Need help to start exploring 'Vinyland'

Hello shaizada,
those are some wonderful titles you have picked up. I am quite interested in the Norah jones title. The titles I picked up are

DIANA KRALL/THE VERY BEST OF IMPORT 2LP
DIANA KRALL/THE VERY BEST OF IMPORT 2LP - elusivedisc

JIMI HENDRIX/LIVE AT WOODSTOCK 180g 3LP
JIMI HENDRIX/LIVE AT WOODSTOCK 180g 3LP - elusivedisc

RAY CHARLES/MODERN SOUNDS IN COUNTRY VOL. 1 LP
RAY CHARLES/MODERN SOUNDS IN COUNTRY VOL. 1 LP - elusivedisc

HARRY BELAFONTE/AT CARNEGIE HALL 200g 2LP
HARRY BELAFONTE/AT CARNEGIE HALL 200g 2LP - elusivedisc

still on the list Gotan project and some paco de lucia Lps. Loooking for them elsewhere.
Thanks.

Hi All,

I have inherited some 30 vinyls and a cosmic cogram2000 player from my dad and mamaji. also i have just purchased a brand new "Dark side of the moon" vinyl. I am dying to find out if a vinyl actually sound better than a cd but i cannot get the vinyl player to play.

Well the player is still working but i think i will need a phono box to get any sound out from my amp (there is no phono input in it). but i am not sure if i should invest money into a phonobox without being absolutely sure that my TT works. Could you suggest anybody in Mumbai who could check and service it?

also does anybody use this TT. Is it any good? I am debating whether i should buy a new one. I am eyeing either a denon 300 DF or a Project debut 3 but both are expensive and i do not want to dive right in before being absolutely sure that i would enjoy vinyls.

are there any cheaper alternatives like used or ex demo TTs

You input would be really helpful.

Thanks
Sabya

Hi,
I just bought the Rega P1 for 399 singappore dollars. This is one of the best players if you are a beginnner on vinyl. Its simple, plug and play and you can start listening in minutes. MInd you if you do get into vinyl, it is a costly affair. New vinyl LP's come for about Rs.1200 to Rs2500/-. Since its more a question of a persons choice, not that many LP's are made at a time, hence the steep pricing. BUT trust me, it is so worth it. The warmth and depth of vinly is something that the digital world cannot replicate. People are realising that more and more and hence Vinyl sales across the world have seen growth in the last one year. Imagine that...they are rising from the dead. although it will never become mainstay format, it definitely has its enghusiasts :) ...like me

If you ever get a chance to come around these parts, I would love to have you over for a nice listening session to prove my point.
I will take you up on that offer whenever the West Coast beckons :). Thanks.

Hello shaizada,
those are some wonderful titles you have picked up. I am quite interested in the Norah jones title. The titles I picked up are

DIANA KRALL/THE VERY BEST OF IMPORT 2LP
DIANA KRALL/THE VERY BEST OF IMPORT 2LP - elusivedisc

JIMI HENDRIX/LIVE AT WOODSTOCK 180g 3LP
JIMI HENDRIX/LIVE AT WOODSTOCK 180g 3LP - elusivedisc

RAY CHARLES/MODERN SOUNDS IN COUNTRY VOL. 1 LP
RAY CHARLES/MODERN SOUNDS IN COUNTRY VOL. 1 LP - elusivedisc

HARRY BELAFONTE/AT CARNEGIE HALL 200g 2LP
HARRY BELAFONTE/AT CARNEGIE HALL 200g 2LP - elusivedisc

still on the list Gotan project and some paco de lucia Lps. Loooking for them elsewhere.
Thanks.

Excellent selection! You finally decided to just purchase the Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall on 200g vinyl then. I remember you looking for a copy locally :)

Also, don't buy the Norah Jones Come Away With Me LP that I bought on Classic Records 200g. Instead purchase the 45rpm version that JUST came out. It is supposed to be out of this world and the definitive version of this album.

Also, I thought I would share this information here because it is an good read. It helps one understand the elusive "why" :)

Why 45 rpm? by Kevin Gray, AcousTech Mastering

After 60 years the good ol analog LP is still one of the highest resolution sources of music distribution available. It has a solid, palpable, satisfying sound that no digital format has yet equaled, let alone surpassed. The most unfortunate thing about the LP is that it was really starting to flourish back in the mid 80s, just as the record companies tried to kill it.

Advances in cutterheads (the device that etches the groove in the master lacquer disk) and cutting electronics reached a pinnacle in the early 80s. Digital computers arrived on the scene in their best role: Out of the audio chain, but doing machine-control to adjust the groove spacing on the record for maximum playing time and recorded volume. 180 gram virgin vinyl pressings were the next development, and last but not least, around the late 70s, 45 rpm 12 LPs started to appear.

Why 45, you ask? Because it sounds better! In record mastering, the higher the recorded level and frequency, the greater the groove curvature. Curvature isnt usually a problem, per se, on the outside of a 12 33 1/3 record, but as the groove moves toward the center, its relative speed slows down and curvature increases. Yes, it is still turning at 33 1/3 revolutions per minute, but consider: one revolution takes 1.8 seconds. That 1.8 seconds at a 12 diameter is covering a lot more territory than at the minimum 4.75 diameter. The result is actually a loss in high frequencies, and increase in distortion as the groove moves to the center. The problems start when the curvature of the groove equals or exceeds the diameter of the playback stylus. What can be done about it? Many things have been tried, but there is no magic bullet. Keep the recorded volume to a reasonable level (read: On scale on the meters) is the first thing. Play the record back with an elliptical or line-contact stylus that has a smaller tip radius. And, if possible, make the record short enough to keep the music away from the very end of the disk. This isnt always possible, of course.

BUT, if we spin the disk at 45rpm we now have a 35% increase in groove velocity at any point on the disk. This is a huge advantage! Yes, the groove still slows down as it moves inward, but the effects are greatly reduced. The only problem is that the amount of recorded time is now also reduced by 35%. What do you do about that? (Hint: split up the LP into 4 sides on 2 records.) Now youre cookin doc! Yep, twice the mastering cost, plating cost, pressing cost, label and jacket costs. Its enough to make the bean-counters break down and cry. But the sound! Oooooh, yeah! This isnt sales hype, its physics. Listen for yourself. You tell me if its worth it. A lot of music lovers think soand they are right!

Did you ever get a chance to hear the vinyl track against the CD version?
Yes, I did. But not long enough to post a detailed review. As promised, will do so near end of Dec, once all submission deadlines are done with. Then I can listen, write and 'submit' the review in peace and quiet.

Dear Gurus,

I might be able to get a well maintained Garrard SL 75 for quite less. Is this turntable any good. On the internet Garrard seems to be quite a respectable name but i could not find anything much for this particular TT.

My cosmic turntable is being repaired currently. one of the wires to the cartridge had snapped off. If i buy the Garrard i will install the Shure M97xE in it and some other cheaper cart into the Cosmic.

Any suggestions?

The Garrard was not in a good shape. also there was a constant hum when it was played. So I am sticking to my Cosmic. waiting for it to come back with the Shure cart installed.

Hi Loco - what was the final price you paid after shipping etc?

Well I have ordered for a Shure M97xe cartridge. I have read loads of good reviews for this cartridge. Also could not resist a killer deal on 20north.com. Just waiting for it to come in my hands.

In the meanwhile I have got a used ceramic cartridge fitted to the player. The sound is not that good. Vocals sound good though and its great for listening to Ghulam Ali gazals..but the dark side of the moon sounds very bad.

However I have not given up on it. I am quite hopefull that with the shure cartridge it will sound good. if not then perhaps i will start looking for a replacement (actually i quite like the looks of the old cosmic player so really hope it sounds good).

In the meanwhile I have got a used ceramic cartridge fitted to the player. The sound is not that good. Vocals sound good though and its great for listening to Ghulam Ali gazals..but the dark side of the moon sounds very bad.
Hi Locomotive
If you are using ceramic cartridge it may have two stylus changeable by flipping small lever on cartridge. It also may have markings like "78" and "LP" use "LP" side of stylus for 33/45 rpm microgroove records. Which amp and speakers are you using ?

got my player back with the shure cart installed. it sounds really nice. havent done a cd vs vinyl analysis but i really enjoyed the vinyl sound. very warm vocals.

Unfortunately my turntable has developed another problem. after about 30 mins of playthe speed starts wavering and slowing down!! lets see if this can be repaired now.:sad:

so now with this problem i am back to square one!! although now i do know for sure that I like the analogue sound

A special note of thanks to Mr Sushil Anand of Nova Audio. he was kind enough to fix the cart for me. he also fixed all the minor mechanical problems in my player, even though professionally he does not really service turntables. He is a very nice gentleman to talk to.

Hi Locomotive
I can think of only two problems
1) If your TT is old it's rubber mat may have become hardened and record may be slipping on it.
2) Most of Cosmic TT has two presets at bottom (For 33 & 45 rpm) of its Direct Drive motor for accurate speed adjustments. its contact's may have become interminent. A switch cleaning fluid will help But be carefull not to spill over extra fluid inside the motor, get professional help.
Hiten

Thanks Hiten,

Its not the belt as i have a new one. and the fact that it plays properly at start makes me think its not the belt.

The problem with the motor seems more likely. either the motor itself or the circuit that supplies power to the motor. let me see.

Now i am really considering a new TT.

Hi Locomotive
sorry, I thought your TT was Direct Drive. I know a friend who was in production Dept. at Cosmic he may help. Will contact him and tell you what may be the problem.
Hiten

Hi
Yes, I did talk to him. He says Belt drive TT at that time had 2 to 3 different type of motors, and some of them did have circuit and preset to control speed so see if you or any technician can locate it and repair it. Other possible problem may be motor itself and will be difficult to replace.
All the best

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back