
Also i observed your listening position is not straight & may not give a good experience of sound .

I've ordered Marantz SR6012, thank you elangoas for suggesting 9.x direction! :) Yamaha SW300 is also pretty much a final thing. With these settled, and ditching the 806S, I am now contemplating the following options for speakers:
  1. Preowned F60SL (25K) + C-100 (15K)+ S-90SL (12K): Total 52K
  2. Preowned F60SL (25K) + LCR60SL (13K) + S-90SL (12K) : Total 50K
Pairing C-100 with F60SL (option1) was my first choice - usage is 90% movies so want the center to be more punchy. I am now also looking at option2 for better timber match? Platinum C-100 is 150W rms and 90db (could go much louder), whereas Platinum LCR60SL is 110W rms and 89db, but LCR60SL could timber blend better due to being same "SL" series as F60SL? Not sure how big of an impact LCR60 over C100 would yield through slightly better timber match.

May not be possible to audition option 1 vs 2 back to back, so I may have to finalize based on you guys' feedback and gut instinct.

I've ordered Marantz SR6012, thank you elangoas for suggesting 9.x direction! :) Yamaha SW300 is also pretty much a final thing. With these settled, and ditching the 806S, I am now contemplating the following options for speakers:
  1. Preowned F60SL (25K) + C-100 (15K)+ S-90SL (12K): Total 52K
  2. Preowned F60SL (25K) + LCR60SL (13K) + S-90SL (12K) : Total 50K
Pairing C-100 with F60SL (option1) was my first choice - usage is 90% movies so want the center to be more punchy. I am now also looking at option2 for better timber match? Platinum C-100 is 150W rms and 90db (could go much louder), whereas Platinum LCR60SL is 110W rms and 89db, but LCR60SL could timber blend better due to being same "SL" series as F60SL? Not sure how big of an impact LCR60 over C100 would yield through slightly better timber match.

May not be possible to audition option 1 vs 2 back to back, so I may have to finalize based on you guys' feedback and gut instinct.

Hi
Looking to hear from you on the Yamaha Sw300 performance . Pls post some comments once you have got them .

Yamaha SW300 is also pretty much a final thing.

When you have a sub (or) subs, you can safely skip the FS.. A FS will not help anyway when you have a sub as you will set those speakers to SMALL in speaker settings and use the crossover at 80Hz in the AVR.. You may as well consider adding a 2nd identical sub in near future..

Pairing C-100 with F60SL (option1) was my first choice - usage is 90% movies

I understand you are getting the F60SL for a very good price.. Upto you to decide..

so want the center to be more punchy.

A center speaker reproduces dialogues most of the times..Hope, when you say punchy you mean the clear dialogues..

I am now also looking at option2 for better timber match? Platinum C-100 is 150W rms and 90db (could go much louder), whereas Platinum LCR60SL is 110W rms and 89db, but LCR60SL could timber blend better due to being same "SL" series as F60SL? Not sure how big of an impact LCR60 over C100 would yield through slightly better timber match.

The difference between C-100 (90dB) vs LCR60SL (89dB) isn't much.. 1dB difference, may not be a significant benefit..

"SL" is a slim series from Taga.. Which have very compact dimensions.. mix matching SL series with regular platinum speakers would be just fine..

I use 5 x LCR60SL for my Left, Center, Right, Surr Left, Surr right and pretty happy with it..

May not be possible to audition option 1 vs 2 back to back, so I may have to finalize based on you guys' feedback and gut instinct

Option 3 incase you like them.. 3 pieces x LCR60 SL + S90SL (pair) ~ 52K

LCR60 SL x 3 pieces for left, center, right.. perfectly timbre matched as you are using the same speakers.. and a pair of S90SL for your surrounds (or) use an other pair of LCR60SL itself for greater consistency for surrounds..

The other advantage of LCR60SL is that they are wall mountable both horizontally & vertically.. So they don't take floor space..

If you are going to mount the LCR horizontally for the center channel, please consider the dispersion pattern of it. I reckon this has a narrow dispersion from side to side if horizontally mounted and can have a slightly different sound on off-axis, in a bad way. Usually, these are vertically mounted. Won't be a problem for someone who's on-axis with the speaker. I have not listened to this LCR60SL before but, I assumed it's dispersion pattern by looking at the arrangement of the drivers. Please audition and take the call.

Cheers :)

Back