Need help to choose my HT

@selvakumar - Seeing your sources and requirements the Audioengine A5 make an excellent choice. I would want you to audition them, not sure where they are available in your place, but others from the forum should help out. They come with so many connectivity options that its a breeze connecting them to the PC and even a DVDP. No need of an amp or AVR. They will cost around 18K and for music you will be totally satisfied.

For 5.1, you will have a very good system in the Onkyo 5100, costing around 38-40K. This will be very good for movies and you can go for it budget permitting or wait till you have the required finances. Till then the Audioengine A5 will suffice for both the PC and the DVDP. Also other alternatives in the entry level segment with the Onkyo 3100/3105 exist and will be good for movies via the DVDP. If you can source the Philips 4750 even that should be good, but I think it's not available any longer.

To sum it up, do audition the Audioengine A5. For 18-20K you will be surprised at what they do especially for playing music on the PC. Also, you can plug them direct to the DVDP and use them for the odd movies too or even connect to the TV. A couple of my friends bought them just to connect to their LCD/Plasma TVs because the audio from the LCDs and Plasmas is average at best and they are now very happy with the audio via the Audioengine A5.

Yes, as you all friends advice, I am keep on testing. As of now I postpone my purchase and concentrate on different HT analyse.

@srikarkav,

I am checking Yamaha as well as Marantz (now only I am hearing this brand). Thank you very much friend.

Well, Moser, you had to go and do this to another member, eh!:)

Anyway - Selvakumar, if you are thinking about going the PC way, do remember that there only two ways you can deliver sound to your speakers. Either by using powered speakers (such as Audioengine A5 or A2) or by using an external amplifier - such as an AVR.

Regardless of which option you take, remember that the PC is, in essence your CD player or DVD player. So, a quality sound card or a quality DAC is a must. And AVRs being AVRs, it is best that you invest in a good quality sound card at around 10K and then connect the analog outs from the PC sound card to the analog inputs of your AVR. That way you are getting the sound card to do the digital to analog conversion. Based on my experience if you are working with AVRs of value less than Rs. 50000, this connection pattern (analog outs to AVR) will be far superior than just passing audio through SPDIF (Coaxial).

In essence it is pointless to use just the Coaxial output from the PC even after investing in a quality sound card. This is, of course, specifically for music. There are sound cards where you can have two connections made in parallel - digital and analog and switch between the connections using the software driver.

A few sound card options for you are - ESI Juli, Azuntech Prelude and ASUS Xonar Essence/D2X.

Do note that you will not need an AVR if you have a powered speaker (a speaker which has an amplifier inbuilt). However you should also consider that such powered speakers will not be able to recognize signals encoded in, say, DTS or Dolby Digital etc. Those fall under the premise of the AVRs. Again considering your 85% preference for music, I dont think this should stop you from considering powered speakers - sans any AVR. You might even be able to work out a very ecnomical, yet powerful solution this way.

Lastly many studio monitors are built for near field listening. You must audition the Audioengine or similar speakers to see if you get room filling sound and imaging even if you sit a few feet away from the equipment. Maybe the Audioengine owners in this forum can fill us all in regarding this.

And I forgot to mention one thing. I have had numerous auditions of music with Marantz and Yamaha AVRs and one thing is apparent. The Yamaha is no match for the Marantz in music just as the Marantz cannot match the Yamaha in dynamic movie impact.

I have not heard the RX863, but I have heard the RX663 on numerous occassions, with a variety of speakers.

Friends I have one doubt.

Shall I go for Yamaha or Onkyo AV receiver and for speaker, can i purchase creative for just 4K type. whether it will match. For budget point of view am asking this.

why I am asking this... AV receiver I can not change or upgrade. So I planned to purchase it with maximum amount say 35K. For speakers, I will upgrade in future. For time being, Shall i go for creative speakers at the range of 4K?.

Please suggest me

Creative are PC speakers and will work without AVR. If you can spend a little bit more then go for Altec Lansing MX-5021, they will cost around 6K and are very good PC speakers especially for music.

Coming to AVR, they will keep upgrading and newer models coming and also what you purchase today will depreciate especially if you're going to take some time in getting speakers. What I will suggest is save the money for the AVR and when you have saved enough money to go for speakers at that time go for the AVR too. No sense in buying AVR and not using it. The PC speakers from Creative or Altec Lansing will work without the AVR on the PC.

If you plan to connect the PC speakers to the AVR then yes it can be done but output will be bad and really not advisable and also the speakers will get damaged since the PC speakers will be powered themselves with an amplifier in either the subwoofer or a speaker so really no need to power them with an AVR. Instead go with the Altec Lansing and use them for movie watching too.

For 40K you can get a good HTIB like Onkyo 5100 which will be good for movies.

I wanted to purchase one HT budget around 25K.

As of now I do not have any HD TV. I am having Sony Flat TV only.

My use is 80% for music and 20% for DVD films.

I am inquiring Onkyo, Philips and Sony. I am more comfortable with DAV-DZ370 model in Sony. But in the forum all most all are totally against Sony brand.

I think for my requirement, that Sony model is ok. Please guide me to choose my correct HT.

hi selvakumar u can also try yamaha yht-195 home theater system
i bought i 4 22k,dvd player separately(it was in offer) but u can still inquire abt price in the ezone or vijay sales
4 more info u can check this
Products | YAMAHA Music India Pvt. Ltd.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back