Need help to start exploring 'Vinyland'

after reading your posts i cannot wait to get my hands on the Shure cartridge, set up the player and enjoy Analog music. :) Just hope this player would sound good

after reading your posts i cannot wait to get my hands on the Shure cartridge, set up the player and enjoy Analog music. :) Just hope this player would sound good

all the best. do get enough dope to know how to set the cart up though. the best all in one guide is the manual for the sumiko blackbird from the sumiko website. had found it browsing for sumiko blue point cart and the previous owner of my table also recommended it to me for reading up. very simple, explains the various factors you need to adjust and how each one interacts with another. a free cart alignment tool available for download from vinylengine.com you'll need it along with the sumiko manual.

regards

What cartridge do you currently have in your turntable? The best option is to look for that.Otherwise check needledoctor.com they have wide range of cartridges on offer.

are there good carts available in 1k to 1.5k budget?

regards

hi anm,

ortofon has the om5e cart. supposed to be decent at around 1.5k or so. had got one temp one for the garrard but not set it up yet. dont remember exact price.

regards

Hello anant,
the manual says your turntable can accomodate cartridges weighing between 5 to 11 gms. The cartridge suggested by steven weighs 5.5 gms so you should be ok with it. The good thing about your turn table is you can take the head shell out and that makes cartridge replacing affair much more easier. But be very careful while taking out hose tiny wires from your existing cartridge. It is a very delicate task. Anilva is the technics guy in our forum. He has couple of them in his stable. I am more or less sure about it but you can get a confirmation from him.
Thanks.

need something for instant gratification with a cart i can buy in India - it needs to match technics 1700.

Anant,

To my mind there is no point in a buying cartridge which will just play something out of vinyl. At a price point of 1.5K you will hardly get anything. On top of it, you may not be doing justice to the setup as well as to the whole Vinyl experience.

At 3800/- you will get a Shure M97 on 20north. My suggestion is please go for it and be patient for those 15 days. You will not regret it.

As far replacing the cartridge on Technics SL-1700 is concerned, it is fairly easy. Ofcourse you need to be careful in removing the cartridge wire. They are quite delicate. Use a small nose pliers or tweezers to do the job. I hope you have downloaded the manual of SL-1700 from Vinyl Engine by now.

Cheers.

need something for instant gratification with a cart i can buy in India - it needs to match technics 1700.

Hai anm,

Pl check for AT-91 :

Costs less than 1.5K and is good VFM, I am using one for the past 3 years. But check up with your TT manual for compatability.

Pl check the thread under Turntable section for availability in INDIA.

N.Murali

Last edited:
hi square wave,

hehe yeah thorough lp lover! somehow vinyl has 'body' and 'soul' that cd does not have. i still remember how disappointed i was at hearing my first cd, how artificial and plastic it sounded compared to tape. even scratchy lp records have that 'soul'. that's what comes shining through irrespective of price points. and that was what i was encouraging people to go out and experience even if a second hand player is all they can afford.

its like chocolate and vanilla icecream. as you go up price points and brands am sure a more expensive chocolate icecream will taste and feel better in the mouth than a cheapo chocolate icecream. but there's no way its going to taste like vanilla or the other way around.

the reason i made the point in my previous post was so that vinyl lovers who want to get into vinyl dont get scared away thinking only mega buck rigs are the thing to do. lots of people dont know too much bout vinyl, its scary cos there are so many things to adjust and get right before playing. there's enjoyment to be had even from a humble second hand player.

the reimyo will most certainly outperform other dacs and cd players but no way its gonna make a cd sound like vinyl. of course, i reiterate again, either you're gonna dig the vinyl sound or not. am not claiming its a universal 'truth' :)

regards

I agree with you on the Lp sound. It s something else:)
But a well mastered cd if played on a reimyo/wadia will outdo a budget LP rig. It may lack the Lp sound

Cds have come a long way. They were pathetic in the 80s. A bit better in the 90s. They are quite good these days. Looks like they are going to die soon as high-def downloads will soon take over.

The LP will finally outlive the redbook CD:D

Just wanted to throw in there that a Wadia has a completely different sound signature than a Reimyo. I have a strong preference for the Reimyo analog sound. The Wadia sound is strong, dynamic and in your face. The Reimyo has finesse in it's presentation and tends to seduce the ear ... Completely different animal. Lumping them together would be akin to putting the North pole and South pole together sound wise.

See technically, digital has vinyl beat with signal to noise ratio, dynamic range and noisless sound reproduction. But...in the end we do flock towards vinyl. I think it has to do with the way our brains interpret music. There needs to be a study of psychoacoustics and how we generally listen to sound. The results need to be put in an algorithm and implemented into the digital player. Then we can see digtial progress ;)

Last edited:
how do I figure out it will suite my TT and tonearm?
Hai anm,

Pl check for AT-91 :

Costs less than 1.5K and is good VFM, I am using one for the past 3 years. But check up with your TT manual for compatability.

Pl check the thread under Turntable section for availability in INDIA.

N.Murali

Hai anm,

With the data you have provided, TT should accept the Audio-Technica AT-91 Cartridge without any issue. Use 1.5 gm setting in Tonearm and the same setting in Anti-Skating force. Pl refer the packing for details.

N.Murali

Just wanted to throw in there that a Wadia has a completely different sound signature than a Reimyo. I have a strong preference for the Reimyo analog sound. The Wadia sound is strong, dynamic and in your face. The Reimyo has finesse in it's presentation and tends to seduce the ear ... Completely different animal. Lumping them together would be akin to putting the North pole and South pole together sound wise.

See technically, digital has vinyl beat with signal to noise ratio, dynamic range and noisless sound reproduction. But...in the end we do flock towards vinyl. I think it has to do with the way our brains interpret music. There needs to be a study of psychoacoustics and how we generally listen to sound. The results need to be put in an algorithm and implemented into the digital player. Then we can see digtial progress ;)

Shaizada,

I agree that technically, digital has better specifications than vinyl. I also believe that the 'harsh' digital sound of the 80-90's, which gave CD its bad reputation, had much more to do with the recording process and fanatical range compression that producers wanted on CDs, than with any inherent fault with the medium. Vinyls attract people who like a 'fullsome' sound, which is soft, warm and .... organic is the best term I can think of.
However, I have seen equally passionate, musically oriented listeners who swear by SACD/DVD-A and increasingly the new hi-def formats. I think the vinyl vs xD debate is actually one of which side of the musical fence one falls on. And both mediums are capable of delivering beautiful music, if the recording is done well.

-Jinx.

Shaizada,

I agree that technically, digital has better specifications than vinyl. I also believe that the 'harsh' digital sound of the 80-90's, which gave CD its bad reputation, had much more to do with the recording process and fanatical range compression that producers wanted on CDs, than with any inherent fault with the medium. Vinyls attract people who like a 'fullsome' sound, which is soft, warm and .... organic is the best term I can think of.
However, I have seen equally passionate, musically oriented listeners who swear by SACD/DVD-A and increasingly the new hi-def formats. I think the vinyl vs xD debate is actually one of which side of the musical fence one falls on. And both mediums are capable of delivering beautiful music, if the recording is done well.

-Jinx.

Hey Jinx,

Believe it or not, the same album mastered in absolute world class studios provided on CD and LP, actually tend to have better sonics on LP. For example, one of the best recorded digital in the world comes out of the Stockfisch records from Germany. The vinyl issue of the same album from the same Stockfisch studio is noticeably superior to the digital version. Now the digital version is a completely mind blowing experience if heard by itself. But when compared directly to the vinyl version through the same system, the vinyl comes out ahead. If you ever get a chance to come around these parts, I would love to have you over for a nice listening session to prove my point. Regardless, I completely agree, when music is recorded properly, both mediums are extremely capable of providing happiness.

thanks Murali. Now I need to find where can I get it in Delhi NCR.

Hai anm,

With the data you have provided, TT should accept the Audio-Technica AT-91 Cartridge without any issue. Use 1.5 gm setting in Tonearm and the same setting in Anti-Skating force. Pl refer the packing for details.

N.Murali

Well what I can say from my little experience with vinyl is they offer tremendous value for money at least in India. The vinyl available locally cost something between Rs 75-150 each and they quality of sound they offer the cds can hardly match them. But in international market vinyl prices are quite high so one does have a option between xacd, some good cd and vinyl. I have finally ordered some 8 vinyls from elusive disc to test what is the difference in quality between new vinyl and well used 2nd hand vinyls that I procure locally.

Well what I can say from my little experience with vinyl is they offer tremendous value for money at least in India. The vinyl available locally cost something between Rs 75-150 each and they quality of sound they offer the cds can hardly match them. But in international market vinyl prices are quite high so one does have a option between xacd, some good cd and vinyl. I have finally ordered some 8 vinyls from elusive disc to test what is the difference in quality between new vinyl and well used 2nd hand vinyls that I procure locally.

Thats fantastic! What did you order from Elusive Disc exactly? You should order some 45rpm vinyls next time and REALLY see what the format can do.

Since you know it was Black Friday this weekend, I went on a vinyl shopping spree to stock up on some music for the holidays.

Here are the titles I've picked up:

JOHN COLTRANE/BALLADS 180g 45rpm 2LP
JOHN COLTRANE/BALLADS 180g 45rpm 2LP - elusivedisc

JOHN COLTRANE/CRESCENT 180g 45rpm 2LP
JOHN COLTRANE/CRESCENT 180g 45rpm 2LP - elusivedisc

STEELY DAN/AJA 30TH ANNIV. NUMBERED LTD EDITION 180g LP
STEELY DAN/AJA 30TH ANNIV. NUMBERED LTD EDITION 180g LP - elusivedisc

JULIE LONDON/JULIE IS HER NAME, VOL. 1 180g 45rpm MONO 2LP
JULIE LONDON/JULIE IS HER NAME, VOL. 1 180g 45rpm MONO 2LP - elusivedisc

NICKI PARROTT/FLY ME TO THE MOON 200g LP
NICKI PARROTT/FLY ME TO THE MOON 200g LP - elusivedisc

DINO RUBINO/MI SONO INNAMORATO DI TE 200g LP
DINO RUBINO/MI SONO INNAMORATO DI TE 200g LP - elusivedisc

STACEY KENT/DREAMSVILLE 180g LP
STACEY KENT/DREAMSVILLE 180g LP - elusivedisc

JANIS IAN/BREAKING SILENCE 180g LP
JANIS IAN/BREAKING SILENCE 180g LP - elusivedisc

NORAH JONES/COME AWAY WITH ME 200g LP
NORAH JONES/COME AWAY WITH ME 200g LP - elusivedisc

NORAH JONES/FEELS LIKE HOME 200g LP
NORAH JONES/FEELS LIKE HOME 200g LP - elusivedisc

DONALD FAGEN/MORPH THE CAT 180g 2LP
DONALD FAGEN/MORPH THE CAT 180g 2LP - elusivedisc

THE JUNG TRIO/DVORAK PIANO TRIO OP. 65 180g 45rpm 2LP
THE JUNG TRIO/DVORAK PIANO TRIO OP. 65 180g 45rpm 2LP - elusivedisc

NIRVANA/IN UTERO 180g LP (YELLOW VINYL)
NIRVANA/IN UTERO 180g LP (YELLOW VINYL) - elusivedisc

Plus a few more MFSL records at a local record show/meet that happens once a month like Neil Diamonds Hot August Night MFSL Lp.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back