need help with my norge amp

pradski

Sorry folks,

I did one stupid thing, I think.

I just connected my amp speakers connections to my towers with avr.

That means one I connected directly to speaker and other one, as I did not have option to use directly I connected to the avr terminal of that speaker.
AVR was not ON, shortly that channel of my amp is not working.

Still want to make it clear, I connected my left terminal of amp with an extra wire to left front of AVR. thinking that it will continue. ( I never switched on the AVR) shortly my amp left channel stopped functioning.

So I opened up my amp checked all the connections and the fuses. ( the best I know) nothing worked. Now I have a stereo amp driving one speaker.

Can this be solved by ourselves or should I have to send to Shyam back.

Please let me know If you ever read this.

Thanks

Since you never switched the AVR on, it should not have added any power to the circuit. I believe you have not done any great damage.

Disconnect everything, connect the amp to the speakers directly, check your player to amp interconnects and try again. It is possible the issue could be from your source to the amp also.

I would suggest putting everything off, and starting from scratch.

Also try reversing the speaker connections. Left to right and right to left. This way you will be sure where the problem is. It is possible your speaker may be the culprit.

Cheers

Thanks venkat, I tried all the stunts and it definitely is dead. Even headphones only one channel is working. All my speakers are working and changing to other channel they work. Like cranky says it sure is dead.

Thanks cranky. Now I understood some part of it. Definitely not to try again.

I think I will send it for repair.

Thank you both once again.

I would have suspected the protection circuit to have kicked in for the Norge. If not, I am surprised wrt to the design of these amps. I won't comment on the quality yet.

My old emotiva went into protection when my cables shorted one time. But I never had to ship it back for repairs. Also, over many chats with their design engineers, I found out that they had 3 level of protection circuits built into the amps.

Pradski - What are your headphones connected to? If its the AVR, then it could be the AVR's channel that might have gone bust. Also if you have a y-cable, then disconnect the amp completely from all components, leave it shut off for few minutes. After this, connect just the 1 speaker to the faulty channel and play via the mp3 player (using the y-cable) and see if the channel is indeed bust.

Last edited:
Since you never switched the AVR on, it should not have added any power to the circuit. I believe you have not done any great damage.

Disconnect everything, connect the amp to the speakers directly, check your player to amp interconnects and try again. It is possible the issue could be from your source to the amp also.

I would suggest putting everything off, and starting from scratch.

Also try reversing the speaker connections. Left to right and right to left. This way you will be sure where the problem is. It is possible your speaker may be the culprit.

Cheers

Hi Sir,

AVR manuals states,pls do not make parallel connectins between A & B spk terminals.That meens same source also dont allow to do this.
So I think parallel conections btwn two source is not advisable.

Marsilians, my headphones were connected to the amp.
My AVR had gone in to protection mode. After switching off and on it was back to normal.
I wrote to MR Shyam Bajaj, he has asked me to send it back to rectify. I am sending it back. The problem is courier they are quoting 1500. ridiculous.

I have one more question,

HOw do I connect my amp out to speakers when already avr out is connected to the speakers. Will not the current flow retrogradely in to avr.
Do I have to disconnect the speakers from AVR whenever amp has to be connected or is their any other way of doing.

Thanks

HOw do I connect my amp out to speakers when already avr out is connected to the speakers. Will not the current flow retrogradely in to avr. Do I have to disconnect the speakers from AVR whenever amp has to be connected or is their any other way of doing.

The safest way is to manually switch the speaker to the AVR or amp depending upon what you are going to use. If you keep both on the same rack, it will mean a small effort.

Alternatively there are switch boxes available where you can have short runs going from the AVR and amp to the box, and a single pair of leads going to the speakers from the box. These boxes will have a rotary switch or a button to choose which amp you want to use. Some of retail establishments demoing multiple equipment use this.

Cheers

Marsilians, my headphones were connected to the amp.
My AVR had gone in to protection mode. After switching off and on it was back to normal.
I wrote to MR Shyam Bajaj, he has asked me to send it back to rectify. I am sending it back. The problem is courier they are quoting 1500. ridiculous.

You don't have to courier this do you? Normal package posting should do. Or take the cheapest courier service.

All of the above should be taken with insurance.

I have one more question,

HOw do I connect my amp out to speakers when already avr out is connected to the speakers. Will not the current flow retrogradely in to avr.
Do I have to disconnect the speakers from AVR whenever amp has to be connected or is their any other way of doing.

Thanks

Your AVR should connect to your amps via the "pre-outs" (RCA) connectors only for the corresponding channels. Your speakers will then connect to the AMP.

If you have an amp and its 2 channel, then you should not use the corresponding terminals on the AVR (say FL/FR). You can however connect speakers to the remaining terminals (C/SL/SR).

Hi,

I've been reading this thread from the beginning but didn't post due to some decision that I've taken regarding posting in this forum !

But it looks like you are in real trouble and thought I have to offer my help !

So if you want the Amp to be repaired I can get it done ! If Am not wrong you are from Mysore right ?? if you are willing to travel to Bangalore and leave the Amp I will do the needful !

Or else another idea is,there is a new member from Mysore who says he's designer of Amp and Speakers !! so you can check with him and see whether he'd like to have look at it and probably rectify it ! the ID rasibly or something !

Hope this is of some use !

Regards.

Thanks venkat, marsilians and soundsgreat.

Soundsgreat, thanks a lot. Since morning I was trying to courier and finally went to the same cargo sent by mr shyam and he took it for same price 480rs. I hope If I had waited or even if I had seen the post earlier it could have been better.

Marsilians,
I think we should use surface cargo than courier. couriers are expensive. I just learnt it today.

Venkat, I have seen the switches they use in demo's, are they available and what are called. Many members use avr and amps together, both the cables from amp and avr how are they connected to speakers, is it directly or do they use some switches.

Hi,

Ok no worries ! if you have sent to him them nothing like it ! I just wanted to help since you were facing some issues sending it back !

They'll be able to rectify it in no time ! hope you receive them soon !

Regards.

I would advise you to send the amp.back to the factory, as their service is excellent and may not even charge you for the parts or service, or even the return courier charges.They have original parts and their service is very quick.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back