Need help with a home theatre setup

posiedon

Hi Guys,

I am pretty new on this forum and I have a new independent house being build for which I have a dedicated entertainment room (15 ftx20ft).

I have attached a screen shot of the layout of the room (ignore the furniture layout, that is just temp).

The room has a huge window on one wall with 2 walls on the other two sides. The room will have fold able (collapsible)doors which can be closed when using the room and opened when not in use.

I want this setup mainly for gaming (for PS3/X360) and movies (blu-ray)

I was thinking of having a projector, AV receiver, Speakers in a budget of 2.5-3.5lk

Please suggest me your options in terms of hardware, flooring for the room and for making it sound proof etc.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• ent room setup.jpg
    ent room setup.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi Guys,

I am pretty new on this forum and I have a new independent house being build for which I have a dedicated entertainment room (15 ftx20ft).

I have attached a screen shot of the layout of the room (ignore the furniture layout, that is just temp).

The room has a huge window on one wall with 2 walls on the other two sides. The room will have fold able (collapsible)doors which can be closed when using the room and opened when not in use.

I want this setup mainly for gaming (for PS3/X360) and movies (blu-ray)

I was thinking of having a projector, AV receiver, Speakers in a budget of 2.5-3.5lk

Please suggest me your options in terms of hardware, flooring for the room and for making it sound proof etc.

Thanks in advance...

for hardware,flooring, soundproofing there is no better thread than
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhance...-guide-me.html
For XBOX u need 1080p prj with bright speakers..
IMO
(Prj((optoma HD20 (65k)) Or (mitsu HC3800 (78k))) and (AVR((Yamaha 863 (40k)) Or (Denon 3310 (60k) Or (Marantz 6004 (55-60k)) Or (CA 650R (55-60k))) and (Speaker(MA RS6 + MA RS Center + Wharf Surround/9.1 = 85k) Or (Dali Ikon + Ikon Center + Lector/Concept Surround = 90k) and add sub later
= 2.5 - 3.5 L
try searching for individual brands in various threads..

umm the link posted by you does not work..says error: link not found...

Would also welcome any more suggestions in terms of home theater setup...

what would be the screen size suggested for the room mentioned for me?The material on which the projector screen will appear?Does it have to be any specific material/quality etc?

umm anyone??? Really looking forward for some community input on this...

Thanks again in advance...

Lets start............

your room is L=20feet,w=15 feet,h=10feet(assumed)

here are your figures:

your room ratio's (HWL): 1: 1.50:2.00 your room volume: 3000 Cu Ft

here are recommended figures

Recommended ratios : 1:1.14:1.39
1:1.26:1.59
1:1.28:1.54
1:1.30:1.90
1: 1.40: 1.90
1: 1.50:2.10(close to ur figures)
1: 1.50:2.50
1: 1.60:2.33

recommeded Volume: 2500 Cubic Feet

So your room ratios and volume are almost fine acoustically

Last edited:
Here are your room modes:-Room modes are natural resonances that occur in every enclosed space, and the frequency of each resonance is directly related to the room's dimensions.

Due to various room modes certain frequencies are attenuated and some are boosted/have a longer decay time unnecessarily.(i.e the sound o/p is is coloured , louder at certain frequencies and vice versa on others)

Prediction of low freq behavior of your room, upto 500 Hz using mode calculator and considering only axial modes:-

Your various room modes along LWH are as below:All the frequencies at below mentioned resonant frequencies will experience a boost/reinforcement in decibels(db). A musical note falling in between widely separated modes will be abnormally weak and will die away faster than other notes.

Length:

Width :

Height:

At a resonant freq for example: 113 Hz above,which is common along all three dimensions, will contribute to a huge boost of sound at 113HZ. This large peak/boost will result in a boomy bass and poor clarity .

As is clear from the plot below, that as frequency is increased, the number of modes greatly increases. Above 300 Hz, average mode spacing becomes so small that room response tends to become smoother.So that a lot of musical note falling on these closely separated modes will be not be weak and will not die away faster.

It is not practical to acoustically treat each mode separately. In your case considering your room is fairly large,a general low-frequency treatment will be sufficient to control room boom and other resonance anomalies.

Attachments

• modes.jpg
    modes.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
ummm Mandeep...i am not much of an audiophile so not really sure what the above meant...

but I guess the current room diemnsions are right. But at 113 Hz what really happens?The sound quality drops or something?

Do forgive me as i am really a newbie and have no prior knowledge on this...

huh???

Guys explaining this in plan simple English which a newbie can understand would really really be helpful!!!

Resonance(human aspect) - a relationship of mutual understanding or trust and agreement between people.a close connection marked by community of interests or similarity in nature or character

being at HIFIVISION we display an enhanced mutual interest and are most excited.

example:HIGH HUMAN RESONANCE leads to successful marriages,long friendship relationships.

Haridwar is of course a land of religious resonance.

Resonances are regarded as excited states.

In physics, the relatively large selective response of an object or a system that vibrates in step with an externally applied vibration. Though people seldom witness it directly, the entire world is in a state of motion, and where solid objects are concerned, this motion is manifested as vibration. When the vibrations produced by one object come into alignment with those of another, this is called resonance.

Acoustical resonance:Example: A highly trained singer can hit a note that causes a wine glass to shatter, but what causes this to happen is not the frequency of the note, per se. In other words, the shattering is not necessarily because of the fact that the note is extremely high; rather, it is due to the phenomenon of resonance. The natural, or resonant, frequency in the wine glass, as with all objects, is determined by its shape and composition. If the singer's voice (or a note from an instrument) hits the resonant frequency, there will be a transfer of energy. In this case, however, a full transfer of energy from the voice or musical instrument can overload the glass, causing it to shatter.

Similarly, a HT room has its own natural or resonant frequencies along all axis.The size and shape of a room determines its natural resonances - often called room modes

sound waves:If you've ever seen a leaf floating on wavy water, you'll know that the waves don't actually move the water anywhere. The leaf rises and falls, but doesn't move in any direction. Sound waves are very much the same, increasing and decreasing in pressure without really moving anywhere. Otherwise sound would be accompanied by a wind, and you would feel a breeze every time somebody hits his drum.Sound waves are longitudinal waves, i.e sound traveling in a gaseous medium such as air, the particles move in the direction the sound is traveling. that is, they actually oscillate (expand and contract) in the direction of propagation. As the sound waves expand and contract, they cause high-pressure regions
and low-pressure regions.

Mechanical resonance, such as that produced in a bridge by wind or by marching soldiers, can eventually produce wide swings great enough to cause the bridge's destruction.

Resonance in frequency-sensitive electrical circuits makes it possible for certain communication devices to accept signals of some frequencies while rejecting others.

Magnetic resonance occurs when electrons or atomic nuclei respond to the application of magnetic fields by emitting or absorbing electromagnetic radiation.

regards:)

Last edited:
but I guess the current room dimensions are right. But at 113 Hz what really happens?The sound quality drops or something?
Do forgive me as i am really a newbie and have no prior knowledge on this..

What happens at 113 HZ is that the level boost will be huge, due the reinforcement of all three dimensions LENGTH,WIDTH,HEIGHT

Last edited:
Jayad, can you please check the thread and post again?

Cheers
sorry for posting incorrect link earlier
dont be intimidated too much by the acoustic talk..when i constructed my room i knew nothing except soundproofing and yet it turned out fine..
what i wd suggest u to first concentrate on making the room for which gave the reference of that thread and then search for speaker/avr/prj..
each of the components would take some study..so u need to devote some time before u make ur decision..
best of luck

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back