Need Help: Slow transfer speed over LAN

Its wired network, 4 year old Linksys WRT610N is used as primary internet gateway flashed with dd-wrt whose wifi is disabled. It also serves as DHCP server in network with WRT54GL connected just as Access Point.

I haven't understood your point, although I should have considering my education background :D

Can you please explain it a bit more layman-ly.

Its wired network, 4 year old Linksys WRT610N is used as primary internet gateway flashed with dd-wrt whose wifi is disabled. It also serves as DHCP server in network with WRT54GL connected just as Access Point.

I haven't understood your point, although I should have considering my education background :D

Can you please explain it a bit more layman-ly.

Let me try...

Primary internet gateway = Default gateway i.e. where the WAN (the ISP cable) connects to the main router (the local LAN). Simply put where you connect your internet connection cable to the primary router.

DHCP server = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), i.e. where the router also acts as a server and assigns IPs to all the devices connected to it. Simply put you can have only one IP per device and multiple devices cannot use the same IP at the same time. So basically DHCP server lets each device (smartphone, tablet, phablet) have their own individual IP and connect via the main IP given by the ISP. Without this only one device can use the internet at a time.

Access Point = A protocol to connect wireless devices to a wired network and used in the old days, but today all routers also act as Access Points and as such no need for a separate Access Point device.

Made it as layman-ly as possible and if I still missed the boat, my apologies.

No worries, neither did I learn these in my education days, its only after you buy or are about to buy certain things that you make researches, the same happened for me and probably happens for everyone else, or otherwise every other physics / electronics grad will come out as audiophile straight from their grad school and every computer grad will understand that dedicated CDPs give a better bitperfect output than a computer CD Rom drive (at least I never understood until I embarked upon HT research) :)

What I was trying to say is that, until recent times the WRT610N with high gain antennas was my primary router which was connected in its WAN port to a cheap TP-Link 740 router which hosted the connection to internet (from local PARA cable). So the WRT610N was a child under TP Link connected via wired and both had their own LAN segments which could be operated independently.

So when I did not need range, I used the TP-Link Wifi alone and only when I needed range I used to additionally switch on the 610N. This ran fine for almost 2+ years until now when for the last couple of months 610N was showing wifi connection issues (its already aged 4 years +).

So I bought another WRT54GL router, renowned primarily for its stability over long duration usage and wanted to use it just replacing my 610N. But after I purchased it, I was surprised to see that it does not have DHCP reservation capability which was must for some of my LAN devices like NAS, Raspberry Pi with RuneAudio running as audio player to properly work although there were some workarounds none of which were acceptible to me including flashing the stable Linux firware of the 54GL with DD-WRT custom firmware. So I swapped the 54GL in place of the 610N and disabled wifi on the 610N to still use it in place of the TP Link 740 to host the connection to the internet. Because the WRT610N had a very feature rich DD-WRT firmware, I am using it as DHCP server and 54GL 's DHCP server is not in use.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Btw expecting 100mbps speed is far fetched :D

If you copy a large file from one folder and paste it into another folder on the same hard disk also the avg transfer speed will not touch 100 mbps.

If you copy a large file from one folder and paste it into another folder on the same hard disk also the avg transfer speed will not touch 100 mbps.

No dear, from my personal experience making a copy of the same file on the same HDD can go at least 50 MB/s (for the specific HDD model I have tested and also considering its age and degree of fragmentation) which is 400 mbps and the slow speed is due to the read and write happening from the same platter inside the HDD. However copying files over network I have got max 85 MB/s ~ 720 mbps. If you have USB 3 HDD and compatible port, I have seen transfers speeds go as high as 110 MB/s steady ~ 880 mbps. So almost all of these surpass the ethernet 100 mbps speed and hence the inclination towards gigabit (future provisions). Btw if you have two PCs each having SSDs then a transfer between the two may be bottle necked by even a gigabit network, but that is not the most common situation in our homes.

Going by how Saikat has set up the LAN and internet, a unmanaged switch came to my mind.

How about using this switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1008D) to set up the gigabit LAN and connect existing router to it for providing the Internet to the LAN? Will that work?

Not sure its going to solve your problem unless you are looking to wire the entire house with cat 6 ethernet cable and possibly change NIC for devices that don't have Gigabit Ethernet.

I'd recommend an AC router instead. Works much better and is more flexible.

Or powerline adapters.

Get much higher speeds with AC router and compatible devices, heck even USB 3.0 is faster.

Get much higher speeds with AC router and compatible devices, heck even USB 3.0 is faster.

Well I havn't experienced speeds with an AC router. However from my experience, with USB 3.0 from an ext WD USB 3.0 HDD connected to a USB 3.0 port on the laptop I have not seen it cross 70mbps. (For a copy operation i.e. Read/Write)

The Laptop is an HP Pavilion G6.

So between regular run of the mill devices I assume he should also be getting the same speeds.

Well I havn't experienced speeds with an AC router.

You must, have not hit Gigabit speeds yet, but routinely and depending on both the equipment involved and the distance, I get anywhere from 190 mbps to all the way 500+ mbps. The average is typically 290 mbps or thereabouts, but then I have only 3 802.11ac devices that I've tested on. For the most part the wireless is strictly limited to ISP and local streaming of audio and video, which never really crosses 50 mbps. But I'll admit the speeds really drop off beyond a certain distance (typically 20 feet) as 5 GHz is extremely limited in distance.

However from my experience, with USB 3.0 from an ext WD USB 3.0 HDD connected to a USB 3.0 port on the laptop I have not seen it cross 70mbps. (For a copy operation i.e. Read/Write)

The Laptop is an HP Pavilion G6.

So between regular run of the mill devices I assume he should also be getting the same speeds.

I get 185 mbps to 220 mbps typically and that's even using an external USB 3.0 hub to connect USB pen drives and external HDDs. I must admit that the PC OS runs on an SSD so that might be giving the added boost. Still no comparison to Thunderbolt (and I'm no Apple fan) that easily hits over 300 mbps and even touches 350 mbps on occasion. Still considering the extreme pricing of Thunderbolt devices (especially external HDDs and portable HDDs) I cannot justify Thunderbolt over USB 3.0.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back