Need help with chosing amp/receiver, speakers for 80k-1 lac budget

led_zep_rulz

Hello folks,

First off, I'd like to say that this is a great forum with a lot of knowledegable and helpful members. I'm sure glad I found this place.

I've been reading posts on this forum and others, trying to get suggestions for my upcoming purchase - but with so many options and recommendations I've managed to confuse myself - and thought I'd post my requirements to get specific recos from you experts here. So thanks in advance for hearing me out.

Here are my requirements

Room size
Living room 15 by 16

Type of music I listen to
Mainly classic rock - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Black Sabbath etc etc. Also enjoy listening to Hindi classics Kishore Kumar etc

Home Theater vs Stereo?
Initially, I'd like to stick to just music, but Id like the option of expanding to a home theater sometime in the future. But Home theater requirement is not as strong at this point.

Budget
Rs 80K, willing to inch up towards the 1 lac level if the additional 20k will get me significant improvement in sound quality. And this is for amp and speakers and cables. I already have a cd player/dvd player/ipod. I'll need to buy all this is Kolkata

So, given these requirements - please help me construct my new music system. Please let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks in advance

P.S - Based on some friends' recommendations, I am leaning towards a marantz amp/receiver, but dont have a clear favourite on speakers. Your help is much appreciated on both fronts (amp/receiver and speakers).

Hi,

First of all hearty welcome to the forum ! have a wonderful time here !

Considering the music preferences and and budget in hand, I'd recommend the following !

1.Yamaha 661 AVR, as this is almost perfect for the purpose
2.Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 or 9.5 (better for bass) based speakers ( for front,center,rear)
3.Wharfedale SW150 Sub

As with the marantz,its good no doubt but when it comes to rock genre and movies it will sometimes fall flat ! its more suited for Jazz,Blues etc kind of music and hardly for movies !!

Hope this helps !

Regards.

You can probably fit a Dynaudio Audience 52 and a Marantz PM7001 in an 80k budget. You might have to spend more on stands. You might want to look at Arcam for amps if you want to spend a bit more on electronics. What is your source gonna be? Ipod is gonna be terrible to pair with such a good speaker.

Thanks for your responses

Input is an "old" Symphonic CD player - I've forgotten the model number - yeah its that old. I currently use it with my "old" Kenwood amp and my "old" Bose (yeah Bose) bookshelves - these are all about 10 years old. Maybe that needs to change too.

I will be also using my Ipod, but I understand that it is not the optimal input.

Any contacts in Calcutta - where I can audition a few of the suggested combos under one roof?

I would say that you need to keep your priorities clear....whether 2 channel or multi channel is more important? You can add speakers as you build up your system....but for pure 2 channel music, nothing can beat a good old stereo amplifier...I know cause I've heard both amps with the same source and speakers...and the stereo amp(Yamaha AX 595?) sounded much better than the multi channel amp ( Denon AVR 2806) though its not rated very highly. For your budget and present requirements, I would suggest that you go the 2 channel route first....you have some good dealers in Kolkata such as SKS traders at Sarat Bose Road, Pro fx near Gariahat flyover, Onkyo opp. Kala Mandir....etc Considering your room size and future expansion, I think large floorstands will be overpowering ( I use MS 902i bookshelves in a room about 18x20 and its good enough...bit lacking in bass but thats it) that said, I would recommend Cambridge Audio640 V2/ Nad C 352, 355/ Marantz 7001 amps with Mordaunt Short speakers ( esp. the Mezzo 2), KEF IQ5 SE, and Epos ( M12.2)...have heard denon electronics with KEF IQ 5 and was'nt impressed....still, best way is to audition with your own music....and I would suggest you use the change to get yourself a decent cd player...and try to bargain cause I easily got 10% off for my Cambridge Audio electronics...would love to know what you finally settle on....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back