Need inputs to set up a component based audio system - 200K INR

aditya.d

Dear friends and experts,

I would like to take your valued inputs in setting up a component based audio system. I am currently working in Netherlands and will be coming back to India mid 2014. After some research into Tube based amps, I was really interested in exploring an option of assembling an entry level audiophile component based system when I get back.

I am detailing some information below.

Budget:

The budget is 200K (with a ~20K leeway) limited to the following components -

1. Floor standing speakers the budget is 150K INR. My main listening tastes include Jazz, Guitar instrumentals, Female Vocals, Indian classical vocals as well as instrumentals, Indie Rock. In addition to these I also listen to Thrash Metal, death Metal but comparatively less (depends on the stress level :D). Is there an offering from Cadence audio in this range?
2. Tube amps - I was thinking of allocating a budget of 50 to 60K for the integrated Amp and DAC together (or the remaining budget left after purchase of the speakers). I have seen some good options from Yaqin and Dared (Chinese HiFi) but not sure if it is good idea to order from ebay are there any after sales service options in Pune / Mumbai? Are SETs better than push pull? I also understood that Cadence (Pune) has a good (Hybrid) Tube amp but that is prohibitively expensive for me at around 100K!
3. Tube DAC - I have a tidy collection of good quality music on my Mac Pro and would like to use this as a source. I also intend use the Mac as source for Internet Radio / Spotify if possible. The DAC will also be critical as I would be using audio output from my TV, while playing movies from my Laptop (Mac to TV video output using HDMI cable and TV to DAC audio input using Aux cable..is it doable? Is there a better way of doing this?)

Input devices intended to be used:

1. I have a PS3 which I would like to use as a source for Blu rays and audio CDs. (Here I havent been able to figure out the connections yet. I can use RCA cables to transfer the PS3 sound output to the Amp but how will I be able to transfer the video from PS3 to the TV?) I do not foresee me using a solid state AVR and the Tube amps do not support video..I guess (?)
2. Mac pro
3. iPhone

I have no idea as of now about the listening area as I am not sure about the new house I may move in to after coming back to India (Pune) but it will be a normal Hall size in a 2 bhk apartment (sorry for the vagueness here :sad:)

What I currently have:

Speakers:

1. I currently have a Phillips FW V 785 system in India. This system served me really well in my college days! I was Bass junkie in college days and the front firing Woox speakers were a joy to ear. The speakers always sounded good to me so I may even think of Trying the existing Phillips FW V 785 speakers before buying floor standers..Is it a good idea? The Speaker specifications are below.

3-way; Bass reflex system with front firing wOOx
Impedance: 6 ?
wOOx: 1 x 6.5" front firing wOOx driver
Woofer: 1 x 6.5"
Tweeter: 1 x 2"
Polydome Tweeter: 1 x 1"
Dimensions (w x h x d): 240 x 350 x 310 (mm)
Weight: 4.05 kg each

2. I also have a Yamaha Restio ISX 800 compact speaker system in my Netherlands home. This is an entry level audiophile compact system and I love it. I plan to take it back with me to India (as a bedroom speaker).

While in Europe I tried to explore an option buying the equipment from here and shipping to India but that is proving to be crazily expensive with VAT regulations here.

Thanks for helping me out with your thoughtscheers!

Your budget is quite good so I can suggest that you go in for a Peachtree integrated amp. They have two models, Decco 65 and Nova 125. The Decco is 65 RMS and the Nova is 125. These amps will meet most your requirements as they combine the following:
24/192 upsampling DAC(ESS Sabre 9023) which is one of the best available.
Integrated amp
Choice of SS or tube pre
Headphone amp.
The Peachtrees have an usb in which will connect directly to your Mac. You can choose between a SS or tube Pre depending on your taste.
There are also optical and coaxial inputs to connect your PS3 or TV.
I own a Decco 65 and the sound is excellent.
For speakers I suggest you go in for good pair of BS like KEF Q300 or MS Mezzo 2 or Epos Epic 2.
I heard the Decco with PMC Twenty 23 FS and the synergy is wonderful. But these will stretch your budget a bit.
The Decco 65 costs about 80k in India. I dont know the price of the Nova 125 in India. It costs 1499$ in USA.

for speakers, also look into the KEF R300 (around 110K). These are much better than the Q300 and are 3 way speakers. Also look into the revel performa3 s106 bookshelf speakers.

Thanks docd and alphacentury!

@Arun - is there a possibility that I can audition their Tube amps in Pune/Mumbai? I searched for the reviews/videos for their amps online but could not see any.

for speakers you should add the usher be 718 mini dancers to your list. if im not mistaken they will be a similar price in india while compared to europe as well.

I would highly recommend KEF R300 standmount speakers as well. I recently upgraded from KEF Q300s to R300s and they're amazingly better. If it's floorstanders you want you could also consider KEF R500, they seem to be the sweetspot in the R series. You can read my initial impression about the marantz PM8005 and KEF R300 here Marantz PM8005 review by Aloy - Engadget

I demo'd Tannoy DC6, MA RX2/GX50/GX100, Dynaudio Excite X16, KEF LS50 and B&W CM1/CM5 before I bought the R300s. None of them match the clarity of the R300s. The Dynaudio and B&W speakers had me thinking for a while but then after extended listening they didn't quite match up to the R300s.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back