Need help with HTPC video performance

• Thread starter Deleted member 17547
  • Start date
I am also using reclock to get possible bitperfect audio out.

Audio setting-

Video setting-

Bluray should look like this,see DXVA & reclock output-

Last edited:
Just download madVR
Lav Codecs
Once you have installed both, setup media player classic to use lav splitter, lav video decoder and lav audio decoder as external filters. In lav video configuration, setup DXVA copyback as hardware decoder.

CPU uses goes to 40-50% after using madvr(from 10%).
secondly why cant DXVA be seen when using madvr?So graphic card is not doing Hardware acceleration here?

So what is the verdict here ? Does XBMC truly sucks in terms of PQ comapred to MPC + madVR ?or it is just mind tricks ?

No doubt the picture quality of MPC+madVR is good but this can be only substantiated with bigger TV or projector. As far as various forums are concerned regarding this the verdict is that the diff of picture quality is visible when compared to xbmc or non-madVR is slightly visible when looked at 1080p on a >55" tv. So xbmc is good and more than that it uses very less CPU when DXVA is enabled.

Thanks

CPU uses goes to 40-50% after using madvr(from 10%).
secondly why cant DXVA be seen when using madvr?So graphic card is not doing Hardware acceleration here?

MadVR uses much more complicated shaders for scaling and this also means more gpu-cpu and vice versa transfers. This causes extra cpu usage. DXVA does not work directly with madvr.

You can always use the DXVA2 Copy back decoder in LAV filters to do the decoding on the GPU. This avoids extra CPU load.

Actually the best setup if you have a sandybridge CPU is to do decoding using quicksync and then use your GPU for madvr processing.

Flip side to this is that the picture quality is spectacular. The algorithms used by madvr for chroma and luma upsampling are much more complicated and accurate compared to usual bilinear used by DXVA.

I can see better IQ on my 42" TV while sitting 10 ft away. The difference is that stark!

Reading your posts i might want to try this and see for myself. I do have sufficient hardware and sources to make out the difference. I'll test it on my Core i3 HTPC connected to my Epson projector, projecting a 120" image. Now according to you guys it should make a difference, how big or small is the question.

I guess i'll have to see it for myself. Can you guys point me towards a basic tutorial to install all this and make is work ? I'll like to compare the following :

XBMC vs MPC+madVR vs quicksync setup

Reading your posts i might want to try this and see for myself. I do have sufficient hardware and sources to make out the difference. I'll test it on my Core i3 HTPC connected to my Epson projector, projecting a 120" image. Now according to you guys it should make a difference, how big or small is the question.

I guess i'll have to see it for myself. Can you guys point me towards a basic tutorial to install all this and make is work ? I'll like to compare the following :

XBMC vs MPC+madVR vs quicksync setup

This is the best site I have seen so far for setting up MPC-HC with MadVR. For XBMC setup you can visit this site. Try it out and let us know the results. If you go thru some of the posts in this thread by Assassin there is specific mention of no diff of picture quality on displays below 55".

thanks

madVR doesnt have option to set Brightness etc.When I use it,Brightness reduces much & so I had to adjust LCD.

OK on my 42" Plasma, there is no visible difference at all. I ran MPC + Madvr (DXVA2 and Cuvid) and XBMC with DXVA2. MPC had 9-10% CPU usage vs XBMC only using 2-3 % . I've tested with 720p mkv, 1080p mkv and an actual Blu-ray as well.

I'll check it with my projector today. According to the suggestion it should make a difference, if not then i'm dumping MPC for good as XBMC interface is really what i would like to keep.

People who want a hassle free installation of codec packs with MPC-HC just see this site and download the file. I just downloaded and it infact installs the ffdshow, lav filters and also the latest mpc-hc player. Very nice indeed, you need to only install the madVR separately (if you require) that's it.

Thanks

People who want a hassle free installation of codec packs with MPC-HC just see this site and download the file. I just downloaded and it infact installs the ffdshow, lav filters and also the latest mpc-hc player. Very nice indeed, you need to only install the madVR separately (if you require) that's it.

Thanks

Many times,you dont need all codecs,so simply DL LAV filters & bitstream/LPCM over HDMI.

OK on my 42" Plasma, there is no visible difference at all. I ran MPC + Madvr (DXVA2 and Cuvid) and XBMC with DXVA2. MPC had 9-10% CPU usage vs XBMC only using 2-3 % . I've tested with 720p mkv, 1080p mkv and an actual Blu-ray as well.

I'll check it with my projector today. According to the suggestion it should make a difference, if not then i'm dumping MPC for good as XBMC interface is really what i would like to keep.

What scalers did you use for luma and chroma? Do you see the madvr icon in the taskbar while playing? Also make sure you disable any scaling in the gpu control panel.

Many times,you dont need all codecs,so simply DL LAV filters & bitstream/LPCM over HDMI.

Yes that is correct, but you will realize that some codecs are missing only if you play a particular movie file. Also these does not occupy much space hardly 15 to 20MB so installing all at once makes sense.

thanks

99.9% of files these days are some form of h.264 or vc1 or xvid or quicktime with sorenson. The audio is either Dolby or DTS or mp3. None of these require a codec pack.

Yes that is correct, but you will realize that some codecs are missing only if you play a particular movie file. Also these does not occupy much space hardly 15 to 20MB so installing all at once makes sense.

thanks

LAV fiters has almost all current codecs which are used for movie ripping.

LAV fiters has almost all current codecs which are used for movie ripping.

I have some avi movie files with Divx/Xvid codecs with mpeg2/mpeg3 audio which is not being played directly thru mpc-hc+lav filters. I had to install FFDSHOW filters for this codec alone and mark it as prefer in external filters and the movie is playing fine with madVR.

Thanks

I have some avi movie files with Divx/Xvid codecs with mpeg2/mpeg3 audio which is not being played directly thru mpc-hc+lav filters. I had to install FFDSHOW filters for this codec alone and mark it as prefer in external filters and the movie is playing fine with madVR.

Thanks
Oh,thats why new V.of any codec pack are launched.

Off topic..

There is a thread started by a member in another forum regarding the new htpc system which is supposed to be the most highend in the market currently using the new AMD Trinity A10 - 4600M.

The specs looks really cool and the price is also $700+ just joking..:rolleyes:

thanks

Thanks

Yes I have some very old movies like "Trinity is still my name" etc which are of DVD quality with these codecs which with LAV does not play in mpc-hc. Hence I had to download the ffdshow and make the settings to use ffdshow only for these kind of files to play. By the way your reclock settings made to investigate and I did install that and use it as the default sound output in mpc-hc. Now every file when playing using this combination is having a break of few seconds for sound and my receiver displays nothing but changes back to DD/DTS immediately after starting of the movie and then it starts playing smoothly. Any idea about the same.

thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back